Monday, September 21, 2009

Beating at Cracker Barrel May be Hate Crime

The FBI is investigating as a possible hate crime an incident in which a woman was beaten to the ground in front of her child at the entrance to a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Morrow, Georgia, south of Atlanta.


This is a very disturbing account of apparent racism and sexism. What provokes someone to do something like this, especially in the presence of a child? It makes me wonder how common these incidents are?

4 comments:

  1. On his facebook page Mr. Raymond Winbush commented on this. He said that Crackerbarrel "is the most accurately named restaurant in Amerikkka".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told my husband about this incident and he was horrified. He said, "Well that guy is obviously messed up and crazy." But the truth is there are a lot of crazy and messed up people out there I'm sure. I don't think it takes any provoking necessarily, just downright hate and thoughts that they deserve better and are better and will find any excuse to make their feelings known I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story sickens me. It is hard to believe that even in our world today people can be so hateful. This man was motivated by blind hatred, there is no other reason, and there is no excuse for what he did to that poor woman in front of her child. I found it interesting that in the interview the woman said something to the affect of, the man feeling perfectly comfortable attacking her in the Cracker Barrel. It sounds like she thinks that the restaurant is full of racist white folks, which based on this situation it might just be. I don't blame her if she never sets foot in a Cracker Barrel again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also appalled by this story. It's hard to believe that people in our country today still harbor that much hatred for other people solely based on skin color. She was even in the military reserve! She couldn't have done anything less to provoke an attack. If I was in her situation and someone almost hit my child with a door, of course I would say be careful, or watch out. Anyone would just as a natural reaction. And anyone responding to that I would hope would just have to say, oh! sorry. It is ridiculous that he would turn this into a hate crime. I wouldn't go so far as saying that Cracker Barrel is full of racists and that she shouldn't go there anymore, but it's sad that things like this happen in the first place. I hope as younger generations continue coming along that these sort of acts of hate will come to an end. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that is the case after all these years.

    ReplyDelete