Friday, April 8, 2011

Racism in Utah

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-racism-investigation-at-alta-high-expected-to-wrapup-20110408,0,63893.story

So, I'm putting the above link up because it is the most recent article written on the problems that have been going on at Alta High School. The media has been aware of two racist incidents, one where a student wore an outfit similar to a KKK outfit, and then another incident involving text messages with pictures of burning crosses. However, there are apparently more problems going on in the school. The administration doesn't really seem to know exactly what to do. I think being a teacher is a lot harder than we think, especially in an area that is so politically, religiously, and culturally homogeneous.

I had an experience last night that got me thinking about the fine line that teachers have to walk. I'm a swim coach and last night I was asked to help out with two swimmers after practice because their mom couldn't be there to pick them up right away. My husband and I went to dinner with them and it was startling how many racist/homophobic comments came out of their mouths. These boys are good kids, but they kept making comments that made fun of Muslims, illegal immigrants, and gays. It was hard for me to know what to say because I am in a position of leadership and power, and yet, I still have to answer to their parents, who I am sure are teaching their children these things. I wonder how teachers in a school address issues like this, especially because parents will get so worked up over what is being taught to their kids. So, here's the question: How to we teach kids tolerance and respect and love, without getting in trouble from their parents?

9 comments:

  1. This is a real challenge.
    I think one thing to remember is that much of our culture we don't learn in the home, but the hallway. I remember in high school a teacher commenting on some of my language that I didn't even realize was racial, discriminatory, etc.. My parents certainly hadn't taught me this things, but I'd still picked them up somewhere along the way.
    Certainly some homes will have negative reactions to school efforts to promote tolerance, but I think that it's often a better gamble to try to help the students in school and possibly have some angry parents than to neglect it in our schools.
    --trace lund

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that I know always worked on me, with any issue, was to get me to really think about what I was saying, doing, or writing. A lot of these kids would not have the same attitude if they were to actually know the people that they were insulting and think about the impact that their words/attitudes have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good question. I think that we can teach children tolerance and respect for diversity by simply making them aware of it. I think that so often kids make racial remarks that they don't even think about because it is simply a part of their language and culture...such as saying if something is "gay", etc. I think making them aware of their remarks and informing them that their words and actions can be offensive to others will get them to reevaluate the way that they speak and behave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this all comes down to discipline and example from leadership. You have no control over what the parents teach them, but some kids just have no idea that what they are doing is wrong or offensive. I had an experience once when I was being mean to a kid in my class, but until my teacher said something to me, I didn't even realize I was being mean. But once she said something I was very grateful and learned a lesson. This won't solve all problems with discrimination, but i think if we're ever in a situation to practice this it could make a small difference.

    Tara Brough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a little extreme leftist thinking for you: If we abolish the family, we can interrupt the processes that pass along bigotry from generation to generation. Raising children in a different kind of institution would ensure that they are raised with the values of the society (tolerance, etc.). Just a thought. I'd like to hear some reactions to this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea to fight intolerance by being intolerant of the family unit for a perceived flaw is just silly. People are constantly trying to fight intolerance with intolerance but it's a ridiculous and circular logic that can only continue to replace itself.

    Not only that but the idea that we should be tolerant of everything must have come from the mind of someone in complete self denial. Everyone makes a stand at some point. Whether it's a parent who doesn't tolerate bad behavior in their child, a young adult who won't tolerate others ridiculing his mother, or a country that won't tolerate people breaking the law, we all have values that we stand by and will not tolerate the violation of those values. What you really want is understanding not a delusion people like to term as "tolerance."

    When possible the best thing a teacher can do is try to help kids understand different cultures and practices. Then you hope that the child is mature enough to turn that understanding into empathy. Even if the child is not yet that mature, generally speaking, when kids grow up and gain maturity if they were taught well then there's a much greater chance for understanding and empathy. The answer seems to me to be to help others understand. When understanding is successful there is almost always an increase in love.

    One last note on tolerance. Not only is tolerance implausible but it is also completely undesirable for a country that is built around the rule of law. There will always be things that we do not tolerate. That is what keeps this country and it's people safe. So don't fight intolerance fight for your values. Otherwise you are just fighting to replace someone else's intolerance with your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that a lot of teens speak based on whatever they are hearing in school. I don't think a lot of thought goes into many of the things that they say. I do believe that it is important to take the opportunities to teach teens when the occassion arises. If you worry about offending parents maybe you can teach by posing questions that make them think. I work with teens all day and a lot of what comes out of their mouths is for show rather than a reflection of what they truly believe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the best way to solve this problem is to pro,ote diversity in the classroom. If there is diversity from a young age, children will learn that race shouldn't make a difference in how you treat another person. I think that growining up in a primarily white neighborhood has influenced my opinons on certain issues, and I was glad to come to a relatively diverse college so I could get different opinions on critical issues. So therefore I believe promoting diversity and celebrating it in schools could go along way to solving this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that there is a way for teachers to still teach important principles without coming off preachy or overstepping their bounds. I recognize that there is a fine line, and that it can be difficult to straddle at times, but i still think that they have a moral obligation to assist parents in helping them rear their children with good morals.

    ReplyDelete