Monday, January 25, 2010

Black. White.

Here is a clip of the video we watched in class.  Does racism exist in the United States?  If so, how prevalent is it?  As Bruno mentions, is Brian just looking for racism?

5 comments:

  1. I think that in some aspects and situations, he is absolutely looking for racism. There are so many factors in a day that could explain why somebody was acting a certain way. I think that some people nit pick every situation and conjure something possibly racist out of it. I would feel offended if somebody thought I was racist if I didn't make eye contact with them on the street or if I asked if they needed help with anything as an employee of a retail store. These examples are a bit extreme.

    At the same token, I don't deny that there are situations like in the "white" bar where racism did exist and wasn't just somebody looking for it. I think that there is an extreme to both sides, that racism always exist or that it just doesn't but either way, it exists in multiple facets and we need to be aware of it... but not too sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, racism does exist.

    I find it interesting that race is such an issue here in Utah.

    It seems that in society, there HAS to be some kind of class hierarchy--whether based on race, gender, financial status, etc.

    At the high school and junior high I went to, a lot of popularity was based on sports, but more so with those who were involved in the drug/alcohol ring.

    It was typical to see a "stoner" with a "gang-banger" with a "prep," all because of the standards popularity was based on.

    I feel that we need to not always look for the bad, but also accept that we do live in the real world, and things aren't always rosy.

    Also, as "Sweet Decadence" stated, what are we going to actually DO about these injustices?

    Look at Myron Rolle of FSU.
    He took a year off from football to go to Oxford as a Rhoades Scholar.
    He didn't let either REAL or PERCEIVED obstacles stand in his way--he achieved what he wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Racism is everywhere. I strongly believe that it does exist, though over the years it may have changed from a blatant outward expression to a more inward or discriminatory form. Both the actors in this show have a half-true argument. Blacks have had to live with racism their entire lives and often have to go through some very bad things, and I think this sometimes can lead to what Bruno said, a tendency to look for racism. I think that often times racism is found because it is being looked for. Unlike Bruno, though, I completely accept that racism still exists. We have come far enough from the time of slavery to know that it is socially and morally incorrect to treat another based on their skin color, but we have not come far enough to leave behind many of the stereotypes and beliefs that relate to race. As long as anyone looks at anyone else differently based on a skin color racism will exist. Even if they do not express it outwardly, there is some differential feeling inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that both guys in the video are correct. I know some people who when sitting in a car, if a black guy walks past, they will lock the door. There is racism out there and it will always be out there. People are afraid of things that are different from them and that includes race.

    On the other side, more racism is found than what actually exists. I'm a relatively shy person, and if someone talks to me I'm usually pretty timid in responding. If a black kid were to talk to me and I was timid back they might think I was being racist, but that is just the way I am. If a creepy black person were to walk up to my car I would lock the door, but I would also lock my door if it were a creepy white person. So I think that a lot of the racist happenings are accidental and are found because they are wanted to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think racism does exist especially in certain parts of the country. At the same time though, I feel like a lot of times people look for things or they take something the wrong way. I think many times people are ignorant of how they do or say something and it comes off as offensive or racist. It happens all the time between two black people or two white people or a black man and a white man. While there are those people who still think that different races are better than others, some people come off as racist because they are too scared to say anything because it might come off as racist. I think everyone just needs to do a better job at focussing on the actual person and not their race.

    ReplyDelete