This painting really made me think about poverty and the American government. The economy today that is really suffering is being blamed on Obama. In the painting, he is even stepping on the constitution which is a very unpatriotic thing to do, just like most of the things (in most people's opinion) that Obama is doing. Coming from another country, I do not know much about the American government, but I do hear that a lot of people are blaming the president for their problems. As is apparent in this painting.
I love the fact that the older presidents that were really liked are concentrating on the average man. I think this is something that a lot of people feel. The older presidents would care much more about the people than the current ones who only care about themselves. They are the true Americans, the ones who really made a difference and today, Americans are looking for someone like them to direct to country once again.
I really like all the messages that are found in this painting, and all the small bits of information that the artist provides. I think everyone should take a look at it and spend a few minutes learning from the painting.
Michelle Lupien
I really enjoy this painting and think that it's message is clear, however I think there are a few things we should take into account as well.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, while it appears at first that previous presidents were more concerned about the regular man, we have to remember that these presidents lead a completely different type of people and in a different time. We cannot fairly compare the 2 groups without taking this into consideration.
Second, we also need to acknowledge that presidents in the earlier years of our country the president started with a fresher pallet compared to today's leaders. Obama, for example, may have had a more successful presidential term if he had not entered in to office at this crucial and troubled time in our country's life.
I think that while we should be critical of our leadership, I don't believe we can judge them at face value to those who have come before.
Previous comment by Palolo Prince
DeleteI have to agree with Palolo and may I add some other thoughts.
ReplyDeleteFirst, what a lot of people fail to realize is the power of the president is not at all what many make it out to be. There is a reason why there are three sections of government to check and balance each other. Any one of the three sections of government could have stayed Obama's hand but instead they have used him as a scape goat to shift the blame off of the fact they they themselves are botching things up just as badly. Several high ranking officials are as much to blame for the turmoil we are in as Obama is. Several state governors have agreed to bailouts of companies in which the CEOs were given astronomically high Christmas bonuses (here I thought it was going to pay off debts accrued).
The true pathogenic strain in this country right now is not that Obama is trampling the constitution it is that everyone is trying to rip off their own piece with no regard for the "other". Getting something for nothing ("you deserve it") is Americas new policy it seems with things like "occupy wall street", bail outs, abuse of the welfare system, etc.
This post is not advocating Obama's policies or in support of any political agenda I just think that in order for America to return to the luster that it once displayed its going to take every citizen. Just like it took rallying together to get through such times as the great depression and both world wars, so it will take everyone contributing to the cause instead of blaming one man for all the ails of society.
That being said, I think that for the next go around we should "ask not what our country could do for us but what we could do for our country".
That last comment was made by Robert M. Mena. Sorry I forgot to state my name
ReplyDeleteAs an artist, I appreciate John McNaughton's work and the powerful statement he created without using any words. I agree with the comment by Robert Mena about how President Obama can't shoulder all of the blame for the problems in our country. This blame goes to the many selfish people who feel that they deserve more and yet have given nothing. It seems that everywhere we turn someone thinks they deserve to be a rich man, from healthcare to the mortgage industry, they are abusing the system. Everyone complains that government spending is out of control, yet no one is willing to give up their special interest group and the benefits they have.
ReplyDeleteI agree with all the previous statements above that Obama cannot be entirely blamed for the current condition that America is in. This problem wasn’t created in a single night, nor by a single person.
ReplyDeleteJohn McNaughton’s controversial painting brilliantly displayed his personal views of America in a symbolic way. When I saw the image of President Obama standing on the constitution, I specifically thought of statements made by modern day prophets that the constitution will hang by a thread. It is scary thinking about the truth of this prophecy and then observing the world today.
Nalia Tafua
I think the most important aspects of this painting are not necessarily the people in it. Although my political views don't match with Obama's and I don't agree with some of his actions, I think he has much less power than the average American thinks. I think the Legislative branch has more to do with our political and economic problems than anything else, since they are the ones that actually are creating the policy. (But I realize why they couldn't be put in the painting)
ReplyDeleteI think the most telling part of the painting are the papers on the ground representing different amendments and acts. Each one of these amendments is being applied differently than any of the original writers could possibly have predicted. I don't think it is a political party issue either. While those in the painting that are ignoring the forgotten man are mostly Democrats, I think the fourth amendment has been more violated by George W. Bush with the Patriot Act than by any one else. I think that twisting and destroying the rights of the citizens of the United States is a large factor in our social problems that are leading to the troubles of the average "Forgotten Man".
Landon Morgan