Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gay and Homeless

Here is a story that combines two of the key issues we discussed in class: poverty and sexual orientation:

8 comments:

  1. Being a child and homeless seems to be a deadly combination. You have no wealth. You have no resources. You don't have the right to vote. Its sad that LGBT youth would end up on the street like this. It may not be, however, that all of them ended up on the streets because of their sexual orientation. It seems logical that many would be drawn to those kinds of sexual behaviors because they are lonely, lost, and look for stimulation where they can. The one girl they spoke to was involved in drugs, and I'm sure that was a leading factor. Regardless though of how they ended up on the streets, without connections and representation, it seems like they aren't going to be receiving much help excepting those who lend a hand out of charity. Let's send a secret million are their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me sad because some beg because they cannot work.Some beg because they do not want to work, and because of their sexual orientation people could care less about them.
    In either case, it hurts when I see homeless people. I get confused on whether to help them or ignore them. If I ignore them, how can I go home not feeling guilty? It's a no win-situation really. I take a deep breath. And move on. Lost in a sea of faces hoping that maybe someday I can do more to help people around me then just to smile and nod as I walk by.

    Chelsea Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am undecided on the stance towards homosexual homeless youth. I do believe that the homeless population should be helped to a certain extent but I feel that most homosexuals could prevent homelessness. By not acting upon those inclinations they could still be at home. It is tough to hear of the problems they face because they lack resources. I agree that politicians will not make that issue a top priority to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also struggling with how I feel regarding this issue. I don't think that it is right for a parent to kick their child out of the house because of their sexual orientation, or even to some degree, because of their choices. The best way to parent is through love and forcing your child into homelessness seems to be the opposite of this. However, I do think that as the parents are providing for their child, it is the child's responsibility to live by the rules of the house. While the parents don't have the right to tell their child they can't feel certain inclinations, they should have the right to tell their child that they have to follow certain sets of rules (for example not acting on their feelings) while they live under the same roof. To me this feels the same as my parents rules (growing up) that I keep the word of wisdom or not sleep around with guys while my parents were providing food, clothing, and a place for me to call home. I think this especially in the case where there are younger siblings in the home that the parents are responsible for as well--they need to make sure that the safety, well-being, and moral standards are upheld for all their children.

    That said, I do think that homelessness is an issue, as well as discrimination against homosexuals which may lead to their increased population in the homeless community. I think what we need to follow in all situations is love, compassion, and respect of personhood for all individuals--be it our own children or the homeless children all over the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to hear that such a large percentage of homeless people are homosexual. This made me really sad to hear that most them are homeless because their parents kick them out of the house or they don't feel comfortable living with their parents anymore. I don't agree with homosexual activities but I feel that it is more important to love your children unconditionally. I am sure as a parent it would be hard to have your child make a decision that you do not agree with, but a child should never feel like they don't belong or are not welcome in their house.

    I agree that something needs to be done about this. More services need to be provided to these homeless people. It is scary to think that an 18 year old could be out on the streets by themselves. This new generation of young homosexual homeless people needs to be taken care of and accounted for.

    -Philip Lundrigan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This issue is so sad to me. I am really surprised at the amount of intolerance people have for homosexuals. Yes, parents have every right to make rules in their household. However, how does leaving children/young adults on the streets accomplish any good? It certainly is not forcing them to heterosexuality if that is the goal. I think that parents need to be more accepting and understanding in this issue. Their child will most likely deal with their sexuality for a every long time. Each child is going to need all the support they can receive, especially dealing with this, despite their decisions in life. As a parent it is your job to be there.
    -Laura Allan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What infuriates me most about this subject is how careless so many parents can be with their children. Their own children. Instead of seeking any plans to help them in their struggle or their own struggle to accept their children, they abandon them. I cannot see any benefits from their children being pushed into homelessness that will help them progress. I agree that as parents they do have a job to be there for their children. In addition, we have a responsibility for the homeless. They are our family, our friends, our loved ones, and how can we be like these parents who have neglected their children because of their sexual orientation? How can we decide that they are better on their own without us? I also agree that it is not easy to know who deserves our help most; whether there are those who cannot get help verses those who do not want to get help, we will need to use discretion. But I know that we need to give to everyone "liberally and upbraideth not" (James 1:5). I don't think there is more I can say than to remember the spirit of this season and we all need to be a little more like Christ.

    ReplyDelete