Friday, March 26, 2010

Is the Emphasis on a Colorblind Society an Answer to Racism?

After leaving class today, I felt more confused than convinced about the town meeting discussion.

I can see the differing viewpoints and agree with aspects of both of them.

I feel that it is wonderfully enlightening when those of differing cultures allow outsiders to experience their culture--however, not all cultures are this way. Some call for acceptance, but then openly discriminate against outsiders. Perhaps this is a cause as to why racism occurs--people aren't allowed to understand cultures because they are not part of the particular ethnic group.

That being said, one of the main questions I would pose to the readers of this blog is that, if colorblindness isn't an answer to racism, and if we should respect and celebrate all cultures, how exactly would we do this?

Take, for instance, a member of a culture where women are seen as subordinate to men. In order to respect this culture's views, should all women be fired from certain positions?
Or, for instance, cases of what is considered appropriate dress for differing sexes...In one area on my mission, there were a large number of African refugees--and for the women, it was not a big deal to breast feed in front of strangers without covering themselves, etc. Personally, I'm glad that this isn't the case in the U.S. very often!

In addition, after talking with the professor who was visiting and hearing his thoughts that perhaps we could draw from the positive/good aspects of certain cultures and celebrate those aspects, I simply wonder who would be determining what was a positive aspect and what wasn't...Some Native Americans feel that peyote, a key principle in the Native American Church, is useful, and culturally necessary...However, there is a large contingency which dispute the use of peyote among Native Americans who are actually part of the culture...therefore, there is no outside dominate society instructing them on what they can or cannot do--the debate is amongst themselves.

So if we emphasize celebrating differences, how would this be done? And which aspects of the cultures we celebrate should we actually celebrate, and which aspects should still be repressed?

One last example, since I am most familiar with Native American culture, I'll draw from that. While on my mission, we would often be invited to sundance. Being instructed by the mission president not to partake in this--if you look into it more, you can understand why--we abstained...However, we were perfectly okay to go to wacipi's/pow wows, give-aways, etc...Perhaps a similar consideration can be taken in certain Polynesian culture with kava-kava, or even Brazilian culture with their highly caffeinated drink (I forget the name right now)...

Simply put, there are aspects of every culture which some consider good and some consider bad, even among each respective cultural groups members...So, in order to celebrate and respect differing cultures, how can we do this?

Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. First of all, as with any political issue there are great aspects of the debate on both sides and compromise is needed. As to alternative solutions of solving racism, Lauren’s dad named one of educating students in another language from the time they are young. I like that idea, but I don’t think being bilingual is the only solution. I think public education should teach students about diversity, different cultures, and world history from the time kids start elementary school. I know other countries tend to teach more about world history, while the U.S. focuses a lot of just U.S. history. At the private elementary school I attended for a few years, we celebrated various holidays including Cinco de Mayo and Hanukkah. Something as simple as educating students in foreign and religious holidays is a start to celebrating positive differences. Greater knowledge leads to greater understanding. However, I do feel that in public people should follow certain etiquette standards of the country they are in (like not breast feeding everywhere).
    Where did you serve your mission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Matt's comments. In addition to his remarks, I also just felt like reemphasizing one point. The cultures being brought together need to create an equilibrium. The new culture needs to respect the previous culture at least just as much as it's own and #1 understand that there are differences, #2 find out what those are #3 figure out where there may be contraversy, and #4 try to find solutions before retaliation occurs (PREVENTION!).
    If people know and FEEL that there is respect then I am sure that so much of the trepidation and anxiety associated with cultural mixing will take care of itself and vanish.
    Leaders of countries should be aware of those issues too. They are given authority to basically take care of concerns that are important to the people. SO they should do that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that it is important to not force people to give up their culture. However, I do believe that when people come to the U.S. they should incorporate certain aspects of our culture. As was talked about today in class, culture should be additive. Someone should not have to give up their culture to get another one. I think that is why so many immigrants strongly hold to their original culture. They think that if they gain a new culture, the other one goes away. If we create a colorblind society, not a culture blind society I think we would have a lot less racial problems in America!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think that the focus should be taken off of color and focussed more on culture. If we keep focusing on color it will always be a problem. We should teach the younger generation to not look at color and to appreciate different cultures. If we teach children form a young age not to base anything on color the world will be a better place. It will take some time but I think that it can be done. I think something that I got from the debate is that our focus in society needs to be on the different social classes not race. There's multiple races in the lower classes that are hurting that need to be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you mentioned, we must recognize that what we consider "bad elements of culture" could be considered good or positive by other people. Being culturally diverse does not require you to accept every part of every culture. Within our own American culture, how many things could be considered negative? The focus on material possessions and wealth, concern for the well-being of ourselves and not the greater good of society or the group (individualism), wastefulness, lack of preservation of scarce natural resources, ethnocentrism, monoligualism, etc. Embracing other cultures is recognizing that our culture is not superior to others and that we can learn a lot from other cultures. Each person will value different aspects and that is okay. We just need to have an open mind and be tolerant and accepting of our differences and willing to learn from others.

    ReplyDelete