Sunday, December 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This blog is designed for a class at Brigham Young University. Students use this blog to discuss elements of our multicultural society that we learn about in class. Due to the limit in the number of authors allowed, only students will be able to make posts on this blog. We welcome comments to the posts. Our hope is that this blog will foster dialogue about a number of difficult issues regarding diversity, which in turn will help us to better understand other people's diverse perspectives.
Wow! I can't believe this happened either! At least that pastor has resigned and they're going to re-vote on the matter. I hope the original vote is overturned and I think it'd be awesome if they got married in that church after it's overturned just to stick it to everyone who voted against their marriage. The LDS church may have its issues with race but at least we're not as backward as this congregation.
ReplyDeleteThat's crazy! I'm gratefu for a church organized in a way that decision are made by inspired men of God and not a vote of church memebers.
ReplyDeleteI thought this issue of interracial couples were outdated. That many people were past the issue by now and were more accepting of it, but apparently not. I am slightly bias to the topic but not enough to break apart a couple or kick them out of my church.
-Amber Ah Sue
I don't know that I will ever really understand moments like this. Essentially, the people in the Church, at least 9 of them actively, are telling this couple that they are not welcome to come and worship God with them, simply because one of them is black and one is white.
ReplyDeleteIt is also disturbing that of all the people who could have voted, only 6 voted in favor of the couple. It makes me wonder about the many who stayed silent and allowed bigotry like this to occur. And it made me wonder if there have been times where I have been the silent one, if there have been times where I could have stuck up for what was right, but failed to do so.
This illustrates in a frightening way that our society still has racist tendencies. Although we sometimes assume that we are in a "colorblind" society, this demonstrates that this is not really the case all the time. We have made drastic steps in increasing racial equality, but even in a religious institution, where individuals claim that all are equal before God, racist practices are perpetuated.
ReplyDeleteAs was mentioned in the video clip, one of the most shocking parts is that individuals were not willing to take a stand on this issue. This is not a time when individuals are scared of losing their life if they speak out against racial inequality. Often times, as was the case here, individuals who fail to act (even when they disagree with the outcome) help perpetuate these problems. It's, therefore, the responsibility of everyone to understand and participate in community and government issues.
-Ashley Seelos
This is a sad story, and one that I hope never occurs again. This issue emphasizes the idea that racism is still strong in America although we may declare otherwise. And another strong issue this presents is the bystander effect. In this case, only 15 people out of 43 voted on whether or not interracial marriage was allowed in this church, which goes to show that many people will stand aside and let others take the responsibility when most of the time, even those people will not take the responsibility. One thing that I did not really understand was the fact that although the new pastor was against the first vote, there will still be another vote on the issue. Why does there need to be another vote if the pastor obviously doesn't like the idea of banning interracial marriage? Maybe it's a policy in that church, I'm not sure, but that just seemed strange to me that even the pastor cannot put his foot down where he has authority to.
ReplyDelete-Samantha Pehrson
Even though this is a story that I beleive only happens rarely, it is so sad that it ever happens at all. We live in a country where we expect people to do the right thing and give them the opportunity to do so with their inherint freedom. But the undeniable reality is that these stories STILL go on today. We have made strides as a country on acceptances on many levels but it isn't enough. If congregations of people still feel things like this is appropriate than we still have strides to go as a collective society.
ReplyDeleteI was really shocked to see this. It is interesting, to see that different social institutions, such as this church, have developed separately and are still carrying on racist mentalities. I think that it it crazy that her parents still want to pay their respects to the pastor and maintain peaceful ties with their church. Such a discrimination shows a lack of understanding towards common concepts that religions embrace such as love, charity and acceptance. I also think that in cases such as this, when the leadership of the institution is leading his people away with his racism, that it is the congregations responsibility to make amends and corrections. Hopefully the revote will be fair and those that did not stand up for what is right will do so then.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't believe it when I saw this. First of all, I had grown up thinking that all this racial prejudice was almost completely gone, and the small amount that was left was underground. However, it shocked me that someone would be so open and forward with his racial views, as far as to ban these people from his congregation. I also think that this is a good example of why people need to stand up for their views. Otherwise,the minority may wrongfully represent the majority.
ReplyDeleteI love the 9-6 vote on banning interracial marriages. 15 voters to represent the beliefs of the other 28 members is classic.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if any of you have seen the movie "guess who's coming to dinner," but it's a really good movie about interracial marriage. I wish I could believe that the struggles were soon to be over for this couple but I can't. They will likely face persecution and judgement for the rest of their marriage. I just hope that as time goes by, more people will become tolerant of such things. Because like it or not, they are going to happen.I also hope that this couple can weather the storms that come their way, and stay together for a long time, because it will show that not only is it acceptable for people of different racial backgrounds to marry, but also that that marriage can be successful.
ReplyDeleteIt's always disheartening to read stories such as this one. It is naive to believe that there is no racism in America today, but it's shocking to know that it's on this extreme of a level, in a CHURCH no less. It is absolutely ridiculous for a person to be banned from practicing their religion because of who they choose to be in a relationship with.
ReplyDeleteRacism in America truly effects everything. I believe that this particular church should focus more on their doctrine and what they are focused on accomplishing instead of making rules that embarrass or hurt peoples feelings. I would never want to be apart of a church that discriminates against the person you want to marry.
ReplyDeleteI also find it so surprising that this is still happening. I believed that this kind of prejudice had . What kind of church is this if they are not willing to accept God's children. In God's eyes we are all seen as equals. My parents are a interracial couple and I have not really seen prejudices against them as a couple so it is very surprising to me that these people would have such drastic actions taken against them just because they are having an interracial marriage. -Darla Miles
ReplyDeleteThis was shocking because you always know that there are people like this but they are not as outspoken as this pastor. I think that a good amount of people, even in the LDS church, feel that interracial marriage is not ideal. Thankfully not everyone thinks this way, otherwise I would not be born.
ReplyDeleteBeing a product of an interracial marriage, I guess I feel more sensitive towards this topic than others would. I think that as long as the two people can respect and understand each other's backgrounds and cultures, their relationship and marriage will be successful, period.
I know that most people support interracial marriage, but how many times do we see an interracial couple and think they look weird or strange? How many times do we base failures of couples on "too many differences", whether it be on culture, race, background, age, or beliefs? I think it is interesting that many cultures can have a successful marriage, even if it is arranged, yet some of us Americans cannot accept people of different races to marry.
I am deeply disturbed that people would feel this way and vocalize it. The fact that the man was a pastor-a public figure- makes the situation worse. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to act upon it in a way that is not in accordance with your represented party or affiliation as a whole is wrong. It is wrong in the first place to think such things, but to publicly vocalize them is even worse. How sad that people in America of all places still feel this way.
-Janalee Selfaison
What I thought was interesting is how it was a majority rules vote. They did not go for a unanimous vote. I am glad that our Church goes for a unanimous vote so they can talk out the issues and pray about it until everyone gets the answer from God.
ReplyDeleteI don't understand how a religious group that fosters animosity and disunity among fellow human beings can refer to itself as a "church." Another striking example of hypocrisy in a religious organization is the Westboro Baptist Church, that peddles hate and violence about homosexuals. I may be wrong, but I don't remember Christ mentioning that hatred was the solution to any problem.
ReplyDelete- JT RYKER
I could not help but think this video could help me better understand how people who want same sex marriage feel in our society. Imagine us Latter-Day Saints being banned from having marriages in our temple? I think the reaction is similar in both circumstances. This story of interracial relationships being banned from singing in the choir at their own church brings up the same question as my two previous statements. Is what we as a society are choosing to accept and not accept as morally or socially correct; in fact right?
Delete-Rebecca Strobel