Saturday, November 5, 2011

Lost in Detention

This is an excellent documentary about the current situation of immigration and the problems associated with mass detentions and deportations.

Watch Lost in Detention on PBS. See more from FRONTLINE.

1 comment:

  1. I think this was a good documentary on the individual side of immigration, but because immigration is such a complex issue, a more general sweeping policy/reform needs to be addressed. Anyone with a heart can disagree with the atmosphere of these detention centers, there are like CAFO's but for humans. A poor state to live in, or in-between.
    Although I disagree with these detention center treatments, I do agree with the 1 million deportations under Pres. Obama's administration. The majority of those deported were criminals. So what is the matter?! It's making society a better place to live. Now, the sensitive side to this documentary is the good collateral damage versus the bad collateral damage. I do believe that ICE is doing its job, and it has a quota to live up to or else they hear from Washington. I think ICE genuinely searchs for the criminals and not just looks to take parents away from native US-born children. That is an example of the bad collateral damage that adds to the complexity of this issue. The Susanna case was sad, but she was here illegally, and she did break the law by speeding. So ICE isn't just going to let her free, after all she is here illegally. I do think those that have established some roots here in the US and are contributing to the economy and have avoided "serious crimes" should have an easier pathway to legalization.
    This was an interesting documentary, a bit one-sided, tugging on people's heart strings, but I think immigration is more complex than that and has greater repercussions on the economic side of things than the individual side. (Although, I don't doubt I would think differently if I were in their situation, but this issues needs to be dealt with rationally, not emotionally)

    ReplyDelete