Monday, November 7, 2011

Secret Millionaire John Ferber Learns the Most Important Lesson

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I was really impressed at this man. I'm one to shy away and avoid homeless people. Even though they are human beings they make me feel uneasy. Anyway through this video he showed the humanity in them. That they are people like us. The two things that got me were when he said that he was surprised they didn't grab everything and runaway. That they grabbed one thing and showed extreme gratitude for it. Also that the man gave the shows off this own feet for a homeless man. This was a very enlightening video to watch.
    -Amber Ah Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how we ended class with this yesterday. That's the best way to end the day. I think we talk so much about all of the horrible things going on in the world, it was nice to see something bright in it. We all have such differing viewpoints, and we could argue them for much longer than class time allows. But at the end of the day, can't we just focus on reaching out to others, comforting those who stand in need of comfort, and performing truly Christlike service? I understand that there are limits, and we tend to feel entitled to everything we have in the U.S., but I think we could all use a little more compassion. Maybe the world has enough liberals and conservatives. Maybe what the world needs now is people who will quietly extend a helping hand, a warm smile, and a pair of shoes where it's needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW! This video really touched me. It's amazing to me that he wasn't doing it for show, or for glory, or for anything like that. It was just a part of who he was. This is what I believe is charity, and what I strive for and hope to have one day in my life.

    The whole way walking home after class I started to think of how blessed I am, and what I could do to help out in my own unique way like this guy did. I liked how Charlie said that all we need is passion and talent, and then we can do amazing things. I have started to reflect more on things that I am passionate about, and I hope to come up with something I can personally do to help those around me using my own talents. Thanks for showing us this!

    -Chantelle Lyman

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really great to watch something so uplifting. It is awesome to know that there are people out there that are trying to make a difference in society, to make a difference in the lives of those who unfortunately, have nothing. I don't know about everyone else, but this really makes me want to get out and do something. It makes me want to help people and to be more understanding of everyone around me. This is a true example of someone who understands life and understands what is important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so touched by this man who is giving of his time and his own shoes to people in need. I am someone who avoids the homeless and usually assume that they only want money for drugs or beer but these people in need are proving that wrong. They have impressed me in that they aren't being selfish.They take what they need and say thank you. The man who got the shoes feels that he was already blessed which, for most people, wouldn't make sense. How could a man in that type of situation be blessed? I think the problem is that people think that material things show proof of blessings when the kindness of strangers and love is what should be considered a blessing.
    Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. This video was a great way to end class, and also to start my day. I was feeling sorry for myself beforehand, but after watching that video I realized how richly blessed all of us at BYU are. The Thanksgiving season also furthered that, so I think the video came at a good time. In terms of having the predisposition to turn away from homeless people, I thought back to my encounters with the homeless. My experiences have mostly been negative, but after watching this video I realize that I shouldn't stop giving these people chances just because of one or two bad situations. If this class has done one thing, it would be that it opened my eyes to a lot of issues not only in society, but inner struggles with these issues as well.
    Ariel Stong

    ReplyDelete
  7. What touched me the most about this video is when the poor man asks "How did you know that's exactly what I needed?" The man who gave him his shoes just seemed to know that that was exactly what that man needed. I think we all could to try to do better at discerning the needs of others, and the best way to know these needs is through the help of the spirit. If we live worthy of the spirit and pray to know the needs of those around us, the Lord will send to us promptings of ways to address the needs of those around us. If we do this, we can help change lives, just like the man in this video.
    Alissa Holm

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an incredible video. I think that we can all learn from this man's example. It is so inspiring to see how selfless and caring that some people are. My favorite part is at the end when one of the guys says, "God Bless You", and the man replies with "He already did". It's really heartwarming to see how grateful the man was. It is amazing how much of a difference a simple pair of shoes can make. I think we can all take a lot from this video. It makes me realize how many things I take for granted, and how much more grateful I should be for the things that I have. If only everyone cared this much about people other than themselves. It would be incredible how much different things would be if this were the case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This little two minute clip was probably one of the most important parts of the entire episode. Not only did it show the goodness of this donator's heart, but it also showed the kindness and gratitude of these less fortunate people. They weren't greedy and unappreciative at all. In fact, as was said in the video, they only took what they needed and then made it a point to thank the man who provided them these necessities. My favorite part was at the end of the clip, when John (the millionaire) said, "I can see why you like coming here. It's a great feeling." This feeling of charity and selflessness is one that is truly indescribable and priceless.

    ReplyDelete