
Ben & Jerry's ice cream is marking the legalization of same-sex marriage in Vermont by changing the name of its "Chubby Hubby" flavor to "Hubby Hubby" for the month of September.
I posted this article to my Facebook a few weeks ago along with a casual remark basically saying I don't buy it anyway, and that I was now going to keep it that way. Within 24 hours, I had over 50 responses from both sides of the argument. Although the conversation remained calm and collected, it was obvious that I had struck a chord.
Before I say anything else, let me say that I have several friends who have chosen this lifestyle, and although I don't agree with their decision, I respect their God-given ability to choose for themselves. Allow me to also say that, while I am opposed to same-sex marriage, I support civil-unions.
Proponents of same-sex marriage have called for marriage equality. However, marriage equality already exists, because marriage is clearly defined as between a man and a woman. For example, everyone has an equal opportunity to get a degree in English. However, one must choose to actually study English and fulfill all of the requirements. It would be quite silly for me to take all of the required Sociology classes, and then demand a degree in English. Likewise, all people have an opportunity to marry, but if they choose a different lifestyle, that doesn't mean we need to change the definition (which has been around for THOUSANDS of years) to include them.
I agree with Charlie's solution that the government should get out of the marriage business for good. Marriage is a religious ceremony instituted by God himself. Rather, the government should issue civil-unions to any two consenting adults, and if they so choose they can also have a religious marriage ceremony, much like the difference between a birth-certificate and a blessing or christening.
In closing:
Through modern day prophets, the Lord has said:
"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose...
The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ."
Hopefully Wednesday's presentation helped you see that having SSA isn't a chosen lifestyle or condition, but just a part of some people's lives.
ReplyDeleteBefore this class, I knew that the whole gay marriage debate was very complicated, because of preserving the sanctity of marriage and families, but at the same time you can't take away agency. I do want to say though that I support prop 8, and continue to even after Wednesday. This is mostly because as California resident, I got to hear every little part of the debate, and the part that makes me upset is that they took the word family and husband and wife out of elementary schools. I have elementary school aged brothers who almost had this happen to them. They had planned on getting all new textbooks with "politically correct" wording, and teachers would not be allowed to acknowledge the existence of nuclear families so they wouldn't offend those who may have same sex parents. Also, they would be forced to read books supporting gay marriage so kids would be in a way brainwashed into thinking that gay marriage is normal. Adults can do whatever they want, they have their agency. But schools already teach kids enough stuff that is not right or questionable, I don't want to add gay marriage to the list.
ReplyDeleteYou're very right Grant... SSA is not a chosen condition, but once someone decides upon that lifestyle, it IS a choice. I loved Wednesday's class. One of the parts that hit me really hard and stuck out to me was when he said that he wants to be an example of someone who is gay, and is also active in the church. It's possible, although I imagine its ridiculously hard. Thank goodness we're at a school where we can study this within the context of the Plan of Salvation.
ReplyDeleteI long for the day when same-sex attracted children can grow up, go to school, and not have to be told that they are "wrong" or "abnormal." Though I do believe we should be careful what terms we do and do not use, I believe a more inclusive language in all situations would eventually lead to reducing the negative stigma surrounding homosexualty, as with other minority groups.
ReplyDeleteAs for the gay marriage debate, I see three viable options:
1. Do as in Europe, with everyone having civil unions, and then performing (religious) marriages if they choose.
2. Cut the ties between the term/status of "marriage" and the federal and state benefits it now carries.
3. Give marriage to all couples, so that all may have the same rights and privileges.
Certainly, there may be other options, but something needs to be done. The issue will not go away, and same-sex couples will continue to estabilsh loving, long-term households that are currently denied benefits and privileges given to heterosexual couples.