Friday, January 15, 2010

Hate and Haiti

It's hard to believe some of the stuff that people have said about Haiti after the earthquake left their country in ruins and has the whole world mourning. Here are two examples:

1. Pat Robertson



"True story..."

2. Rush Limbaugh
This will play right into Obama's hands. He's humanitarian, compassionate. They'll use this to burnish their, shall we say, "credibility" with the black community -- in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It's made to order for them. That's why he couldn't wait to get out there, could not wait to get out there.
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/mehdi-hasan/2010/01/rush-limbaugh-haiti-obama

4 comments:

  1. The only thing that comes to my mind from those two posts is that good people don't just help other good people. The really good people will help their, "enemies." (Anyone who is Christian supposedly believes in that concept from the Bible.)
    I have no idea if the Haitians made a pact with the devil or not, but I'm sure if we got hit hard with a natural disaster we would want help too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this has little to do with the crisis in Haiti (which is a real crisis, that we all should pay attention to) but I love the phrase "light and dark-skinned black communities!" I am no racist, I love and accept all people, but the political-correctness game has taken one step further. Do we know have to be careful that light and dark skinned blacks are different among themselves? Do they have separate black cultures, and black heritages? Should we start differentiating between the very tan whites and the very white whites? I understand that we are all different, but the fact that we have to distinguish between the color palate of skin on people in order to fit them into a category is ridiculous! Before Obama was president, it was "whites have too much power, and blacks are victims of racism." Now it's "whites think they know it all, light skinned blacks are a little conservative, and dark skinned blacks are misunderstood and ignored." When does this insanity end? You live in America, you want to be American, then be a d*** American! Live the law, love one another, and if the Government sucks, change it! What happened to that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like Rush was simply trying to distinguish between two different sub cutltures in the same racial group. Yes, there is a different culture between "light-skinned and dark-skinned black communities."
    I agree with the above post saying that "You live in America, you want to be an American, then be an American!" Everyone, with their varying colors and cultures, has the choice to be an American. I feel like one of the major problems contributing to feelings of racism in our country is that people in America have forgotten what it means to be an American.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat Robertson and Haiti:

    As members of the LDS church we readily accept the doctrine that the Nephite and Lamanite peoples described in the Book of Mormon, were nearly annihilated as a direct result of their wickedness. We also are taught that they were visited with fierce natural disasters and even their great cities were destroyed.

    Whether or not the situation in Haiti is also the result of God’s judgment, it matters not. As Christians we have the obligation to help all those in need, without stopping to judge the reason for destruction. However, I think it’s interesting that Mormons so strongly condemn Pat Robertson for his views, when many of us believe something similar has happened in the past.

    ReplyDelete