Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Capable Woman

This is to put the social role of a woman into question.

I like this woman :)

Letter: Capable woman

Mon, 11/16/2009 - 21:49

BYU culture struggles to maintain the outdated and patriarchal views that disguise feminine repression through seemingly selfless acts of self-proclaimed “gentlemen.” While walking through campus, I do not see any damsels in distress.

I see competent, intelligent, professional women that do not need a man to hold the door, pay for a date or even present a shiny ring in the traditional manner.

I have hands, thank you. I do not feel flattered when you awkwardly hold the door open for helpless little me. I also have money.

Women who allow men to pay for them on a date are prostituting their worth not only in the relationship, but also in a capitalistic society that strives to provide equal opportunities.

Our income is worth just as much as any man’s labor could produce. Finally, I am equally capable of finding my own mate. My agency need not be stifled by the whim of a male who finally decides that I am worthy to be by his side. I, too, can take a knee; I too can afford a ring. Do you want a princess cut or a solid band?

My fellow sisters in Zion, do not be fooled into thinking that men wear the pants in the relationship. You can, too. Not only are skirts a safety hazard, preventing you from running away from danger, but they are also a symbol of your submissiveness. So, zip up the pants and assume your position next to the man — not behind him.

Mariana Toledo
Sao Paulo, Brazil -Daily Universe

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this post has some good points in it, but for the majority, it is ridiculous. I think a woman should stand next to her man as well, by allowing a man to buy her dinner and open her door is not going to make the man more of a person than the woman. Just because a man does something nice for a woman doesn't mean its degrating towards her. Men do these things because they respect and have love for them. These are just things they do to show them they love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think this letter is pretty far-fetched and offensive. There are a few reasons why:

    Just because I let a man show his appreciation for me by buying me lunch/dinner does not mean I am prostituting myself. When I have bought my guy friends lunch, does that mean they are prostituting themselves for me? If the author is so for equality, then nobody should ever do anything for anyone else, lest we become the most scandalous campus in the country.

    If you are going to bring up that we are sisters in Zion, remember that it's not the sisters against the brothers. You should remember that Zion means that we are of one heart and one mind. To me, that would include showing respect and service toward others. I open just as many doors for others as are opened for me. It's not sexist, it's respectful.I'm glad the author is passionate about what she believes, but I don't see why people have to take such offense when people are trying to be kind. I'm sure most men at BYU aren't thinking of how they can bind us into submission by opening our door.

    I wore skirts every day for 18 months and continue to do so when I go to the MTC several times a week. I'd like to know what happens when you tell sister missionaries that their skirts show that they are being submissive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And this is why chivalry is dying out... because of women who think they need to prove their manliness to the world to counteract for the hundreds of years of repression. Men and women have been given distinct defining roles on this earth, not to be unequal, but to be merely different.

    I grew up with a father and three older brothers who were sweet enough to open my door for me. They didn't do it to put me in my place as a woman who had no hands, but as a gesture of consideration. We perceive men as not being sensitive, as not being caring and as being rugged and "manly"... if anything these acts show how emotional and caring a man truly can be.

    Men and women were placed on this earth with different inherent roles. These roles can sometimes change, overlap, and even intertwine with each other, but it is obvious that men can't bare children. Why do you think God placed us women on this earth with the reproductive system to bare kids? Probably for the same reason that he gave us those monthly emotional periods... because he have more inherent ability to be a natural caregiver for our future generations. This ties into the fact that women can be the bread winners, but at what cost?

    I fully support women gaining an education and not waiting around to simply just get married and sit at home and pop out babies for the rest of their lives... but to say that women need to wear the pants... NO. Women are trying too hard these days to become something they're not. Be successful. Be the President of the United States. Be a surgeon. But don't lose sight of the beautiful gift we as women were blessed with- bearing and raising children. Our single-most important role ANYONE will ever have on this earth.

    ReplyDelete