Friday, April 13, 2012

The Human Experience

I watched this documentary on Netflix recently, and if any of you have the opportunity-watch it. The "back of the box description" says, "In a world fraught with hostility and violence, an altruistic group of young men endeavor to understand the true essence of the human spirit by visiting forgotten souls such as homeless New Yorkers, Peruvian orphans and isolated Ghanian lepers. By spotlighting heartwarming stories from around the world, this uplifting documentary shows viewers that every single person, no matter his or her lot in life, is beautiful."

This film was honestly so inspiring. I feel as though taking this sociology class has really opened my eyes to different situations, even to different people, in America that I never paid much attention to before, like the homeless on the streets or the neglected lepers in Ghana that these young men in the documentary noticed more once they literally spent some time in their shoes. Everyone on this earth is united, "we are really the same." I love the quote by President Ucthdorf that says, "Everyone is walking his or her own difficult path." Now that we have really seen the difficult paths for our fellow brothers and sisters we have the responsibility to do something more-no matter their race, citizenship standing, sexual orientation, or anything else. We need to find the things that make us universal humans, no matter what our political or social beliefs are.


-Nikki Bradshaw

3 comments:

  1. I haven’t seen this documentary, but I still agree with its message. It is so important to take away the biases that block our vision from seeing people as God sees them. For when we truly take away judgment and look at people as nothing more than people, we begin to see how God loves everyone equally, and as we adopt this policy, we will begin to love others. Cruelty and judgment won’t have a place in our hearts, as we become like Christ and love people for just being people.

    I believe we can start this change by first starting with everyday simple misconceptions we form. Instead of cursing and getting angry at that person who just cut you off on the road, take a step back and try to see them as a three dimensional person, who has issues and concerns just like you do. Try to understand that those around you aren’t perfect, and instead of forming excuses for yourself, take responsibility for your own actions and recognize that others are managing hardships we can’t possibly know. Above all, see them as equals.

    If we do this, we can change our society from being selfish and greedy to caring and understanding. Policies and laws will change as we strip away labels and view everyone as human beings. Discrimination against race, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation and all other factors will fade and a new order of acceptance and love will take its place. We will become more united in our diversity, and become stronger in Christ. This is possible if we stop distinguishing ourselves on higher or lower levels, and recognize we are all children of God.

    Jenna Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the principles expressed in this post and comment. One of the purposes of education is to open our minds to new perspectives and to help us address problems and difficulties that we had never considered before. This class has helped me to do this. It has also helped me to open my heart to others who look, believe, or act differently than I do.
    I think as we start to observe the world and form our own opinions about "the way things are", it is easy to shut out any other viewpoint and assume that ours is the correct view. It is important to look at the assumptions we are making and realize that they are based in our own experiences, while a homeless person in New York or a Peruvian orphan would grow up seeing the world very differently. This applies to someone of a different political party or religion as well. Their views aren't necessarily right or wrong, only different. I do not say this to promote an attitude of moral relativity, but to allow us to enter into open dialogue with those of other backgrounds and beliefs so that we don't automatically disregard that which their experience has led them to believe. Until we get outside of our own heads and stop assuming that everything we think is right and that those who oppose us must be fundamentally flawed and incorrect, we will never foster an environment of love and mutual respect that our world so desperately needs.

    I am far from being an expert at this concept, but this class has helped open my mind and my heart to different ways of thinking and living. Part of the "human experience" is that we are all trying to understand Truth and live the best way we know how in this world. As we come to embrace this commonality among us and be open to exchange of one another's ideas, we can help each other find the ultimate Truth we all seek.

    Aubrie Forsyth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this class has been really eye opening for me as well. From the class with the homosexual guest speakers to the documentaries on illegal immigrants, I feel as if I have been able to gain sympathy for those that before I was so intolerant of. I think that it is important for all of us to remember that we are all God's children. All of us are going through this life full of trials and sorrows. We need to help each other out. Focus more on the similarities and dwell less on the differences. While issues such as immigration do need to be dwelt with, they can be done so with more emphasis on the good of the people rather than thinking of them as faceless objects. From the perspectives gained from this semester, I am setting a new goal for myself to do as President Uchtdorf said and stop it. I am going to stop judging others and focus instead on the positive.

    Shannon Wallace

    ReplyDelete