Friday, February 3, 2012

Discrimination in an Unmentioned Topic


Discrimination, prejudice, diversity, cultural differences – can you guess what I am talking about?
“Let’s see, he used those words, so… it has to be about race! Or gender! Or wait, maybe sexual preferences.”
Nope, keep trying.
“Is it Class? socioeconomic status? Religion? Disabilities?”
Any other ideas? No? Do you think that list covers them all? Is there nowhere else people are divided or discriminated against?

This post is about a culture that is the subject of prejudice and discrimination that millions in the USA participate in, but no one seems to realize that what they are doing is discrimination. This culture is homeschoolers.

“Homeschoolers? Is that a culture? Is that something discriminated against?”
Take a moment and think about this… Are you starting to understand what I mean? How many time have you heard – or said yourself – comments like, “that guy is so awkward, he must be a homeschooler,” or “homeschoolers are so weird,” or any one of the hundreds of such phrases that I have heard.
If you haven’t guessed already, I’ll go ahead and tell you: I’m a homeschooler. Have been since the fourth grade and up until coming to BYU. So, we’re different? Sure, I’d say we are, or at least can be. We have a different lifestyle, a different culture. But, a worse one? Really, what are the differences in the two cultures?

 Maybe a list will help:
1)      Public schoolers have to learn how to make friends – Homeschoolers have to learn how to keep the friends they have.
2)      Public schoolers learn with their peers – Homeschoolers learn with their parents/family.
3)      Public schoolers have to learn at the class’s pace – Homeschoolers learn at their own.
4)      Public schoolers interact with people their own age – Homeschoolers have to interact with people of all different ages.
5)      Public schoolers have to learn how to “fit in” with the group – Homeschoolers already fit into their group.

There are more things I could list, and of course these I do list don’t define everyone, but at least it is a start in forming a picture of what is going on.

So then, what do these differences cause? Obviously the difference causes homeschoolers to be socially awkward and inferior – right? Might as well go up to a black person and say “hey, your culture makes you poor, lazy, and dumb!” or approach a woman and say “hey, your gender makes you flighty, emotional, and weak!” Please don’t be that ignorant…
Take myself, for example. Am I socially awkward? Sometimes, yeah, but obviously not so bad that people are afraid to bash homeschoolers in front of me (I usually just silently listen, and let them continue on in their ignorance). But in exchange for my possible weaknesses in socializing with peers, I instead have become much more proficient in socializing with adults. In fact, I can usually hold a conversation with someone twice my age far better than my public schooled peers. Can I make friends as easily? Probably not, but the friendships I do make are rich and full, and are likely to last for a lifetime. Aside from these two things, my homeschooling also taught me how to self-motivate (I had to set my own time for finishing assignments long before college), I had the opportunity to spend more time with and become even closer to my family, and I learned more in my studies than almost any public schooler I meet.

Now I don’t say these things for the sake of tooting my own horn, or to say that homeschoolers are better, but I think it is important to understand that a different culture doesn’t mean a bad one. I chose to be homeschooled, and while I missed out on many aspects of a public school life, I also gained in many other areas. So, yeah, I might not fit precisely into your culture, but don’t diss mine – because I wouldn’t change it for the world.

-John Richardson



7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, props to John for posting about something that isn't often discussed. I think the important take home message from any discussion about discrimination is to no judge others based on preconceived notions. So I will concede that the same may be applied to all different types of cultures, even students who are home schooled.

    And although I think that it is important not to judge, I also think that attacking stereotypes because they are stereotypes is often useless. Stereotypes exist because of social phenomenon that occur in a particular culture. That doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong.

    Let me give you an example. Is it stereotyping to say that women are shorter than men? No. Statistically women are shorter than men. However if I said to a woman, 'you are a woman, therefore you are shorter than most men.' That would be using stereotypes incorrectly. The danger in stereotypes is when we apply them to individuals, as in the case I just illustrated.

    So my point, hating people or calling them ignorant because they believe 'stereotypes' is hypocritical and stereotyping stereotypers. Again, to assume that stereotyping is false simply on the premise that it is a stereotype is even more ignorant than believing stereotypes.

    I empathize with you if someone has assumed that you were socially awkward because you were home schooled. This is an improper use of stereotypes.

    Also, what did the person above me comment on?

    -Taber Gibbons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you are right, people should not judge you or "diss" you because you're home schooled. However, I felt that the differences that you listed were very one sided. You failed to list any negative aspects of being home schooled. There are two sides to every story, and you have implied that being home schooled is the right option for everyone. Everyone learns differently and just because home schooling worked for you, it doesn't mean that you are smarter or better than everyone else. Home schooling can be a great thing for some families, but it is definitely not for everyone.

    Courtney Heyrend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that home schooled children often have superior skills at working independently and implementing self-discipline in their lives. Those of us who have participated in the public school system potentially have different strengths and weaknesses than homeschoolers because of the different experiences we have had.

      Likewise, people of different cultures or races have often had unique experiences compared to other people in the world. They may have gained different strengths and weaknesses than others. It is inappropriate to compare the skills and attitudes of one race to another because people have had unique experiences and everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

      Jess Blockburger

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That post was so awkward... you must be a homeschooler.

    Jussst kidding. I agree that there is definitely a stereotype that labels homeschoolers as a tad bit socially awkward. When I was attending community college I met a lot of homeschooled teens who were taking college classes to get credit before actually going to college. I think they were a pretty good representation of the average population of homeschooled kids: a few were a little different, but most of them fit in just as well as everyone else.

    I agree that homeschooled kids get to learn at their own pace. That really stood out among the homeschooled kids at my college, especially the ones interested in math. By the time they went to college, they had already completed the calculus sequence, diff. eq., AND linear algebra (the highest level of math offered at my school). Very few of my high school peers were able to go that far in math before graduation, simply because it's hard to get THAT far ahead when you're in public school.

    But as you said, instead of peers, you had your family. I think that learning to get along with others who were not raised in the exact same way that you were is an indispensable part of going to school. At school you deal with peer pressure, public speaking, and teachers with different teaching styles and personalities. I think all of those things are important, and fairly difficult to gain exposure to if you learn at home.

    But as you and some commenters said, public schooling and homeschooling both have advantages and disadvantages. It's impossible to say that either is always better or always worse. It depends on the kid and the situation.

    Kali Shiloh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that you brought this up becasue even though I was not homeschooled I have seen this huge bias and prejudice against homeschooled children (or those who are now adults, like yourself). Not only that but it is so refreshing to take a step back and look at other topics and groups who receive the same stereotyping that is applied to more prominent groups like race and gender. Discrimination happens everywhere but we hardly focus on it outside of those first main groups that you mentioned (ie. race, gender, religion, etc...).
    But I'd also like to add something I have come to find about this particular stereotype and bias-it isn't even close to accurate. I mean I'm sure there are many shy kids who have been homeschooled and even socially awkward ones, but I honestly have not seen so many as to really see these stereotype as true characteristics for even most of them. My best friend in the world is one of the sweetest, funniest, and most congenial people I know and he was homeschooled. He's the type of guy who everyone wants to be friends with, we all know people like that, don't we? And most of these people we probably met in public school too. So what does that say about him? Homeschooled all his life and everyone likes him just as much, if not more than, everyone else they know.
    It's situations like these that really are an eye opener to prejudice and discrimination because they are such simple differences.
    I'm really glad you brought this up, it makes a great point.

    Ciera Laws

    ReplyDelete