http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srnaXW9ZgZc
(I couldn't get the video to post so here is the link so you can watch it on youtube!)
I loved this video!! This little girl is among very few, children in particular, who understand these implemented gender roles in society. Gender roles are so ingrained in our society and in our media. These gender roles are implemented into our brains and way of life from a very young age. I feel that this is the case because of media and especially because of parents. I’m sure we all could share a story or two about the time our brother or cousin came out wearing a dress or chose something pink over something blue and every adult around started freaking out. I totally believe that boys and girls tend to gravitate towards different things because of their gender, but we tend to take things to extremes. I think this little girl got it just right when she said, “Sometimes girls like superheroes and sometimes boys like princesses”.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is so cute and true. It's important for us to recognize the difference between gender roles, and divine roles. We all are born with divine attributes, which are gender specific but these attributes don't always have to be manifested in the same ways. Just because girls are born with nurturing tendencies doesn't mean they have to, or always want to play with dolls, or even children. As we come to recognize the distiction between divine roles and gender roles, we will be able to better understand others, and give them the respect and tolerance than they deserve.
ReplyDeleteMary Nannette Wright
What i think is interesting is that at her young age she is able to recognize who toy businesses are geared and who they advertise to. This thought never crossed my mind when i was her age. She is able to address and figure out that some kids like different stuff. And if she wants something blue, that doesn't mean she is more boyish.
ReplyDeleteAlthough i do feel gender roles come into play in real life, and things do operate well most of the time under those conditions, i think its also important to remember that just because its the norm, doesn't mean its wrong to have a girl wanting to get hot wheels or vice versa.
Eliza Wilson
This little girl hit the nail on the head. Children should be able to decide for themselves which toys they want to play with. Modern day marketing with toys is just perpetuating the mold that girls and boys are expected to fill. Anything seen as "different" among children is almost always taken as strange because it isn't fulfilling the image society has for each gender. I feel that in today's society there are still many 1950's ideologies because just as during this time, there are certain groups each gender is supposed to fit into and I feel that they should be able to choose for themselves without society interfering.
ReplyDeletePreston Porter
I remember watching this video when it first came out on the CNN webpage. I, of course, thought it was hilarious an cute, and really didn't think of it as an acute sociological observation until I saw it re-posted here. I have several nieces who it seems like only own pink, purple, and white princess type clothing. I think they love it, but it's their moms who buy it for them.
ReplyDeleteThe little girl was right....companies do pander to gender roles, but this only works if the parent buys into the conspiracy. This is not to say that I won't buy any little girls I may have as daughters pink lacy dresses(my wife would anyways), but I will certainly make sure to buy them super heroes as well!