NPR always helps me in my time of need, like finding something relevant to post about this class. Apparently interracial marriages are on a high. According to the article because of the prevalence of these marriages they are challenging race. Children of these marriages are called brokers, and are like liaison between the races. I can see this as being a good thing for society. It has the potential to continue to blur the lines of race.
It seems like 10 years ago interracial marriages were still a topic of concern among Americans. Growing up my parents told us that marriage was hard enough and to marry someone from a different race would just complicate things. However, my oldest sister went against their wishes started dating a man from India who has lived in Canada most of his life. Parents did not approve, and this lead to my sister eloping without my parents knowledge. My sister and brother-in-law have been happily married for over 10 years. It is funny how a social construction can separate families and cause conflict. However, now in this article they make the point that interracial families are actually helping to bring people together erasing divides that might have once been there.
I recently had a conversation with a woman who was trying to get her daughter into modeling. This mother indicated that her daughter would have a distinct advantage--the young girl was both black and Cambodian--a combination that the mother told me would call the attention of judges and modeling scouts. As I pondered what she told me, I realized that in recent years most T.V. shows for young people have been very diversely cast--and I think it has had a great influence on breaking down race barriers among the younger generation. Having been exposed to interracial relationships on shows from "Power Rangers" to "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody," more and more young people don't judge on race but on the qualities a person possesses. As you the author of this post indicated, however, such contrasting thoughts between two generations can be a source of ill-feeling between family members.
ReplyDeleteMatthew Whited
My mom actually had an inter-race marriage and she attributes a lot of her marital problems to the differences in culture. I also married inter-racially and can see some definite differences in culture as well. Sometimes its difficult and I would agree with those that say that it is hard, however, it is definitely something one can overcome. You have to remind yourself that you are as much of an influence on your spouse as they are on you.
ReplyDeleteRobert Mena
I have many friends who are in inter-race marriage. They don't just talk about difficulties of their different backgrounds and culture. They say even though the U.S is becoming more and more acceptable towards interracial marriage, inter-racially married people still suffer from discrimination and prejudges of others. Not only them, their kids also face these things at school and other places. I don't mean they always treated like this but i think that this kind of records do not solve anything or help some people to understand interracial marriage is a normal thing that people do. It is true that interracial marriage does reduce racism other related issues, but it does not
ReplyDeleteEnkhee Chuluun
After thinking about the possible complications associated with interracial marriages, I am very curious to know if the issue is not so much race, but blatant religious or cultural differences. People who are of similar race but have different core beliefs they were raised on may have just as many issues. While I do feel that race may play a part in some complications in marriage, it is interesting to think about how different things might be if a black and white interracial marriage would differ from others if one of the two was raised in the same environment as the other, raised with the same beliefs, same circumstances, and same exposure to discrimination. It may make no difference at how marriage is handled but it would be interesting to see.
ReplyDeleteSara Gines
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePersonally, if it were not for interracial marriages, I would not be here. My father is a white man who grew up in Arizona and married my mom who is a full Japanese woman who was born and raised in Japan. Although it raised a few questions, nobody protested their marriage. If anyone were to have made a big deal of it, it would have been my mothers parents, and they were fine with the situation as long as my mother was happy. I think that interracial marriages are a wonderful thing. It is nice to know two cultures can blend and create bonds and bridges over the gaps that already exist. Naturally, it is difficult to approach the unknown, especially in todays world of stereotypes and biases, but that is something each individual needs to overcome on their own. In my opinion, race only complicates a marriage if you allow it to. I'm half Japanese and half Caucasian and my parents have never objected to any boy I dated, even if they were not the same race as me. I think if you are black, white, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Hispanic, Polynesian, or anything else, if you are in love with a person, then it truly is what is on the inside that matters.
ReplyDeleteAlso, honestly, problems arise in all marriages, I think that some people use race as a scape-goat when they have nowhere else to place the blame. I am sure this does not apply to everyone, but I am confident it applies to some.
If people are still making a big deal of interracial marriages, then it is something they need to deal with on their own and not push the beliefs onto others.
Michelle M. Grant
I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, interracial marriages break down racial divides as cultures are mixed and accepted. On the other hand, cultural and religious barriers exist due to race differences in marriages. Is there a right or wrong to this increasing trend? I believe not.
ReplyDeleteI know many couples who are of different races who are exceptionally happy. I know some who struggle. Is race the issue behind the two extremes? Maybe, maybe not. I do feel that media has taken an approach to show interracial relationships and it is becoming more publicly accepted.
This is very different from the time when Mexicans started moving to America and many Mexican women married Indian men. They were not supported. Today, if you marry into a different race, it is almost like you are liberal and embracing the new way of American culture. Times change. I feel there will always be issues and differences to be overcome in marriages. Race might be one of those for some. But I don't feel it is a factor that shy away from just because it might be harder. -Kimberly Anderson
Growing up, I remember my parents briefly mentioning that dating or marrying someone from a different race could make things harder. They said that marriage was already hard enough, and complicating it with a different culture, would simply make things harder. I think they saw inter-race marriage, in the same light that they see inter-religion marriages. They simply want to make life easier for me. My grandmother on the other hand, when my cousin started dating an African-American, she was talking to me and said, "But he's black!" And I simply answered "so?". She promptly corrected herself and said that, race didn't matter, it was just that she did not expect it.
ReplyDeleteAs I consider my opinion, I don't see a problem with any race. I think marriage comes from two people who love each other and who fit well together. If that is how two people feel, good for them! Who cares if they are not of the same race. By considering the opinions and ideals of three generations, it looks like racism is slowly starting to peel away from our minds. I hope that one day, maybe in the next generation, it will completely disappear. I guess I can hope...
Michelle Lupien
I agree that interracial marriages are good for society. Race doesn’t define a person, nor can qualities be assumed because of one’s race. Two people of different races could have more in common than two people of the same race. Interracial marriages at a high show how far we have come to racial tolerance and acceptance. It used to be forbidden for whites and blacks to marry. Although some disapprove of interracial marriages, I think it helps us see the similarities, not differences between people as human beings, not races.
ReplyDelete-JoAnna Ward
A lot of times I heard some of my friends saying that they were never gonna married someone from a different race. It didn'y happen. I guess love overcome race. Pretty much all of them had to overcome different ideas in their marriages but actually those things have helped them appreciate their spouse and where they're coming from. I truly believe that at least socializing with different races can give us a broader idea on their culture, as well a understanding on how everyone share the same values.
ReplyDeleteYarelly L. Ovalle
Abby,
ReplyDeleteI love your post! I think that it is wonderful how relevant the subject matter is, and how it relates so closely with our in-class discussions.
I actually started dating an African American awhile back, and I too had someone comment to me after a few dates with him, "Are you okay with having black children?" I found that comment interesting; I really had not thought about the fact that if I did end up with this young man that my children would not look like me, but if one adopts a child they may not look like them either. I find it interesting that people sadly do still discriminate based on race. I do believe that mixed racial marriages can be just as happy and successful as any other, but I also do see how interracial marriages could complicate things more, because they often may have been raised differently (depending on where they came from,) they may have different cultures, and/or beliefs, etc. Although, the same thing could be said for two Caucasians; one may have grown up in New York, while the other may have been raised in South Africa, would they be judged the same way?
Brooke Irvin
I believe interracial marriage can work and some people may have problems as well. But don't people also have problems in marriages where they are different religions or even social classes? I think it's not merely race that may cause problems in a marriage but the difference in culture.
ReplyDeleteSociety has come to a point where interracial marriage is acceptable but there are still those people who believe marriage should be between the same races. I think in the end marriage should come down to whether or not the people love each other. I know many people who are in interracial marriages and they don't really have many problems other than their cultures but they find a way to contribute both of their cultures in their families.
Celia Rivera
I think interracial marriage is a great thing. Like Jonathon Brent said, “"Race is a social construct; race isn't real," so it shouldn’t keep up from marrying and having relationships with certain people. Also, having children that belong to multiple races will help us erase the black and white boundaries. We need to see that we do not all belong to isolated sub-groups, but we function as one people. I hope that people will continue to be more open to interracial marriage. By being close-minded, the only people they are hurting are themselves.
ReplyDeleteAbout the greater percentages of divorce between interrcial marriages; anywhere people are not the same, there are trials and adaptation in order to understand and live with the spouse. Different races derive different cultures so more effort may be necessary. This does not mean that it's unattainable. Every marriage needs to worked on and every marriage has disputes and differences. We learn by being acceptive of one another, which goes along with any relationship or marriage. We are here to learn from each other.
Ariel Barratt
I think race is thought of as being a much larger factor than it really is when it comes to marriage and dating. If you think about it, no two people will come from exactly the same upbringing, even if they are both of the same race. There are many other factors including social status, religious beliefs, culture, environment and global location that play a much bigger part in a person's life. I think it is good that the world is becoming more accepting of interracial couples because honestly no marriage is easy.
ReplyDeleteWhen I am older I hope that I will teach my children that all races are equal and I hope they will treat all people the same. I would also like to adopt children both from other countries and from America. I think this will help with any racial gaps and will allow for my family to be more diverse in their beliefs. I also hope that it will help my family to learn about and respect other cultures as equal to us.