Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It Gets Better at BYU

12 comments:

  1. By watching this not only helped gained a broader perspective in this situation but at the same time understand that my fellow classmate go through perhaps bigger difficulties than me. But the thing that got my attention the most is that no matter what they are truth to their principles, they are truth to their testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. They showed us a side of their personality and that made me love them for who they are and for how God sees them. A lot of them told how they fought to have those feelings away. Clearly it showed how much they understand the doctrine of the Church and their willingness to keep it and be faithful. These people understand that God loves them no matter what (perhaps better than I do) and that they are willing to share their experiences to help those that are in need.

    yarelly Ovalle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearing these students speak willingly and truthfully is truly a sort of inspiration. Their testimonies have been so incredibly strengthened by this trial that they have lived with, and while others in life may lose all faith and hope, they found a way to continue to work through the hardship and still be strong members of the church. I agree that God never makes mistakes and he would never put a burden on a person that they would not be able to handle. All the speakers in the video are not only incredible for admitting their sexuality to themselves, but for admitting it to others, and making it known that they are there for all who are currently struggling with similar problems. I think in the church, it is true that people often hear one thing in regards to an issue and block everything else out. I think it is important for us to open not only our ears, but our hearts and our minds. We shouldn't make assumptions about what we don't know; we all fear the unknown and won't learn to better embrace it until we know more. God doesn't make mistakes and doesn't punish people; God loves us all and creates opportunities for us to be stronger, and more faithful, members of the church. I hope for the strength that these students to have to grow in their lives; their strength and testimonies are, and will always be, a great inspiration to me personally.

    Michelle M. Grant

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. So many of my friends have been posting this all over facebook and their blogs. Even if they don't go to BYU and aren't religious in any way. I think that this has helped to show how accepting we can be. BYU has gotten a bit of a bad rap for being somewhat closed minded. Of course some students are (as there are closed minded and ignorant people everywhere and at every university ) but I think that its great to get this message out there.

    Camille Holley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched many of these videos, where student from BYU have come out and said they are gay or bisexual. It takes great courage to do that. It give BYU a good name. It is so inspirational to see all these students go through these hard trials and come out an even better person. It is so good for people to see this message and see what amazing people they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This video was very interesting to watch. Hearing this video and the speakers we listened to earlier in the year gave me a completely different perspective on the topic than i did previously to taking this class. i hope that this video continues to be widely discussed. I think that making this video took a lot of courage but it was an amazing thing to do that inspired many people in our school, community, and elsewhere. this video makes me proud to attend BYU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first watched this I was surprised to see people that I knew in it. For me seeing them on this video so open about their personal struggle with this issue made me really respect them. Not many people openly feel comfortable admitting that they are Gay in a Mormon society, and I really commend them for doing so.

    I really liked this video, and I noticed that it really opened the eyes of Mormons and Non-Mormons alike. I noticed that some of my friends who were not Mormon actually really liked the video, and they showed respect for those people. I also noticed that there were a lot of people who had a negative reaction to this video. Overall I think that this video was very strong and empowering, and gave a message of hope and acceptance for being gay and being Mormon.

    Nalia Tafua

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think every student in this video is a great example of courage. They are not afraid to let others know who they are and how they feel about being at BYU. They seem to really have strong testimony of the gospel because they turned to the gospel to get help. Although it didn't work the way they thought it would, it just made them be greater examples. I saw this video going around on facebook and I think everyone here at BYU needs to take a look at because a lot of rude things are said on campus. No one shouldn't feel unwelcome at school. We should love God's children as He loves them. Isn't one of the most important commandments to love one another?

    Celia Rivera

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so impressed with the students in this video. They are so brave to discuss a subject that has in the past been seen as taboo. I really liked how they incorporated their own spiritual experiences, showing that it is okay to have these feelings as long as they are not acted on. It's so important to have acceptance for everyone; we are all children of God with struggles and trials that we've come to earth with. Hopefully this video will help other students who are struggling with these feelings and don't know how to reconcile them.

    -Kaile Knell

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have very strong opinions about the topic of homosexuality. I think that everyone needs to understand that we are all children of God regardless of ethnicity or sexual orientation. I think that everyone needs to remember the principle "hate the sin but love the sinner". It is still a sin to act on homosexual feelings but the person that has to deal with the homosexuality is a son or daughter of God and God loves them for the person they are. If people fully understood this principle they would approach this issue differently and have a better perspective.
    - Nicole Quaranta

    ReplyDelete
  10. I shared this video with those in my home ward and I think they appreciated it as much as I did when I first saw it. Every student in this video is a great example to us because they showed courage in sharing their opinions which I feel a lot of people at BYU don't do because they are afraid of the opposition. Its great to hear all these people share their opinions and see that they still really have strong testimony of the gospel because they turned to the gospel for whatever needs be. I hope people watch this video and really LISTEN to what is being said, because then maybe such rude things will be said when this topic comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coming to BYU, my views on homosexuality were very limited yet judgmental. I didn't think it was a real issue that people struggled with and I thought people should just "suck it up". But every time I listen to a presentation of real students who are gay, my opinion changes for the better. Now I feel like I am very accepting of them, and I'm so glad that I understand so much more about what they are truly going through. This video really strengthens my new-found resolve that homosexuality is indeed a real issue. I love how positive this video is and how it encourages everyone to love and respect fellow students--no matter what their sexual orientation is.

    Melanie Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- It surprised me how many people in the video I knew and recognized. I have heard a lot of people talking about this video and giving both positive and negative feedback. Now that I have watched it I kind of actually like it. This class this year has brought this subject in to a different light and helped me learn how to reach out to people who are struggling. This video was nice because it talked about supporting each other as children of Heavenly Father and loving people no matter what. I really like that message.

    ReplyDelete