Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Salt Lake area resident to walk across America for the DREAM

On November 30, 2011, Raymi Gutierrez spoke at the Salt Lake Community College Taylorsville Redwood Campus about her intention to walk across the United States in support of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act.
On March 10, 2012, five individuals, including Gutierrez, will set out from San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge to raise awareness of and support for the DREAM Act as part of the Campaign for an American DREAM.  Those who would qualify under the DREAM act are called DREAMers; those who stand with the DREAMers are Allies.
“I want to keep hope alive in DREAMers and their families,” says Gutierrez, an ally.
Gutierrez says that she has always lived in fear of the authorities but never really understood why.  Her parents were undocumented and have been threatened with deportation.  Gutierrez was born in the United States
Continue reading on Examiner.com Salt Lake area resident to walk across America for the DREAM - Salt Lake City Community Activism | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/community-activism-in-salt-lake-city/salt-lake-area-resident-to-walk-across-america-for-the-dream#ixzz1fsw0lkTE

I really hope this demonstration brings a lot of attention to the DREAM Act so it can be passed.  The DREAM Act is a bill that would grant citizenship to undocumented minors who were brought to the U.S. by their parents.  It seems unfair for these youth to be punished for the decisions of their parents, which is why we should grant them conditional citizenship and allow them to be contributing members of our society.  To be eligible for citizenship, these undocumented youth must have entered the U.S. before the age of sixteen, graduated from a U.S. high school, be of good moral character, among other qualifications.  This bill would be very beneficial for the children of undocumented immigrants as well as the nation as a whole.  


Mallory Fox Section 2

3 comments:

  1. This walk across the country to be a support to pass the dream act is very daring and I applaud for the effort made. The only thing is that I personally don't think that by five students walking across America can do much. Now if a bigger group was gathered and was able to show support I think the government would have more consideration. Illegal immigration is such a hard topic for me and i don't really am against it. I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to be given good education and to be treated as humans, equally. I came to the United States legally but even then my parents struggled s lot to get to where they are today. I am grateful for what I have been given and I hope to can be given to others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope the DREAM act can get some more support across the country. Kids who are brought here illegally by their parents should be given the opportunity to get an education and become citizens of the country, and this act gives hope to so many children. They didn't ask to come here, but for many, this is the only home they have ever known, and they deserve an opportunity to live here with the peace that citizenship brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the least, they'll get a good story to tell their grandkids. And an interesting form of exercise.

    ReplyDelete