Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Harlem Children's Zone

We have all viewed this video on The Harlem Children's Zone but there were many things that were not discussed because of our short class period. 
I was hoping that some of you would review this video and share your thoughts.


As said in the video around 4:25 jumping to 4:45 of the video Mr. Geoffrey Canada promised and stuck behind his promise to ensure that students would do well and even fire instructors to keep the promise. Canada's plan to ensure students do well has had its falls but as he said in his promise he has fired some teachers to ensure better education. In the article "Lauded Harlem Schools Have Their Own Problems" from the New York Times Canada's promise is still going forward to make sure students are being educated effectively,


"But most of the seventh graders, now starting their third year in the school, are still struggling. Just 15 percent passed the 2010 state English test, a number that Mr. Canada said was “unacceptably low” but not out of line with the school’s experience in lifting student performance over time. Several teachers have been fired as a result of the low scores, and others were reassigned, he said."(NYT)


Another part of this video that stood out to me was when Canada had said he bribed the students with trips and money to help them want to do well in school. Around 6:10 of the video Canada promotes the idea to bribe the students to do well so they could stay away from troubles and look forward to do well in school. 


In many occasions bribing may not be good for students, but in this occasion I believe it is a great idea. These students have the opportunity to change their lives and are rewarded if they do well. If they follow and choose to do well they are rewarded, and with that opportunity for these students whom come from poor and violent neighborhoods they may not be oppressed by their backgrounds. When they feel they are not oppressed from their background they tend to do better in school and are successful. Bribing may not be good, but in this situation I think Geoffrey Canada is a great man that leaves many doors of opportunities for his students through his program/school and bribing.
-Carlos Galvao

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this idea of putting less fortunate kids in a school such as this one is something that might not change the world but it will most certainly make it a better place . IF we can't save a billion kids there is still no problem in saving the lives and futures of maybe 300,000 or 10. I would love to contribute to this project if I ever get the chance.

    Jaycob Brugman

    ReplyDelete
  3. This attempt at steering America towards Equality of Condition is very noble. The real trick is telling the kids that they are going to go to college. Kids will form to the roles that the people around them tell them they are. In many cases, this is bad; the people around them tell them that they are poor, hopeless, and have no chance for a successful life. Now these kids believe that they are expected to work hard and go to college, so they will. We need to find a way to do this in all schools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really impressed by this idea. I am a firm believer that even helping change one persons life for the better is worth it. What Geoffrey Canada is doing is changing many people's lives. He is trying to see what works and when something doesn't, he changes it. It is an interesting system but over time it will be more and more efficient and he will be able to help more and more people have opportunities that they never would have had otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was fascinated by the concept of this idea. Even though, this is not a drastic change in the world; it is by small actions of kindness that great changes come to happen. But more importantly, I think this a great example for these kids that will take with them the value of education and hard work. Also I think that these kids will help in return in the future to other kids just like they were helped. This is a really intriguing system. I wonder if third world countries could also apply this idea with the help of international entities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this idea intriguing. I was very impressed with what Geoffrey Canada is doing and everything he's sacrificing for these children to start them off in a good place. While bribing young children is usually frowned upon, I believe that in this case it will be good for them. Kids starting school for the first time, no matter what socio economic status they come from, don't usually understand the value of education at such a young age. These Harlem Students need the incentive to get them started on the right path with hopes that they will value education intrinsically in the future and continue to succeed.
    -Kaile Knell

    ReplyDelete
  7. The people who seem to get the raw end of the deal are the teachers. Although the teachers need to be taking more responsibility for the learning that is going on in their classrooms, they can't be expected to take full responsibility. My wife is a teacher and from her I have heard of the frustration teacher's have with students who just don't care about their schooling. In the end, the responsibility for the education of the student falls on the teacher and the student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people who seem to get the raw end of the deal are the teachers. Although the teachers need to be taking more responsibility for the learning that is going on in their classrooms, they can't be expected to take full responsibility. My wife is a teacher and from her I have heard of the frustration teacher's have with students who just don't care about their schooling. In the end, the responsibility for the education of the student falls on the teacher and the student.

      Austin Burdge

      Delete
  8. I thought the bribing was an interesting concept, one I hadn't seen implemented on such a large scale or in a school system before hearing of this program. At first, I thought it was a dangerous idea to bribe children but I like what Canada says, "Sure, I'd love them to do it for the intrinsic values but until then I love them to do it for money. I don't care. I just want them to do it!" Money is a huge motivator for many people especially those in the circumstances found in Harlem. Motivation with money allows these children the drive to accomplish that which they will appreciate later.

    The other worry I had with bribing high schoolers with up to $120 per month is that some might use this money to access drugs or weapons prevalent in their community. Looking at other aspects of the HCZ though, I assume there are strict precautions set out against drug use. Hopefully, these will deter students from accessing these dangerous substances.

    -Sarah Overson

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved learning of this project in class and what is being implemented. As other fellow students who have preceded me have said, it is interesting to see this program being implemented on such a large scale. I love that Mr. Geoffrey is trying so hard to change these children's lives but I couldn't help but feel sad when I saw the parents whose children didn't get into the school. Is it possible to get other schools to implement programs like this one? Maybe not as big but same idea and concept? I believe that so many children have potential to make it big they just do not have the sources, means, or access to make it possible. This story definitely made me think! Loved it and love what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great idea to have such a strict and intense school. Lots of people have commented thus far on the bribing aspect. I remember my dad trying to bribe me. I'd get $50 for every A that I got. Likewise, I had to pay $20 for ever B and $75 for every C. I found myself trying to get good grades just for that short amount of time. I didn't look at the bigger picture nearly as much. I think that the same effect could happen with the kids at this school. With the first comment on how only 15% of kids passed the english test, it doesn't appear that bribing is currently what will make the difference. What the school is going to hopefully accomplish in the end though will come from the many other means of success that the school brings in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am worried that Mr. Canada is teaching the children of Harlem that they deserve special attention and rewards. No other schools offer monetary rewards for their students; giving the students money will not help us achieve equality for students of different races and socioeconomic statuses. The teaching style of this school is also different from that of other schools in the nation which means that the children will be accustomed to different levels of learning than their peers when the get to college. The children of Harlem may struggle during college because they have be taught to learn a different way.

    Jess Blockburger

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed watching this film in class. I was amazed at what one man could do to help change the lives of so many young people. I think that this could absolutely be duplicated and it will be interesting to see if this happens in the near future. This project is amazing and I am very impressed with people, like Canada, who give their time, money, and efforts to help better the lives of those around them.
    Alison Graves

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my Psychology class we have been talking recently about the school system and their methods of teaching children. The whole goal is to keep kids in the "normal" range, and to give everyone an "equal" chance, even if that means lowering the standards so that everyone can fit in (i.e., it doesn't matter if everyone does poorly, as long as everyone does equally as poorly). The difference in this school seems to be the focus on making students the best, not the average. That goal is reflected in the success they have had.

    ReplyDelete