Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Women, know your limits?



My older sister showed me this video clip about how men think women should think. Although this clip portrays women several decades ago, do men really think that women should act a certain way or play dumb to intellectual conversations and only be there to be looked at? I think this could be argued both ways and they clip's purpose is to be humorous, but it does bring up interesting opinions.

7 comments:

  1. First of all, I found that hilarious! But I do think you have a good point. I think that a stereotype towards women is definitely still present in society today. Oftentimes women who are beautiful are not expected to be smart, and women who are considered less attractive are expected to be more intelligent. I was just told the other day that beauty and brains is a rare thing among women. However, I often see men in the same light, i confess. So perhaps this kind of stereotyping is based more on attractiveness than gender? Although I do think that it is still more heavily applied towards women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to seeing men in the same light. However, I think that women being stereotyped receives more attention because the history of oppressed women through the ages. When it comes down to stereotyping it can go either direction in any situation, but it is the history and the context that the majority look at it through that makes it mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that I think this comes from the oppression women have faced in the past. This still lives on in some forms of stereotyping today. I think it depends on the men/women and whether they like being challenged from the opposite gender or would rather have someone who consistently is mild or unattentive. I think the stereotype of women staying out of the work force or political ideas is waning in current day as more women enter the work force, attend college, and become more involved with the economy. However, some men still posess the stereotype that a womens role is to look pretty and do household chores and leave the real work for the men. I think it depends on the person, how they were raised, and their own opinions on the matter rather than ALL men/women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to me that until quite recently, this view of women was the norm. It's a very good thing that most people no longer believe that higher intelligence leads to premature aging, ugliness, and beard growth in women or else half of the students at BYU would be headed downhill fast. Although most people now will tend not to come out and blatantly state than women are meant to simply be a pretty face, the biases are not completely extinguished. Many people question women as to why they would seek higher learning or a career. In my personal opinion, women and men are made to naturally fill their respective roles. However, I believe that these roles largely overlap. Men and women may not be exactly the same, but they are equal and complimentary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that there has existed bad stereotyping for women throughout the years. It has improved though, if we take a look at where we were in the 1950s and where we are now, the stereotyping has decreased dramatically. Women today have as much power as men and the same rights as well. Stereotyping still exists but not enough for women to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that there is another aspect to this discussion that should be considered: women who reinforce the stereotype. I know I'm not the only one who has seen this. There are plenty of beautiful women who use their appearance to take advantage of men or who are content to be pursue beauty at the expense of education and intellectual involvement (Just take a look at the High school cheerleader stereotype). I think that it isn't just men encouraging this behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious at first, but so sad. My guy friends still talk like this, as if they grew up in a home where their mothers didn't have rights to vote. I think it's crazy that some men still think like this. What makes women so incapable of being great? Women are amazing human beings who have two arms, two feet, and a brain just as large as any man. How do we fight this stereotype? No true idea on how to change every man in the world's thoughts that us women are the subordinate sex, but it's a work in progress. It sucks that do so such a thing it feels as though we have to prove ourselves in jobs and in important offices, but it puts a dent I guess...

    ReplyDelete