Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Eye-opening Mixed-orientation Discussion




I don’t know about the rest of you but I thought today’s class was amazing. That couple’s experience is so unique at BYU and was very eye-opening. The point I want to make is how enlightening this class can be. I come from a more conservative background and I used to think it was “not right” that there was an underground gay community at BYU. Boy was I wrong. I have learned that same-sex attraction (SSA) is not a choice. The people living with SSA have a lot of challenges that most of us cannot even begin to imagine. So who are we to judge whether it is “right” or not? I guess this post is a call to action. I want to encourage everyone to actually learn something from other people’s points of view. Just like I am sure many of our minds were broadened in today’s class discussion, let us continue to open and broaden our minds by learning from each other. This is not just a call for the conservatives to learn form the liberals; the liberals could learn a thing or two from the conservatives as well!

8 comments:

  1. Today's guest lecture was absolutely fabulous. I really appreciate their openness and willingness to share their situation. I have so much sympathy for them, their families, and others who struggle with it. I was not surprised that many LDS people deal with same sex attraction and I've found it insensitive that it's greatly perceived to be a 'choice.'

    From this lecture, I hope I can be even more supportive of this situation, and others that I may be unfamiliar with. The first step is to learn more about what people go through and listen to their point of view before making quick judgments.

    They're both great people and it's awesome that they are still happy with the situation. What he said is so important, a person whom you love is the exact same person even if he or she is homosexual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that yesterday's class was awesome... for a number of different reasons. I can't imagine the courage it would take to talk about something that deeply personal in front of a group of strangers... however nice we may be. ;) Also, I agree that this was very eye-opening... especially to the experience that many could be going through. I'm saddened by the general culture of naive judging that goes on here in Provo... and I really think that we have an awesome opportunity to help open some people's eyes. After all, I think that'll help us become a lot more Christ-like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the Bissetts came to our class I felt like I wanted to share the experience with everyone I talked to. Today at work I was talking to a friend of mine and told her about it. She got a strange look on her face and said to me, "Being gay is a choice, it's a mindset". I didn't want to get in a full on argument at work but I did express my point of view, which is definitely not the same as hers. Some people could choose that lifestyle but I know that for many it is definitely not something they choose to deal with. It made me sad that so many people on campus are still naive about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guess lecture was amazing! I too have told a lot of different people about the Bissetts life and every time that I do they just don't understand how two people can live like that. And really thinking about it would be such a challenge but the love that that couple shared was indescribably. And I think that really is true love when a couple can go through something like that and still be together.And what I really learned from their lecture is that being "gay" isn't a choice and that we shouldn't judge those who are. We need to love and accept everyone for who they are no matter what type of person they are including race, background, sex, etc. Life is too short to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the Bissetts were lovely people. Our eyes were opened to yet another challenge that those around us face. I believe we need to be careful not to judge on either side. Every one is at a different place and has had or not had experiences that will bring understanding in different ways. We have had a glimpse into the lives of two people that have a very visible challenge as they have chosen to share it. I do hope that with how drawn we were to them we still understand that it is a struggle and they are staying the course. The course does not change just because we love the person. There are many wonderful people with various struggles but we do not have to confuse the Saviors message. He never said that to love someone means we need to embrace their struggle and see it as okay. Chris struggles with being gay because he understands that it directly contradicts foundational doctrine. Good for he and Becky for staying the course against huge odds. In the end there is only one judge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew that something like this happened at BYU! I'm a senior here right now and am in the same situation. I would definitely be too scared to stand in front of a large class, but I have been talking about my life with my family and other priesthood leaders. I definitely didn't choose this part of my life, but have made several poor choices with pornography and other cases of acting out. Luckily, I was able to open up to my family and friends, slowly change my behavior, and diminish the same-sex attraction. I fell in love with a beautiful woman who is now my wife. I know the power of the Atonement is real and that this gospel is true! Feel free to read my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too was really impressed with this point of view. I grew up near San Francisco where SSA is a big issue and I have to admit that I have always taken the side that SSA was a choice that people decided to make. I am so glad that the Bissets came in and shared their experience because I was so glad to be enlightened and learn something new.

    Since I heard their lecture i have had a new point of view on a lot of situations I have heard about. For example there is a friend of mine whose father left the church and his wife to go live in San Francisco with his gay companion. I have always judged him way to harshly thinking that he was dumb to give up something so good for a worse situation. What i didn't know was that his difficulties with SSA were not part of a choice he made. I am not saying that I am agreeing with how he dealt with the situation but I am saying that I did judge him way to harshly.

    Thank you to this class and the Bissets for opening my eyes to this new view on SSA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just another number of whom agreed the Bissetts were extremely intriguing and expanded an array of fasnations that I have always thought about but kept bottled inside. I received many answers to my questionable thoughts as they spoke and unleashed thier experiences. I do not judge them but I was one that used to be very against homosexual orientation. However, after being informed of how difficult life is when it is not a choice but something you have to work on everyday a realization hit me. I compared homosexual orientation to sin (May I remind you I am LDS and this is my opinion). I feel like we all have sins trials we are working one getting but when you think about it, in those cases it is so easy to hide our imperfections to the world so no one knows; whereas homosexuality persay is external and everyone can see it and judge away. How difficult it must be to not only have to fight it but also have so many people look down on you and judge you. I admire the strength of people in those situations that are faced with this everyday.

    ReplyDelete