http://www.ivillage.com/gay-teen-ellen-prom-scholarship-constance-mcmillen/1-a-125240
TV Personality Ellen Degeneres has stepped in to help a Mississippian teenager in her quest for equal rights for homosexuals. Constance McMillen has been urging her high school principal to allow her and her girlfriend to attend prom together. The school denied her this privilege so she took it up with the ACLU to help her fight this battle. The school was so outraged that they canceled the prom for the entire high school.
Ellen Degeneres, an active gay rights advocate, has helped out Ms. McMillen with a $30,000 for her support in gay rights.
How much longer is it going to take this country to realize how damaging it is to refuse equal rights to all? I am against gay marriage, but it is devastating to this country when we treat others that are different with such disdain.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for Ellen Degeneres. She is the bomb.
ReplyDeleteI am also against gay marriage, but I think our country needs to be careful with how we treat those who are different. I don't think it is fair to cancel a schools prom because of a homosexual couple. It is especially not fair to the other students in the school. Ellen Degeneres is my favorite person to watch on tv! I don't agree with her lifestyle, but that doesn't mean I don't think she has great talent and humor. I could have easily decided to not watch her show because she is homosexual, but then I would have missed out on some of the best moments in television history! We won't always agree with everyone, but we can accept people the way they are, and do our best to understand them before we judge them.
ReplyDeleteThis is sad to see how people are being discriminated against like this every day. What happened to equal rights for all? Homosexuals are just people like everyone else and should be allowed to live their lives like they want without being discriminated against. I thought it was weird how they canceled the whole school's prom which affected more people than just the homosexual couple and I don't think that was a fair decision. I admire this girl for standing up for what she believes in and I think it's time that society becomes more accepting of diversity.
ReplyDeleteI also thought it was wierd that they canceled prom for the entire school. I don't see how that punished the homosexual couple. I think it was a dumb decision by the school to do that. they have a right to go just like everyone else. I think that in many situations like this people are afraid because it's so different and they don't know what to do. I imagine that if the school had let them go many parents probably would have called and complained that they would let this happen. I don't think it was necessarily the school being against it as much as the fear of what the parents of the other kids would say. I am curious though, does anyone know what happens with homosexuals on field trips. Like I can't imagine it's really appropriate for a gay boy to stay with other boys but it's not really appropriate for him to stay with girls or other gay boys, so what happens?
ReplyDeleteI'm against gay marriage and all of that. I do think that canceling the whole prom was pretty extreme, but in the end, I believe it was for the best. We're only protecting what is morally right.
ReplyDeleteWe can't be too tolerant just because being gay is rapidly becoming the "social norm". If we give them that much more room, soon gay couples are going to be knocking on temple doors demanding to be sealed for all time and eternity just like everyone else.
Where do we draw that line?
Cancelling the whole prom was not "for the best". Are you serious? It not only affected the gay couple but all the other students as well. What is "morally right" anyway? The times are changing. Just because homosexual activities are morally wrong to the LDS culture does not mean it is morally wrong for everyone else. Who is to say our morals and values should be everyone else's? We cannot force our values on to anyone else. Everyone should have equal rights. I am opposed to Gay marriage because marriage is an covenant to God, but what is one school prom? Girls and boys should be able to take whoever they want to prom. The school has no right to interfere into its students' personal lives. The school does not have the authority to say who its students can date. Parents are the ones who should monitor that. If the parents are okay with their child being gay and acting on it, then that is their business, not the school's.
ReplyDeleteAlong with many I agree that cancelling the entire prom for everybody was really extreme. I do believe that the girl should have been able to go to prom with her girlfriend. They probably attend school together, have classes together and hold hands in the hallway. I do not see how this is any different then them going to prom together.
ReplyDeleteBy the way... since when has prom really ever been a moral thing anyways? People dirty dance, get smashed (illegally might I add because it's underaged) and do many other questionable things. I do not see how a lesbian couple would really change the attitude of prom anyways or how the school can have the right to tell them who cannot come if they are not putting the school in danger.
I think this is a pretty big sign of intolerance, sure I do not believe homosexual activity is right or gay marriage is right but I think that you should be able to take whomever you want to prom whether they are straight or not.
I disagree with the assumption that legalizing gay marriage will result in insistence from homosexuals that they be allowed to marry in the temple; why would they want validation from an organization that so vehemently opposes them? I think this is a scare tactic used by LDS people to persuade others to their way of thinking; we have no way of knowing if this would be the outcome.
ReplyDeleteI think the real problem here is the way the school reacted to this incident; there was absolutely no reason to cancel the prom for everyone. They could've easily denied entry to just those students they were in conflict with. No doubt these young women were blamed for robbing their peers of some adolescent rite of passage, and I'm sure they took a lot of heat from their peers, their peers' parents, and others. There is a fine historical tradition of using minority groups and cultures as scapegoats for civil problems, and we need to consider how our policies and actions affect public behavior toward the group we're legislating against.
Gay marriage is something I support fully and really cant understand the ideology of people who are against it. people are different whether it be skin color sexual orientation.. whatever. people have the right to choose who they pursue as a companion just as straight people do. I have a lot of gay friends that are males and everyone of them are human just because they are different does not make them non worthy of a choice. This is just another form of discrimination that i feel is outrageous. we need to consider actions and the way we handle situation situations in society dealing with this matter because it is a big subject to tlak about.
ReplyDelete