Given that Mitt Romney is looking more and more like the Republican candidate for president, here is an interesting article about his stance on immigration:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/23/mitt-romney-immigration-pressure-undocumented_n_1110704.html?ref=mitt-romney
Given what we have talked about in class, what do you think about his potential policies?
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I completely agree with Mitt Romney. Illegals should not be welcomed into our country and if they want to come here legally, they need to get to the end of the line along with the rest of people who want to come here. Even though we are a nation of immigrants,the United States is also a country of laws. These laws need to be enforced. These people cannot just be told that they can stay here and be legalized or what is the point? Can we get through life doing everything the cheapest way possible? I don't think so.
ReplyDeleteFirst, I think Romney is entitled to adjust his opinion on the topic of immigration. As long as he doesn't go back and forth between policies, he should not be criticized for changing viewpoints after looking more into the facts. Government policies are supposed to change. We can't expect something that worked 100 years ago to work the same way now. Applying Romney's stance on immigration to what I've learned in class, I don't think he is giving a full solution to the illegal immigration problem. Sending them all back would create a hole in the economy and Romney being a businessman, must be shielding that as he leans more toward the conservative side to gain the Republican nomination for President. It is sad to me that everything is politics and not always for the good of the people. Next, he uses terms like "path to citizenship" to instill the sense of doing something proactive in voters minds when they haven't looked into the issue themselves. I believe Romney's previous stance from 2005 would have been more effective because it actually would give a path to immigrants to become citizens if they had a job and weren't relying on social services. In any case, sending mass amounts home or giving mass amounts amnesty isn't the answer. I think it is a more moderate policy that we need. Reading some of the comments below the article was interesting too. Many of the people clearly aren't educated on the subject but one said "It's a two-way street". He was referring to there being a policy and then employers and such following it. I totally agree.
ReplyDeleteI think, as we discussed in class, that this is a political move more than anything. I don't necessarily think that Mitt Romney actually believes this, but may be positioning himself to get more votes, and then if and when he receives the nomination, will go back more towards the middle. Some of the points he make are good though, that illegals shouldn't come into the country, but the thing that is wrong is that the US needs to make it easier for these people to come in legally, or else we will continually have these same problems with illegal immigration. -Jeff Lee
ReplyDeleteI sincerely hope this is a political move. Besides the fact I completely disagree with "tough on immigration" policies, Romney's stated plan is not comprehensive and leaves gaping holes in policy; I don't see how a plan that does not address all illegal immigrants and problems will work. As a business man, Romney must be able to see the multiple holes in a policy that drives away illegal immigrants when they are a substantial part of our labor market. Since his path to legalization is not really a path at all, any large migration of immigrants out of the country will be a problem for our economy. If this is a political move to get the conservative vote, I wonder how his plan will change if elected. Hopefully it will be closer to his previous opinions even though I still think those are a little too harsh. --Liz Hoose
ReplyDeleteOf course this is very much a political stance that Romney is taking, as we talked about some in class, but it's not unjust. Even though he's going to come across very against illegal immigration and show a need to deal with it, he will fall back more towards the middle ground. I like his stance on making illegal immigrants return home and come back legally, I just feel that this is so much easier said than done. There will be an initial shock to our economy if we just start deporting all these immigrants, but I think we can start looking towards more deportation and encouragement of legal immigration to the United States.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Romney's stance on immigration. I think it's fair to send back the illegal immigrants to their home country and wait for citizenship just like everybody else. I think that giving the immigrants incentives for wanting citizenship would help them become more prepared to be citizens. Now, it's too easy for people to come over and live off our welfare program.
ReplyDeleteI just think that it is interesting to see how carefully worded the arguments are during this very charged political election. I believe that in a figurative stance there should be a wall, or the borders secured. But the gates should be left open. In other words sweeping reforms with incentives to illegal immigrants already here, to be able to enter the country with a work visa or with citizenship. This will allow the same flow of immigrants to come into the country, but the process will be easier, and the economy would still be supported with this working class.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Romney on a lot of the points that he makes, though he does seem to shift a lot in his opinions. I believe that a path to citizenship should be open to those within the United States without having to send them all home as this would cost an enormous amount of money and devistate our economy. But, also I don´t believe that illegal immigrants should receive special treatement for comming here illegaly. Overall I´m not sure how I feel about Romney´s policy on immigration and I hope he comes out with a more comprehensive plan soon.
ReplyDelete