Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Discrimination at BYU

Denying equal treatment to people that belong to different social groups is consider as discrimination. Our societies are divided in social groups. Sometimes this social groups do not accept each other; which causes people to do inappropriate behavior. It is easy to notice discriminatory behavior when it is directed to us. However, it is really hard to detect discriminatory behavior that we commit or that our social groups commit. I think BYU commits Structural discrimination. I think BYU commits discrimination. This little essay will provide the reasoning of this idea.
There are three types of social discrimination: Individual discrimination, Institutional discrimination, and structural discrimination. Individual discrimination refers to an individual of a social group that treats differently or harmfully to another individual of another group. Moreover, Institutional discrimination can be defined as the rules created by the dominant group that might affect the subordinate group. Finally, structural discrimination is very similar to individual discrimination. The difference is that structural discrimination has impartial stand on race, gender, class and sexuality.
BYU as many different rules for students. Most of the rules belong to the honor code. Rules give an important balance in every type of society. Also, it is understood that without rules everything would be a chaos. However, some rules do not have a real purpose at BYU. For example, removing facial hair is a rule that is in the honor code. If students let their beard grow, it has been told that they cannot access some places at the University. Places like, the testing center, cannon center, etc. Two semester ago I asked my religion professor the reason of shaving. He said that being shaved is a way to look clean and nice. That is a very naïve perspective of what is clean and nice. It is true that in many places being shaved causes a nice impression. However, it is only a opinion among many, not everyone shares the same opinion. Obligating students to shave is going too far. I have seen people say that if I do not like the rules I should go. I value a lot more my education, that is why I shave and come to school. Nevertheless, I do not like the rule and I believe it is discriminatory against me and people who do not share the same values. With rules like this I feel the schools wants me to acquire the values and ideals that the school has. I believe that it is wrong because my values are not being respected.
Finally, I think the school should give the liberty to people to so whatever they want to do with their faces. Mostly if they are not Mormons like me. Respecting other people’s culture, values and ideas is very important to coexist. I do not like this rule because it does not have a real fundament. That is why BYU should allow students to decide whether they want a beard or not.

5 comments:

  1. I am not against there being an honor code, especially at a private institution. That being said, I feel that the more egregious error is that the honor code is not enforced. What is the point of having an honor code if it is not enforced? As to your point about what is clean and nice, and what is not, perhaps there should be more of an emphasis in the honor code on proper grooming--and one could have a clean and nice beard.
    Also, you would be interested to know, that the honor code was originally instituted by students. If it was originally instituted by students, perhaps students should be able to do away with it? Just a thought...
    Out of curiosity, what prompted you to come to BYU?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wrote an entire term paper about the honor code and the facial hair clause. The history of the h.c. itself is fascinating, and Derek is right - it was originally started by students. But back then it was created with the intention of minimizing academic dishonesty. Over time, the h.c. was taken over by the administration, which is where the dress and grooming standards were included. Now, it is overseen by the Board of Trustees. Interesting side note, in the early days of BYU, it was actually NOT socially acceptable to be clean shaven. Having facial hair was the norm, and a beardless face was associated with undesirable qualities. During Wilkinson's reign as University President, he tried to change this because facial hair was then associated with hippies (and there's a great quote of him saying he didn't want any beatniks on his campus). It wasn't until a few years after he was released from his Presidential duty though, that the grooming standards were made a mandatory part of the h.c. So I guess to sum it up, things like this go back and forth, and I find it interesting that something so trivial as facial hair can be associated with such negative (or positive) social judgments. I'm with you, Edgar, the grooming standards should go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, as many males on campus would, agree that the facial hair rule is a little ridiculous. I have been turned away from the GYM at 6:00 AM because I did not shave that morning. Who shaves before they work out?
    However, I do not consider the policy discrimination We signed a paper stating our willingness to abide by the rules. You can't agree to something then call it discrimination because you don't like it. Discrimination to me is something that happens without your consent. BYU has the consent of everyone on campus to tell them to shave. While it is a stupid rule that needs to go, it should not be considered discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the idea that discrimination is without your consent. You signed a paper stating to be honest and live by the rules. It's a private instituion! Your basically paying less tution just to be honest, well-groomed, and modest. I don't know why we would be complaining about that. And if we signed the paper just to disobey it and complain and not shave when we are suppose to, isn't that dishonesty and bad intent on our parts? To me, the facial hair rule is in place because it truly does look nice and clean. It shows that a person is well groomed and actually woke up that morning and took some time to take care of themselves. Just like women are expected to shave their legs and armpits as a sign that they are taking care of themselves hygienically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before arriving at BYU we all were informed of the honor code and what is represented. Living by these rules are not hard to follow is doing it prior to coming here. we all willingly signed the honor code knowing what is was and what we had to do to obey it. I agree its hard to tell on a roommate, family member, friend etc but I feel that you should help your friend first and confront them about the problem they are struggling with. try and lead them the right way and if that doesnt work then I feel it is up to you what you do. people do it anyway so there really isnt any changing it I feel. so just live the honor code and there wont be problems people.

    ReplyDelete