Monday, February 6, 2012

Tolerance

After our class discussion on race the other day I was reminded of Elder Oaks' recent talk on tolerance. He said, "Living together with mutual respect for one another’s differences is a challenge in today’s world.  However—and here I express a second absolute truth—this living with differences is what the Gospel of Jesus Christ teaches us we must do." I think we, more than any other people, have a responsibility to be tolerant because we understand that we are children of God.

On that subject, I also discovered a movement to fight against social in-tolerance...

It began in Billings, Montana and encourages social acceptance of religion, race, or difference in general. This campaign calls for communities to ban together against hate crimes- no matter who they are against. The lyrics of the song "We are the World" truly have meaning. We as a race, the human race, are all alike. We share family values. People are intrinsically good. Believe that. Love them for what they are even if that means accepting that they think differently than you.

Stand up against any form of intolerance whether it be in school, in the store, or at church. Be willing to be someone's hero. Take the time to care enough to learn about them and why they are who they are.
Watch the videos that are posted on this website http://www.niot.org/videos and get inspired to act. As it is so beautifully said, silence is acceptance, so if you are against how someone is being treated-SPEAK UP.

 

I think this campaign is a major movement towards solving social issues. If we can speak up rather spiraling into silence with the majority, we will be serving others.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil only is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -Mother Tereasa


(Jessi Packard)

7 comments:

  1. This is great. Intolerance comes from lack of love, respect, and intelligence. I agree that we should all be more accepting of differences.
    -- Camille Holley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an important subject. Time and time again this becomes a problem in the United States. Despite how far we have come. I enjoyed the line "If You judge people, you have no time to love them" this statement seems to hit it over the head. Often we get to caught up in judging people and we forget to love one another for who we are. We are all different and we most learn to love each others differences.

    Natalie Boswell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is so true. Often times we expect others to be nonjudgmental, and to respect us, yet we fail to do the same for them. We judge people quickly and forget that everyone has a story, and reasons behind why they are the way we are. We need to strive to treat others, not as we want to be treated, but as we know they want to be treated.

    Courtney Heyrend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Often times people of the LDS religion can be, or even just appear, as more judgmental then those who aren't of that faith. As members, we were given a greater knowledge which in turn gives us a greater responsibility. We know that everyone is equal and a child of God and so we must focus extra hard on showing that. People can get so caught up on the little issues and imperfections of others, but instead, we must focus on not judging and just accepting.

    Kelby Gummersall

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me there is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. It is important to be tolerant of other people's beliefs and what they feel is right. Tolerance is acknowledging that they are there and then moving on to the next thing. In my opinion, I think that we need to accept everyone despite what they believe or what they might look like. Accept them as the person that they are, they are a human being, a son or daughter of our Heavenly Father.

    Daniele Vaughan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Hawaii where race has never felt like an issue. It's such a mixing pot of diversity, you never know who you may meet and what ethnic background they may be of. I think this upbringing has made me extremely tolerant of the various races of people today. However, in agreement with the comment above, whenever I hear "tolerate," I think in negative context; it seems like such a harsh word. It's almost as if you tolerate people as an obligation, not as a personal choice. We should accept everyone, and tolerate those people who feel they need to tolerate others, if that makes sense. God created a variety of people, and all those people, are his children who should love and care for one another.

    On a final note, I love that recording of "We Are The World." I admire the appeal to race, gender, orientation, age, etc. It's always inspiring when people of all sorts of backgrounds can come together and create a real sense of unity and harmony.

    ~ Michelle Grant

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was born in Charleston, SC and was the only white kid in my kindergarten class (and I'm only half white). As I grew up, I feel like this experience really helped me to have a clearer perspective than most. I've also always been in the minority, whether it be race, ethnicity, or religion. I'm lucky to say that in my life, I've experienced acceptance rather than prejudice for the most part. Whenever I did see people being treated differently just because they didn't fit in with the norm, I was right there backing them up. I was blessed to be surrounded by different races, cultures, religions, etc all of my life. I learned to appreciate people for their differences and to even celebrate them. I love the song "We Are The World". I feel like it really captures the love and acceptance that we should have for EVERYONE around us.

    Robin Lyles

    ReplyDelete