Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Discrimination Is Associated With Depression Among Minority Children

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100502080240.htm
or Google Title to find full article.

Discrimination Is Associated With Depression Among Minority Children

ScienceDaily (May 3, 2010) — Minority children often encounter racism in their daily lives, and those who experience discrimination more often have more symptoms of depression, according to a study presented May 2 at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) annual meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada..

...Results showed that 88 percent had at least one experience with racism, and nearly 12 percent had experienced racial discrimination in at least half of the situations described in the survey. The most common forms of discrimination were racial remarks, being called insulting names and being followed by security guards in stores. Experiences were similar for Latinos and African Americans, boys and girls, and younger and older children...

"Not only do most minority children experience discrimination, but they experience it in multiple contexts: in schools, in the community, with adults and with peers." Dr. Pachter said. "It's kind of like the elephant in the corner of the room. It's there, but nobody really talks about it. And it may have significant mental and physical health consequences in these children's lives."


My opinion: I found this article refreshing. We don't have to be aware of the disadvantages facing those in the racial minority for those disadvantages to be present and real. I would love to read over the study which produced these statistics, but I do not doubt the general accuracy of the conclusion achieved. I echo that, "It's kind of like the elephant in the corner of the room. It's there, but nobody really talks about it". We need to raise personal awareness and, if nothing else, begin to talk about racial differences rather than ignore them or expect them to dissolve without efforts on our parts to adopt or respect some of the cultural differences which are evident and often regarded as frightening by many of us and our peers. This is ignorant and we must strive to become more aware and accepting as a whole. I do not exclude myself. It is so easy for us to get caught up in ourselves and our own lives, and it can be so difficult to understand those who are different than us or to put ourselves in their shoes. I love Arthur Schopenhauer's statement that, "Everyone takes the limits of his own vision for the limits of the world". Lets try to decrease the validity of this quote and strive to imagine the world as somebody else experiences it.

Does anyone have something to add, or wish to disagree?!
If this interested you, also read..

http://psychcentral.com/news/2010/05/02/minority-children-feel-psycological-stress-of-racism/13416.html

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly feel that the Church is a great weapon in the face of racism and prejudice, but it definitely is a double edged sword. The Church is riddled with bigotry and hatred in the form of individual discrimination. However, if we focus on Christ-like love as our brothers and sisters through out the world come to enrich the church as a whole we can combat that discrimination as well. Last semester I took a class on the International Church that really opened my eyes to the various places that the Gospel is at work. The duty is ours to morph our own prejudices into cultural appreciation and to allow our children to see the beauty of all of God's children. Time and time again the brethren encourage us to learn languages, serve missions or support missionaries, to serve others, to gain an education and the list goes on and on. These urgings, I feel are urgings to become a truly international and multi-cultured people. I am sad that children feel discriminated against, just as I am sad that any person is discriminated against. Thanks Haley for sharing this info!

    ReplyDelete