1,000 protest planned Islamic center, mosque near Ground Zero
Monday, June 7th 2010, 7:22 AM
More than 1,000 people turned out Sunday to protest an Islamic community center and mosque planned near Ground Zero.
Waving U.S. flags and signs that said, "No 9/11 Mega Mosque," the crowd condemned the proposal to put the Islamic center near the site where nearly 3,000 people died when Islamic terrorists flew planes into the World Trade Center.
The proposed 13-story Cordoba House will be opened in a former Burlington Coat Factory on Park Place - two blocks from Ground Zero. It would include classrooms, a fitness center and a mosque.
The project's boosters say it would be similar to the 92nd St. Y and point out that it has the backing of the local community board and many politicians in lower Manhattan.
But the proposed mosque has also drawn criticism, including a blast from a Tea Party bigwig who said it would serve as a tribute to the 9/11 terrorists "for the worship of the terrorists' monkey-god."
I just read the article and I'm very annoyed. It is so disappointing that so many Americans choose to ignore the difference between moderate and extremist Islam. It is incredibly ignorant to say that this mosque is a symbol of Islamic supremacy. That's ridiculous. Christians and Muslim moderates should be working together against terrorism. We refuse to give moderate Muslims a voice in the U.S., and when they make an effort to promote healing and amplify their voices, people get all crazy outraged? Come on, America! Is this a land of tolerance or not? These protestors are claiming that the mosque is a symbol of the very ideologies that led the terrorists to murder and destroy? Of course it isn't! The extremists distorted the beautiful, peaceful beliefs of a lovely faith, and this mosque is a symbol of Islam at it's best near the site of Islam at its worst. In fact, I love the idea of building a mosque near ground zero.
ReplyDeleteI had the amazing opportunity to live among many Muslims last semester. It's amazing to see how much my mind was opened by visiting those people. Before, I believed a lot of what I heard and saw on the news. Now I realize that the Muslim people are amazing. I am very excited to be studying Arabic in the fall. In fact, it's my minor. I desperately want to prepare myself to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to bring greater gospel light to the Arab world. It is very obvious that they have been and are being prepared to receive it. Along the way, I might as well open a few minds here in the US.
Wow. I agree Jeremy. I think it is completely ignorant to protest the building of a mosque near ground zero. I hope these protesters can open their eyes to see how ridiculous it is to assume that this mosque would be a symbol of terrorism.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it is right that people would assume and associate evil with Muslim's based on a very radical group. However, I think we have to see where many of the protesters are coming from. I don't think it is right to say that the protesters are ignorant on the issue. My guess is many of their loved ones were murdered in the 9/11 incident. Ground zero is probably a very sacred place for many of these people. I served over 7 months of my mission in a community that is probably 90 percent Muslim. I have been around these people and know that they are great people. Our neighbors used to give us food all the time even though we were the Mormon missionaries! I have respect for them and their religion, but I don't think it's right to point the finger at these protesters and say they are ignorant or don't want unity or whatever it may be.
ReplyDeleteWhile studying abroad in London I learned much about Muslims and their similiarities to what mormon believe. I have nothing but great respect for their religion. I also know that the radicals that did murder thousands on 9/11 were not acting in accordance to Muslim beliefs. So, I can separate the radicals from the actual followers and values.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I am one of a handful of educated Americans who understand that. Before the population can be okay with a mosque so near to ground zero they need to be educated as I have and as the above commentators have, and that is kind of a lofty goal. In the mean time, we cannot fault these people for being mislead by the media and their perpetuation of the lack of religious education in general. I can understand why they are angry; they don't know any better. And frankly building a mosque so close when the masterminds know that the general public does not understand is tactless.
It is unfortunate that Americans feel so much anger towards Muslims as a group. Although the acts of 9/11 still send shivers down my spine, I cannot blame an entire group of people for a few extremists' actions. Our country is still trying to rebuild itself from that day, but attempting to put Muslims down will not make our nation stronger. As Americans we all have religious freedom and that should be no different for Muslims. Building a Mosque a few blocks away from ground zero may not appear to be the best idea in respect for those who perished in the terrorist attacks, but it is not the fault of all Muslims that such an act occurred. Holding the rest of that group responsible for a few men's actions is ignorant and unfair. I think our country needs to take a minute and reconsider picking this fight and maybe put our energy towards something that is more beneficial to us all.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting issue. We do need to crack down on the stereotypes we have and are creating. As we have learned, stereotypes are commonly accepted among society and represent an extreme of some group. We cannot give into stereotypes today, which is hard. I've grown up with stereotypes and can find myself falling into that trap with some comments. It is hard and I can't blame others because of the type of society we have grown up in, but we are advancing. We must continue forward trying to break down these stereotypes and love all people.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I find this debate extremely interesting. From one perspective I find the mosque placement completely disrespectful and obviously insensitive. How could these local Islamic leaders think this would be an appropriate site, no matter their intentions?
ReplyDeleteFrom the local Islamic leadership perspective though I can see how this would be a chance to extend the hand of friendship and understanding to those affected by Islamic radicals. This mosque could be a center of learning and serve to unite the Christian/Islamic faiths in mutual respect for one another.
Either way, this is only going to become more intriguing as time passes. Hopefully all parties involved will exercise empathy.