Here is the link for my post if you are interested in taking a look!
The statics of this forum may come as a surprise to many
members of the church. Even as I went through and looked at the different
subject matter, I was shocked to find that some information about Mormons were
statistically lower than expected. As I grew up in the church, there were
fundamental principles, such as going to church or prayer, that were put into
my head that I followed and thought that many followed as well. To my surprise,
this forum has proven me wrong and that there are many who identify themselves
as Mormon but do not follow those simple principles as strongly I thought
everyone did.
As members of the church, we do feel much discrimination
against in many aspects of our faith. We currently have a candidate for the
republican presidential nomination who identifies himself as a Mormon.
Unfortunately, many do not fully understand what Mormon’s really believe and
look on websites that are incorrect on the doctrines in which we believe. These
issues have been brought up to this candidate and he has handled these issues
well but many are still unsatisfied with his answers. As citizens of the United
States of America, we have amendments that protect our rights. It still
fascinates me how many citizens are still discriminated against, whether it is
for their religion, race, or sexual orientation.
As I read this forum and looked at the graphs, I began to
understand why maybe the statistics were as I thought would have been. This
survey was only asked to people who identified themselves as Mormons,
therefore, they may not live the lifestyle of a Mormon but just identify
themselves as such. I also observed that the candidates who were asked the
questions were eighteen years of age or older. Some of the statistics would not
necessarily be applicable to those of younger age than to those of an older
generation.
Growing up in a community where my close neighbors were
not members is a blessing given to me. I have been able to share the gospel
with those around me. Even if it is not the first discussion, the presence I
share of happiness and caring has been able to bless those not of my faith. I
think by understanding that many are inactive or struggling to come to an
understanding of the gospel or even those not of our faith will benefit us and
give us opportunities to share our testimony or even give a helping hand to
these individuals in need.
Merrili Taylor Gardner
I think many problems in society come from a lack of understanding. Much of the persecution against the church comes from people not really understanding the principles that we believe. And we judge others harshly for what they say about us, when they may have have talked to a member of the LDS Church who was not faithful. But how was that person supposed to know that that person was not an active member in the church. I think that we need to understand where people are coming from on both sides of every issue. And that will allow us to fix issues or problems that arise.
ReplyDeleteBrad Bohman
Another thing that I think builds upon both the post and the comment is something that came up in my Book of Mormon class. My professor is Brother Griffin, and in class the other day, he said, "the church we belong to is a perfect church, but it is full of imperfect people." I find it sad that non-members often judge the whole church based on the actions of one single person. As people sometimes identify themselves as Mormons even though they don't live by the standards the church has set out for us, I don't think they realize that they sometimes turn people off to the church because of it. I wish, though, that those non-members would realize that we are imperfect. We make mistakes. We don't always do the things we should, but the Gospel doctrine and teachings remain perfect. I think that's also important for us young members of the church to remember as well; some of the people we look up to might slip up sometimes, but that's okay. We can learn from our mistakes and grow as members of the church and as individuals.
ReplyDeleteAndrea Larimer
I also found it shocking about the percentages of how many Mormons read their scriptures and attend church weekly. The most shocking is the statement that only 82% believe that religion is important in their lives. Growing up in a very religious family as well as in a church-structured area has given me false perceptions about how many Mormons really view their religion. I believe that some of that comes from the people who have felt the spirit confirm the truth of the gospel, but are not ready to participate in the church fully, or make the sacred covenants necessary for baptism or temple attendance. I definitely think that if this survey was done with members who hold temple recommends, many of the percentages would be much higher. These graphs really made me reflect on the blessings of being at BYU and being surrounded daily by members whose testimonies are so strong, and who undoubtedly believe that this religion is extremely important in their lives.
ReplyDeleteMelanie Vincent
I have to agree with all of the posts that have been made. That being said, I think that the Lord has given us all a wonderful opportunity with this "Mormon in the news" to at least get peoples attentions and get them to ask the who, what, where, when and whys of mormonism. My hope is that we as latter day saints take this opportunity to set the record straight once and for all!
ReplyDeleteRobert M Mena