Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Two Lesbians Raised A Baby And This Is What They Got


I personally do not believe in gay or lesbian relations at all, but I have to admit, I found this a little bit interesting.

"Zach Wahls, a 19-year-old University of Iowa student spoke about the strength of his family during a public forum on House Joint Resolution 6 in the Iowa House of Representatives. Wahls has two mothers, and came to oppose House Joint Resolution 6 which would end civil unions in Iowa."

I personally believe in the LDS "Proclamation to the World" which states that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. However, I have to admit, Zach here has a very good argument. I never believed that it was possible for gay or lesbians parents to have zero side effects on childen. I agree with Zach when he states that no one has independently found him to be different and suspect lesbian parents. I never would have known myself had he not mentioned it.

Is this the case majority of the time? Or is Zach and exception? Does the majority of children raised by gay or lesbian parents have other issues? It is something that I would like to see more research into. I don't know! I just know that I always thought there to be bad side effects but this shows otherwise.

Comment! Tell me what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Having a sister who is lesbian with two adopted children through foster case, I see Zach's side. My sister is one of the best parents I know. Her and her partner of twenty years have been wonderful parents to two children from abused homes. She provided a good, safe home for them with plenty of love. Later adopting them, they are growing up with many opportunities and lots of friends and most of all, normally. Yes, it is ideal to have a mother and father to raise children, but even having that, it does not mean that they will have a safe and loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that the gender of a parent really affects the kind of care that the give to their children. Children need all kinds of different role models in their lives, but I don't think that just because one parent is a girl and one parent is a boy they'll get all of the different modeling they need. It's possible for a female to have characteristics that are often considered masculine, and she'd be able to model the good things about these characteristics for her children. The opposite is true, a male could be really caring and considerate and model those kinds of behavior for his children as well. I can't see what being a boy or a girl has to do with how much you love and encourage your children. What's most important is that the couple can provide a healthy, happy environment for the kid to grow up in. I think that the only side effect that might come out of gay parents raising children would be that their kids might be more open to different manifestations of love and be more flexible with their gender identity. They'd be able to see that girls aren't the only people who can care for others and boys aren't the only ones who can provide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many other types of parents that should be legally sanctioned before those that are homosexual. Drug abusers are perhaps one group of parents that should be looked at more closely. From a civil rights standpoint, I see no reason to discriminate against homosexual individuals. I wouldn't want my rights limited in any way, so why are we attempting to limit theirs? However, from a religious standpoint, the discussion becomes much more divisive.

    - JT RYKER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this video completely fascinating. You see a smart, kind, successful young man who, like he stated, anyone would be proud to call their son. From the way he conducts himself, to the way he articulates himself, you can tell his parents did something right. Personally, I don’t agree with same-sex marriage and I support the teachings of the Proclamation that say marriage should be between a man and a woman. I think God intended life to function this way. On that note though, this video really made me think and reconsider a few things. We are taught to be Christ-like and to love one another. That’s our ultimate goal and that’s what God asks of us. These women who raised their son obviously taught him principles that I think are safe to be called Christ-like principles. When it comes down to it, if children are being loved, cared for, and nurtured, isn’t that a good thing? I feel that a home with a mother and father is probably the ideal situation, but there are thousands of children who are stuck in abusive homes with parents who are drug addicts or simply don’t take care of their children. As long as children are loved, taken care of, and safe, the sexual orientation maybe isn’t as important as we might think.

      Meagan Allred

      Delete