Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Speaks on LGBT Rights

In a speech given at the United Nations' human rights agency headquaters in Geneva, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called for all nations to recognize LGBT rights.

"Being LGBT does not make you less human," Clinton said. "That is why gay rights are human rights and human rights are gay rights."

Although her speech focused mostly on countries where LGBT people face widespread violence or legal prosecution for being gay or transgendered, Clinton's remarks are relevant to the struggles faced by LGBT Americans as well. Using changes in LGBT rights in the United States as an example, she claims that progress in the fight for human rights often comes from changes in laws: "In many places, including my own country, legal protections have preceded, not followed, broader recognition of rights. Laws have a teaching effect. Laws that discriminate validate other kinds of discrimination. Laws that require equal protections reinforce the moral imperative of equality. And practically speaking, it is often the case that laws must change before fears about change dissipate."

I think it is important for the Unites States to take a strong position against LGBT-related discrimination and violence, so I was quite impressed with Secretary Clinton's speech. I also like how she calls for respectful conversation and discussion about LGBT rights, which needs to replace the often hateful and divisive statements we hear from politicians and pundits here in the U.S. What do you guys think?

P.S. If you don't want to watch the 30-minute video, you can take a look at the transcript of the speech HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I especially liked the emphasis on gay rights as human rights; I think that's something that people, sometimes especially in Mormon culture, struggle to acknowledge as valid.
    I liked that you pointed out the need for respectful conversation and discussion about LGBT rights. The issue has become so passionately heated (no pun intended)that it becomes difficult to create a helpful dialogue between opposing parties.
    Even if you do not agree with the politics of LGBT rights, it is an important issue that requires understanding. I think most people could do more in order to assure a safer, happier world for those who are victimized for the LGBT identities.

    In conclusion, Hillary Clinton is awesome. The end.

    -Riley Payne

    ReplyDelete