Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This blog is designed for a class at Brigham Young University. Students use this blog to discuss elements of our multicultural society that we learn about in class. Due to the limit in the number of authors allowed, only students will be able to make posts on this blog. We welcome comments to the posts. Our hope is that this blog will foster dialogue about a number of difficult issues regarding diversity, which in turn will help us to better understand other people's diverse perspectives.
The doctors of that day and age obviously knew what they were talking about so they decided to present this video in that context, that homosexuality is a disease of the mind.
ReplyDeleteThe culture of America at this time was that a man and a women were supposed to be married. Infidelity was a shock to people at this time and inappropriate. Taking it a few steps further, homosexual marriages seemed quite wrong. If 6% of people are homosexual, what do you think they thought as they watched this video? I am sure they felt like they had a disease. After all, if the doctors are saying it, then it must be true. I am sure they felt trapped and isolated.
I wonder what the churches standpoint was at this time in history. I imagine they felt that it was a disease as well and the subject was very taboo. Interesting to see how far we have come as we receive more knowledge on the subject.