http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/us/30chick.html?_r=1
After hearing a bit about this story, I decided to look up an article about it and learn more.
Chick-fil-A, one of the most delicious fast food restaurants in the US, and one of the staples of my diet growing up, has found itself in the middle of a hot bed of controversy. This fast food chain, founded by a devout southern Baptist family, has been known to incorporate Christian ideals into its business decisions. This causes upset customers who are turned away on Sundays when the restaurants are closed for a day of rest. Personally, I've always admired Chick-fil-A. Not only for its delectable chicken sandwich- no pickles- and waffle fries, but also for the good values it advocates. How many businesses these days stay closed on Sunday?
But now, Chick-fil-A has offended gay rights activists across the country. One Pennsylvania restaurant decided to sponsor a February marriage seminar hosted by a very outspoken group against homosexuality. Now the entire chain is being associated with anti-gay beliefs. College kids and gay rights activists everywhere are calling for a boycott of the chicken chain.
Although Chick-fil-A does associate itself with a conservative religion and a focus on marriage, I wouldn't go as far as to say that this is an "anti-gay chain." Just like any business, Chick-fil-A is one that wants customers and thus treats any customers with respect to keep them coming back for more. Not to mention, this whole controversy erupted because Chick-fil-A was asked to cater an event. They were asked to cater because they have good food and they said yes because it's good business. I don't think it's necessary to make everything, including fast food, about politics. Chick-fil-A has good food and good service. To me, that should be reason enough to eat there. Take the politics out of fast food.
Monday, February 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree - just because Chick-fil-A caters an event does not means that they are anti-gay. Though the owners being Christian means that they probably have strong views about marriage rights, the food chain has nothing to do with their religious beliefs.
ReplyDeleteYes, Chick-fil-A is closed on Sunday because of the religious belief of the owners, but the fast food place itself is not promoting a religion. The fast food place is a means of income for the owners.
Shunning Chick-fil-A for catering an event that fights against gay marriage is like saying that you are no longer going to eat at Chinese restaurants because the owners worship Buddah, or saying that you will no longer eat at a certain Italian restaurant because the owners once served food to a customer that happened to be the head of the mafia.
Food places sell food to those who want it, and make money that way. I would be more concerned about Chick-fil-A being anti-gay if they refused to cater an event just because it was a gay rights event.
I think they are overanalyzing the situation. Just as truett cathy said, they will serve and value all people with honor dignity and respect. Chick fil a in my opinion has better service than some sit down restuarants around! They are constantly giving out free samples/coupons, people open the doors for you when you enter, the food is good, and they come around and pick up your trays or get refills. By serving any person, it cannot be defined as "anti gay." A gay convention could have hired them first and then the anti gays would have gotten riled up about it! It was just circumstance that the anti gay convention catered from them first. If chick fil a really is a christain community they would serve anyone, just as they say they will. I think the college students and gays are going way too far in the wrong direction. Instead of rebelling against Chick fil a, they should simply hire them to cater their events!
ReplyDeleteWhenever there are "stick situations" such as gay/anti gay people tend to get offended too easily. They look for reasons to pin point people or companies because they are being too sensitive over the matter.
I think people are jumping to conclusions with this story. Just because Chick-fa-la is a Christian owned business people think that they are going to be against gays but its true that business is business and everyone wants more of it. What is funny about this is that there are other fast food chains at are christian owned as well such as Jack in the Box and In-n-Out. If you want to say that chick-fa-la is anti gay because they are christian owned then you should say any business that is christian owned is anti gay, from fast food to personal businesses. If it had been a Subway that catered the event there would be no story about this but Gays try and find ways to show they are being treated differently when really they are just looking for someone to get mad at.
ReplyDeleteWhat I find unfortunate about this situation is that an entire corporation is being punished for a choice that one branch made. While these owners are Christian I do not see how their corporation deserves the open discrimination threats that they are receiving. Just because one branch chooses to do their job and cater an event does not mean that the companies supports the ideologies set forth during the event.
ReplyDeleteAlso, the fact that they close their doors on Sunday is not discrimination. They as a business are merely choosing when to open their doors. They are not targeting which race or person cannot enter- they are making a blanket policy over their hours. I find it noble that they are protecting the rights of their employees to attend church.
Christine Guymon, sect. 2
Thi might be the dumbest thing I have ever read. I don't get why every little thing everyonr does is scrutinized. I think chic filet was just trying to make money buy selling their product to a buyer. I'm sure they have sold millions of chicken sandwiches to both pro and anti-gay activists. The only reason this is even being brought up is because the president of the company is Christian! Or maybe this is just an elaborate plan by the chickens to make us eat more cow...
ReplyDelete