
http://www.arcamax.com/speedbump/s-727330-542573
Very interesting statement, that for turtles, we can laugh that they are being silly by assuming he did that to himself. But in America, do we assume the same thing about the homeless around us?
This blog is designed for a class at Brigham Young University. Students use this blog to discuss elements of our multicultural society that we learn about in class. Due to the limit in the number of authors allowed, only students will be able to make posts on this blog. We welcome comments to the posts. Our hope is that this blog will foster dialogue about a number of difficult issues regarding diversity, which in turn will help us to better understand other people's diverse perspectives.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI will admit that sometimes I find myself assuming this same thing about the homeless around us. I think that there are a lot of stereotypes about homeless people. I had an experience one time that changed my view on homeless people. Last summer I went into a grocery store, and as I walked out there was a homeless man who stopped me trying to sell me a newspaper. Not only was he homeless, he was about 6'8" and black. Instead of listening to my instinct that said JUST KEEP WALKING, I stopped and talked to him. He explained to me that the homeless people in Seattle wrote the newspaper, and fellow homeless people sold them to make a little money. He also gave me a sheet of paper about his personal mission in life, which was to help other people. On it was a list of 50 things you could do to help another person. This conversation truly touched me, and I have never forgotten him. I still have the paper and list he gave me! I am so glad I was able to overcome the stereotypes long enough to talk to him. While I still catch myself assuming things about homeless people, talking to this man opened my eyes a little bit. I was able to see what he valued and how he was trying to make a difference. Since then, I have tried to be more careful in the things I think about homeless people, because you never really know what they are all about and what they are trying to accomplish in their life.
ReplyDeleteThis political cartoon is both sad and amusing. It is sad and amusing in that often times we think that homeless people are homeless because they WANT to be and don't want to work, etc.
ReplyDeleteI have mixed feelings about homelessness. Being Christian I feel like they should be helped. But I wonder what is the best way to help the homeless. I don't think just giving out freebies helps, because those run out.
There was a TV special several years ago that people that were studying homelessness and they decided to give a homeless man a million dollars, no questions asked and see what happened. Would he turn his life around now that he had a break? Or would he end up back where he started. I was hopeful and happy for this man and he was so grateful to have the money. The first thing he did was get an apartment and shower and shave. He then started to really spend the money--he bought a brand new truck, and then bought a friend a new truck. He just kept spending and spending through the money and he made many careless decisions with this money. Within just a little amount of time he was back to being homeless and living on the streets.
From this man's story I learned a few things. Its not that the homeless want to be homeless, it's just what they know how to do. It was this man's fault that he became homeless again because he made bad decisions. He wasn't good with money and did not know how to manage it. It is unfortunate that he was never taught, or chose not to follow what he was taught. I guess the way to fix homelessness is education, both a formal education and education about money management--just giving someone money, no matter how large the sum, will not work without the proper knowledge of what to do with that money.
In America, I think a majority of the time people view homeless people as homeless because of their lack of worth ethic and education. This stereotype is like all of the other stereotypes. Sometimes they are true and other times they are not.
ReplyDeleteThe solution to relocating homeless people is complex. I think that there are two parts to the equation. First, I think that homeless people need to put in the extra effort and seek out jobs and opportunities to find employment. Second, I believe the people of America must continue to help the homeless in their efforts. This does not include freely handing out money but teaching them how to work and survive on their own.
In conclusion, people cannot let stereotypes affect the way they act.
Many times in life I have bypassed a person who is begging for money. I have done this since I was little because my mom use to tell me storys of when she was on her mission in taiwann. She would watch beggers take a break and walk around the corner and get into really nice cars. This has always stuck with me. And still to this day when I see somebody begging for money that runs through my mind.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Christina's statement that, "It was this man's fault that he became homeless again because he made bad decisions. He wasn't good with money and did not know how to manage it. It is unfortunate that he was never taught, or chose not to follow what he was taught. I guess the way to fix homelessness is education, both a formal education and education about money management--just giving someone money, no matter how large the sum, will not work without the proper knowledge of what to do with that money."
ReplyDeleteI would like to echo that he didn't have the tools and education to manage the overwhelmingly large amount of money he was given. The way to fix homelessness is education, both a formal education and education about money management--just giving someone money, no matter how large the sum, will not work without the proper knowledge of what to do with that money.
So do we just blame them and neglect our responsibility to teach them? Do we really believe that money is all we can give? It is for sure the easiest thing to give. But time is a greater donation and as a nation time is what we need to give if we hope to truly make an impact.
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."
There are centers like St. Anne's Center in Ogden Utah which offer food and counsel to those in need. I think that we need to focus on making centers like this one and broadening the service we give to those in our country who struggle with homelessness.
Also, we need to be more compassionate and aware that, "when a homeless person is hospitalized, more than half of the time it is because of a mental disorder, according to a new report on the relationship between mental health and homelessness. The Canadian Institute for Health Information's report released Thursday, said in 2005-06 mental health and behaviour disorders were responsible for 52 per cent of hospital stays among homeless people, compared to only five per cent of the general population."
Compassion and Service are key.
So while i was talking the test for this class the other day a guy a few seats infront of me fell over and hit his head on the desk. Many thoughts ran through my head at that time. But the one that stuck out most was the story of the person who was on the ground at the hospital and died and it took an hour for people to help her. So i was in a first hand experience similar should i leave my test and help, get help, or just continue taking my test while his face started turning purple. Its easy to say what you will do when your not in the situation but when its happening infront of you its really hard to decided what to do. i was in shock and luck someone else got help and i believe hes okay. But i think i personally could have done better in that situation.
ReplyDeleteThis comic is a funny but true representation of how many people think of those "less fortunate" than them. Homeless people have the stereotype of being homeless because of bad decisions, drugs, drinking, or crime. While these reasons may occasionally be true, we all know we shouldn't assume that every time. And that's the problem too; like Tiffany said, we all know what we should think or do in those situations of seeing a person in need, but do we really do it? This applies not only to homeless people. Minorities in America have continually been lumped into a category of "they could get out of the slums if they wanted." But it's the lacking opportunities that cause these unfortunate living situations. People who can help should help.
ReplyDeleteI think this really is a real depiction. I catch myself thinking the same thing. The "homeless" have a complete stereotype, just like any group in America. Just like Heidi mentioned, the stereotype is they are homeless because of bad decisions like drugs, alcohol, gangs, of they are lazy. We can't assume these every time. We need to avoid the blanket type assumptions.
ReplyDeleteIn the past few months, someone I know actually became homeless, wandering the streets of SLC--yes because of the bad decisions that he has made. However, in talking to him, he said that you would be shocked that most of the people out on the streets begging for money, actually do use it for food and the things they need. Most of us just think they will blow it on drugs or alcohol. There are some who misuse it, but the majority really are just trying to survive. He said that there are a couple who just do that as a day job (it's tax free!) and then drive off at night in their Mercedes. That is why I think it is important to always have to spirit to guide you to make the best decision. It makes me think of the movie Get A Clue. The mayor? went undercover as a homeless person just to see what would happen. Only a few responded to his needs. I think generally as a whole we have been blessed living in America and we need to share what we can.
Melissa Bancroft