Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
Here's a video I came across that outlines the deportation process. It's a tad long, but it really gives you the inside perspective, like real footage. What are your thoughts? Especially, when you listen to the interview-ees and their experiences, what do you think?
All of the handcuffs shown in the movie really are a powerful image. I also thought the bus driver's comments were super interesting since he himself came from immigrant ancestors four generations back. There are many like him who feel that deportation is necessary, and others who think it should be changed. I probably would bet that the same ratio of pro/con exists within the citizens that have much longer ancestral roots within America. I could be wrong though.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Emma that all the handcuffs sent a powerful message. I also thought it was very interesting that the bus driver was driving the illegals back to Mexico when his ancestors were illegal.
ReplyDeleteI do not think we should have an open border, but I do not believe we should close it either. There must be a better way to solve the immigration problem other than deportation. I felt really sad about the one man who was worried about his wife and son. His wife can't speak English, so how is she supposed to get her son to doctor's appointments and what not? Our government should not split up families.
I also felt bad for the 19 year old guy who came over from Guatemala when he was four years old. He did not have a choice of whether to stay in Guatemala or not. And then 15 years later he gets deported. Where is he supposed to go? How is he supposed to survive in a country he did not grow up in? and what if he did not know Spanish. In this case, he does, but I'm sure there are cases where the illegal immigrant does not even know his/her "home" language.
I do not know what the solution is. But I do know that this is not right and that there are better ways of handling this situation.
I feel like the government needs to come up with a solid, concrete plan and then stick to it. We cannot give amnesty to all illegals, but we cannot deport all of them either. There must be a happy medium.