Are full body pat downs and full body scanners the best way to enforce our security in the airports or is it just an invasion of privacy? Do these new and improved high tech scanners really help or is it just creating privacy issues? According to Tel Aviv airport officials, there might be more efficient ways to ensure a safe flight.
Check out this link concerning this controversial topic:
After watching this I had a couple of thoughts I would like to share. First I personally dont think pat downs are necessary and I feel invade personal privavcy and dignity. But I do agree that certain meaures have to be taken if they feel someone has something of harm but I dont believe pat downs solve that. Second I feel that we can look to other forms of securtiy for ideas on how we could improve the security and lower the personal invasion and increase the customer satisfaction. If I put myself in there shoes I would not liked to be patted down and would feel is unessesary if my belt went off.
ReplyDeleteThis subject is obviously very important after the events of 9/11 and several other incidents that we've seen since that time. They mentioned that airport workers are often times caught profiling which is unfair, at the same time though, this is an important situation that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately certain people are threatening to our country and i think that if they give us reason aside from their nationality to check them, then we should. This goes for everyone in my opinion. I am not a fan of pat downs but it is obviously working so why change it? This goes for the body scanners as well. Personally, I just try not to think about it when I go through them and I haven't found a problem. Another thing I found interesting is that if security misses something, they are fired on the spot. That shows how serious this situation is.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Manser. Although no one likes pat downs, that doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing. I think the protection of U.S. citizens is the most important thing we should be worrying about and we should support any logical method that fulfills that goal. In the clip it discussed the Israeli airline's security system where they interview every single passenger twice as well as assessing each person's risk of being a terrorist. This method is a lot more extreme than America's method. Overall I don't think we should be complaining about security measures airlines are taking to protect its passengers because we could be the one that ends up seated next to a terrorist on board a plane. That's when you'll wish they had patted him/her down.
ReplyDeleteTerrorists, or even people that are getting smarter and better at hiding things, are the root cause of this problem. No one wants to be touched inappropriately, but no one would want to allow people who would do us harm in the airports either. To me, this is a lose lose situation. We have to step up security, and we still have to worry about the potential for terrorist attacks. During Thanksgiving, I got patted down. It sucked, but I don't blame them. I couldn't believe they would pick someone as handsome and innocent as me, but I appreciated the offer anyways.
ReplyDeletehaha, fly naked-that's great. I was thinking it would be fine before I watched the movie, But then I though honestly, our normal scanners would be just fine-WITHOUT the pat downs. Interviews seemed like a much better method. A lot of people might be skeptical about it because they don't have a lot of faith in people, but I think that we are aware of way more than a machine would be. Also, we would be looking for anything suspicious at all, it wouldn't have to just be those specific places we feel on the persons body that we restrict ourselves too. I think that really limits our awareness in a way and limits our ability to secure our airports.
ReplyDeleteArianna Finicum
I fly quite a bit and I feel that even despite the measures TSA has taken since 9/11, our airport security is still lacking. We see this manifest in multiple bomb threats/ landings due to suspicious behavior/etc. since the terrorist attacks. Yes-- pat downs aren't the most comfortable thing, but if they are necessary in order to prevent the death of 2,000+ innocent people and the crumbling of two massive skyscrapers, then isn't it worth it? Israel's method is less physically invasive and yet probably more effective. I think TSA should take even more drastic measures. And not to be offensive, but I think we could all stand to stop complaining about pat downs and think instead about the safety of our country.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Ashley, hopefully the TSA will continue to find different and more effective ways that are less invasive. But they are doing their job and we can't hate them for that. Even though pat downs and scanners aren't fun, it is what is keeping our country safe and that is what we should be focusing on so that something as horrific as 9/11 won't happen again!
ReplyDeleteI don't like to use anecdotal evidence but in this particular argument I find it pertinent. My brother in law has been an LAPD officer for the last ten years. Until recently, he worked at LAX for overtime hours. After hearing the countless stories of arrests he's made of TSA employees, I've come to distrust an assumption that the TSA has created a safer environment for travel.
ReplyDeleteAfter 9/11, I could care less what happens at the security check points. The only reason they are patting you down is for our own safety. How could that bother you? To prevent terrorism; as of now, I think this is the most effective way. If this is bothering you, then don't fly.
ReplyDeleteWhen I heard about these new security measures I was a bit upset. I'm all for keeping us safe, but at what cost? Coming from a Psychology education, I would think this would have some detrimental effects on a lot of people's mental well-being. In college we hear that statistic that one-in-however-many women are sexually assaulted in college. This goes for men and women, there are tons of people who have been abused. Even if they've gone through counseling and stuff, why should we again subject them to being violated? What about children? We raise kids with the knowledge that nobody is allowed to touch them in inappropriate ways and that they're in charge of their bodies. What will it do to them to then have their own parents allow strangers to come and touch them? I'm not saying that TSA employees are a bunch of perverts, but I don't think enough research, or plain human compassion, was put into this.
ReplyDeleteI think the Tel Aviv airport is an excellent example. I'd be okay with that and it would provide some sweet jobs for people.