Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Miss USA says 'American' is her preferred label

"Religion does not identify me," Miss USA Rima Fakih tells CNN.

Rima Fakih's beauty pageant sash declares that she is Miss USA, but journalists want to find other labels for her.

Questions about Fakih's ethnic and religious identity have been nearly as frequent as questions about photos of her dancing against a stripper's pole.

"I'd like to say I'm American first, and I am an Arab-American," Fakih said. "I am Lebanese-American, and I am Muslim-American."

Fakih, 24, was born in Lebanon, but her family moved to New York when she was 7 years old. She later moved to Michigan, where she went to college.

The rarity of a woman born in the Middle East representing the United States in the Miss Universe pageant spurred internet buzz. One rumor was that Fakih had family connections to Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shiite group that the U.S. designates as a terrorist organization.

"Absolutely not," Fakih told CNN's Octavia Nasr. "That is a stereotype and a prejudiced statement made by only one reporter who had made that title before I was crowned Miss USA."

The blogger's accusation "was completely made up out of her own prejudiced mind," she said.

Contrary to some reports, she said, her family did not live in Southern Lebanon, the hub of Hezbollah.

"We lived in the mountain area of Lebanon, which is predominantly Christian-based," she said. "The majority of my family is diverse. It's Muslim and Christian."

Fakih said religion should not be a question for Miss USA winners.

"Religion does not identify me, I would like to say that," she said. "My family is more of a spiritual family rather than religious. We've never been religious, we've been never known to be religious, and on top of everything, we celebrate Christmas."

Fakih attended a Catholic high school in New York, she said.

"We are Muslim," she said. "However, we appreciate and admire all faiths."

The reaction to Fakih's selection was cause for celebration for many in Lebanon, a country she visited just a few months ago.

"I want them to know that the United States is not what they see on TV," she said. "It is still a country of freedom and opportunity."

Fakih said she has been invited to visit Lebanon and meet with leaders there, including President Michel Suleiman.


So I wanted to post this for two reasons. First, the town meeting today was

"Is the emphasis on a color-blind society an answer to racism?"

I thought this tied in with the question of today, and my question to all of you is if you think this is a move toward a color blind society. I feel safe in saying that we live in a society that has an over-heightened fear of anyone of Middle-Eastern origin. This is thanks in part to 9/11 of course. Yet here we have a Muslim as the face of the most beautiful woman in all of America. Doesn't this signify a change in the right direction, or is it, as some have claimed, a show- a false move towards assimilation of all beliefs? Clearly some still are overly sensitive, what with the claims in the article that she is tied to Hezbollah. And of course, there is the whole controversy over the loaded question regarding the Arizona state law. What sayest thou?

5 comments:

  1. I think that this does represent a shift towards a color-blind society. Crowning someone of a Middle-Eastern origin as the face of Miss USA, the most beautiful woman in America, proves that this country is making progress in regards to racial issues. However, it does not mean that all racial issues are fixed. Although smaller on scale, it is similar to having a black president--just because someone of the minority is now in a position of power, typically filled by only whites, does not mean that it is safe to assume the rest of the minority no longer experiences racism. The fact that a reporter suggested her family lived in a terrorist town of Lebanon without valid reason other than her racial identity proves that stereotypes and prejudices still exist, attitudes that almost always lead to racist actions.
    Skye Hiatt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are moving into a color-blind society, but the racism still exist. We accept change, but we like to make fun of it and point out all the wrong when someone of a different race takes over something that is predominately white.I think we are taking baby steps into the right direction, now we just have to stop creating racism.The miss USA is a sign that we no longer base beauty on one skin tone. We see beauty in every culture, so we are moving towards a color-blind society, but we aren't moving too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She says "I'd like to say I'm American first, and I am an Arab-American, I am Lebanese-American, and I am Muslim-American." If she'd like to say she was an American first, shouldn't she say "I am an American-Arab, American-Lebanese and American-Muslim" instead?
    I think she looks pretty good. Definitly a hottie. I wouldn't think she was a terrorist. Terrorists are ugly people with beards.
    I think it's pretty cool that someone from another country can become Miss America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too agree that we are moving toward a color-blind society but that there is still racism going on around. The reporters statement was uncalled for but it still happens everyday and is not a huge shocker. I do think U.S. is becoming less racist but it is still huge. I am happy that she was able to win. This does prove that she won not because of her skin tone but because of true beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the true beauty of an American in today's society is that we are overcoming racism in such a way that anyone, regardless of ethnicity, can become a symbol of our nation. Racial issues will always exist, as there will always be people rebelling and fighting against any sort of issue. I do not, however, believe that pressuring "color-blindness" in a society is going to do a whole lot of good, I think that we should just continue to have good examples like this young woman, it is better to learn by example.

    ReplyDelete