Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Redefining Race

The following video gives an example of what race and ethnicity is becoming in the United States. The line between races is thinning and the United States is, and is becoming more, a melting pot of ethnicities. These students tell their backgrounds and races, which they say doesn't completely define them, because they are also Americans. Their heritage consists of two parts that they may wish to be seen all as one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7La5JgOUk

What is it that actually defines us as Americans? What are the benefits to having a melting pot of races, ethnicity, and culture in the United States?

2 comments:

  1. We live in a globalized world, where the exchange of ideas and products has allowed for the exchange/immigration of people. The United States has also experienced this melting pot effect. Nowadays the typical American stereotype has a more broad definition. There are many people who were born in the United States, and might look like Chinese or Mexican. However, they are still Americans. Race and ethnicity diversity should be celebrated. Diversity fosters opportunities to understand people from different backgrounds. Diversity helps us understand “life” from different angles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this video because I felt that I could relate to the girl who was both Chinese and American. I am half Mexican and half White but I feel like I can't really identify myself as either of these races. I define myself as American because it is the only way I can see myself since I was born and grew up in America. Having this melting pot of cultures will help America become more tolerant and accepting of ethnicity and culture. We will be able to define all Americans as people who live in America even though we will have different races and cultures in the United States.

    ReplyDelete