Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Facebook poll on killing Obama

6 comments:

  1. While I am not an Obama fan, this is inappropriate. I'm assuming that was just done as a joke, because it seems like most things on Facebook are not to be taken seriously. But Obama still is the president of our country, and should be respected as such. I will be very angry with him if he messes with healthcare, but assasination jokes should be left to private conversations, not posted on the internet for the whole world to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, sorry about my spelling. I didn't realize that the spell check wasn't working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Assasination jokes should be left to private conversations"? Wow.

    The reporters insulted the intelligence of the guy, what, four times? Put me down for #5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, any threat that is disguised as a poll or some other system for gathering statistical data is disgusting regardless of the person being targeted. Modern technology manufactures ignorant, ranting sociopaths; especially the internet because there is the belief that actions are done in complete anonymity. People should be more accountability for how they represent themselves online. Perhaps if people didn't have the option to hide behind a false identity there would be fewer occurrences similar to this twisted poll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the above. It is awful to even joke about such a thing. However I find it odd that a news anchor who is used to covering stories about real murders is so distraught about a joke. A stupid joke, granted, but compared to an actual murder it's no big deal. Anyway, speaking of statistics regarding assasination attempts my dad works for Fidelity investments and they run models about how certain world events would affect the economy at large. They have a model for the event of Obama's assination. They calculated there was a sixty percent chance of him getting assasinated after he was elected. I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but still it's a scary world we live in.
    p.s. I know this sounds sinister, but I kind of wanted to see the results of the survey. I was just wondering if anyone actually put yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously, the person who put this pole on facebook was a complete idiot, there's no getting around that. It is an immature individual that has nothing better to do then sit at home on his computer that make up stupid facebook poles. Was what he did wrong? Probably. Obama-like him or not-is the President of our country and we need to respect him. I think it was the correct move to take the inappropriate pole off of facebook.

    That said, I have a feeling this whole pole was just a joke that the creator thought was funny. He may have been wrong, but honestly, I think media took it a little too far. There are thousands of idiotic people out there and this country does not have time to dabble in games of immature people. Give media attention to things that matter-like heath care-which I still don't understand...gotta go hit up NPR!

    ReplyDelete