Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dora the Explorer: Illegal immigrant?

Dora the Explorer, the star of a popular children's show, is becoming a target during this controversy over Arizona's immigration law. In an article on MSNBC, a sociologist at the University of Cincinnati, Erynn Masi de Casanova says that although this above picture seems harmless it is really is a way for people to "project their thoughts and feelings about Latinos," Ironically, Dora is being used by both those who oppose and support the immigration law. She used to simply be a character in a children's show but she has now become a target in a political battle. The article mentions that although Nickelodeon refuses to comment on Dora's background the scenery in the show places Dora everywhere from a tropical land with pyramids, to a park with oak trees and a fox named Swiper. The article states "Many immigrant families, particularly Latinos, see Dora as a symbol of freedom, someone to relate to. She's a young girl with brown skin who lives in a borderless world and can travel anywhere she wants without consequence." Unfortunatley, the ambiguity of Dora's background makes her a target for supporters of Arizona's law. The interesting thing to me is the tactics people use to make a political point. Dora is not the only fictional character to become victim on political propaganda, remember Tinky Winky and Bert and Ernie, or how shocked we all were when J.K. Rowling annouced that Dumbledore is gay? I think this shows how important it is to be smart consumers of media and to not let it tell us how to think.

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37279132/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001#ixzz0oiOLT7YQ

4 comments:

  1. I think this is really interesting that Dora is being used throughout this debate. As well, I think it is interesting Nickelodeon is not commenting on her history. I think it is interesting they are trying to take a moderate stand on the issue to try not to offend anyone. I also think it is interesting that politics are starting to stand behind children's shows to prove their point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this article I can't help but think how ridiculous it is that politics are taking a simple children cartoon and turning it into immigration problems. When children watch Dora I'm sure they don't question themselves if she's legal or illegal. Nickelodeon really isn't saying much either because they don't want to offend anyone if they do talk about Dora's background. But I think it's silly how politics are investigating a fictional character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so crazy how far we go into these kinds of things. I feel like we always need an answer and explanation for everything and we can never let something be. Why can't Dora just be a cartoon character that many children like to watch, why is it so controversial? I agree with the article how it said, "In the U.S. the way we understand race is about putting people in categories and we're uncomfortable with people we can't put into categories" and i just feel that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dora!! I agree with Maryann and think that it is ridiculous how politics are picking on Dora. Who even should have the question if she is illegal or not? And what about her cousin Diego? I think that it is great that they are teaching children at least a little bit of Spanish. It is a proven fact that children who learn two languages at a young age are smarter (do better in school) and pick up on things faster. I think the media has slanted this too far, and is shaping Americans minds in the wrong direction.
    Melissa Bancroft

    ReplyDelete