Tolerance and acceptance.
For a while I have been contemplating the question of ‘When does tolerance become outright acceptance?’ I feel that this is especially pertinent to issues going on currently with regards to same-sex rights. Members of the LDS Church have often used the adage “Love the sinner, hate the sin.” I wonder if this is even possible. When does the sin overcome the purported sinner? Some say that being attracted to a member of your same gender is wrong—be it a choice, be it biological—it is still wrong. Be kind to that person, but try to help them learn the error of their sexual orientation. While some agree that being a homosexual is wrong, the same argument has been used over time with regards to race.
In Nazi Germany, Jews facial characteristics were used to portray them in a negative light; in the United States of America, a nation founded on equality, women were denied the right to vote, Blacks were denied equal rights, Native American Indians were moved onto reservations—land which was supposedly of no worth, yet when gold or natural resources were discovered, land was taken from them once again—and the list goes on and on. Seemingly every minority, be it based on religious affiliation, race, class, or gender has had some discrimination imposed upon it by the dominant group.
Back to my question, and I may be grasping at straws in drawing a comparison, but at one point, both race and gender were looked upon as being a “sin.” One may argue “But someone cannot choose their race or gender, and homosexuals can choose their sexual orientation.” I wonder if this is the case, is it merely a mental illness, something that can be treated akin to alcoholism? (This was, by the way, the stance the LDS Church held for years).
Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles stated that, “The Church does not have a position on the causes of any of these susceptibilities or inclinations, including those related to same-gender attraction. Those are scientific questions — whether nature or nurture — those are things the Church doesn’t have a position on.” (see http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=27f71f1dd189f010VgnVCM100000176f620aRCRD&vgnextchannel=726511154963d010VgnVCM1000004e94610aRCRD&vgnextfmt=tab1)
So, why does the Church feel it can get involved with political proposals, such as Prop 8, regardless of if it is a moral issue or not, and want non-LDS American citizens to join the cause? When it was a situation of polygamy, the Church wanted the American citizens, and the American government, to basically leave them alone. So should a church which has had, historically, a history of being oppressed, and acts of violence incurred upon it, seek to put down another oppressed group? Is this action tolerance? And if your answer is to “follow the prophet,” what do you say when a fellow co-worker, friend, or family member doesn’t even believe in the prophet?
Is it tolerance when men, Black men, such as Elijah Abel, are conferred the priesthood by Joseph Smith, only to be told later they cannot practice it? Regardless of the reason you feel it was implemented—personally, I feel it was a practice of policy and not prophecy, the revelation which President Spencer W. Kimball received came because someone who was in a position of authority high enough finally decided to address the issue, after all, the revelation on harmful substances came after men had been using them, showing that either it wasn’t that big of a deal to the Lord, OR the Lord feels that men really must learn for themselves, line upon line—be it policy or prophecy, some still did hold the priesthood, and then had it revoked, not due to worthiness, but do to their race? Is this restriction tolerance?
In my ward, I have a friend who we shall call Spence. Spence has a brother named Brian, and Brian served his mission in an eastern states Black populated inner-city. (Both Spence and his brother Brian are White.) When Spence and Brian’s new roommate’s father came down to help him move in, upon finding out about where Brian served his mission, asked, “So are you a fan of Obama? Is he one of your people?” For a Western states LDS member to posit the question opens up a myriad of questions…namely, asking a White person if a mixed-race person who is regarded as a symbol of Black America is one of his people? Does Brian even understand, or can he understand, what it is like to be Black in America ? Does the question “Is he one of your people?” hold within it some kind of tolerance of the race, or does it show acceptance of equality? Could this statement be regarded as racist? Can we fully understand what it is like to be a member of another race or gender without actually being that race or gender? Sure, with economic conditions, you could take upon yourself a vow of poverty, or work to achieve wealth, but other conditions you cannot change…even if one was to do as, say, Eddie Murphy did on an old Saturday Night Live sketch in which he “painted” himself White through makeup, and then lived as a White man, is it still only a White man’s life as perceived through a Black man? Can an Asian really understand what it is like to be of European descent? Can a Native American Indian really comprehend what it is like to be of African descent? And so on…
I digress, the original question I posited was “When does tolerance become acceptance?” I do not know the answer. I do, however, think that we all need to begin to use our reason, coupled with our faith, and delve into deeper issues, such as, When do I follow my church leaders? When my local priesthood leaders say there is a train of emigrants passing through Southern Utah , and it is our responsibility to go wipe them out, do we participate in the massacre of 120 men and women? When we hear baptized Jews sitting outside a church building weeping, do we take the church’s typewriter and distribute anti-Nazi paperwork, even though it is against the counsel of local church leaders? When do we stand up and say, join me at the front of the bus, regardless of the color of your skin, even though we might end up in a worse position than before?
Do we tolerate people, or do we accept them? When do we believe a sin is really a sin—when our priesthood leader tells us so? When the dominate culture tells us so? When have we merely tolerated someone? When have we actually accepted them as one of our own? And will this ever occur in regards in those with same-gender attraction?
You are right. These issues are incredibly complex; however, I believe that it is each of our responsibilities to act and live in accordance with our 'moral being.' We must do what we believe to be correct (and if we don't then we are betraying and deceiving ourselves). Personally, I do not feel that anyone should act only out of "following the prophet's voice"--I feel that even the prophets have counseled us to search these things for ourselves. In many ways, we must find our own small ways to make a difference in understanding and accepting our brothers and sisters on this earth. It may not be easy, but God can help us (as we pray for Charity, etc.). God expects us to act and search for ourselves, while also following the light and knowledge which we have at the current moment (from the prophets); however, we should never stop asking questions and searching for ourselves.
ReplyDeleteHow do we fight for our values while also allowing others to practice their own? How do we truly love others (including homosexuals)? How do we do this without reaching moral relativism?
Derek, you bring up an important distinction. And I'm not even sure that "tolerance" and "acceptance" are even the right words to describe what we want to feel for those who are different. I'm uncomfortable with the word "tolerance" because it implies just tolerating people who are different from us, and I don't think that's a positive goal at all. There are probably many levels of acceptance, as you've described. We can accept a person, but not her or his actions. We can accept that others' opinions differ from our own, but still not agree. For a long time, I have struggled with the "love the sinner, hate the sin" idea. And I don't know that I have ever come up with an alternative, except to just love people. We too often put people in categories like saint/sinner instead of trying to fully understand them and just love them. As one who has not felt accepted, I can only hope that others will love me for who I am, not for what I do.
ReplyDeleteTwo things: First, I think it's very risky to base any understanding of sexual orientation on media images. These presentations tend to be extremely biased in order to entertain or shock, and they are often tainted with stereotypical ideas. Second, what this insightful post is getting at is not whether or not heterosexuals are willing to embrace homosexuals, but what exactly it means to embrace. More specifically, who is it that we're accepting? Does befriending a gay person mean looking past sins to some other, more pure human? Personally, I'm not convinced that it's possible for us to distinguish a person from their sins so distinctly. Honestly, I think saying you love the sinner and not the sin is an excuse, a failed attempt at compartmentalizing someone in order to put your own mind at ease. We're not eternally defined by our sexual orientation, so to make this some personal, conditional requirement for loving someone is to misunderstand what it means to be a child of Heavenly Father. Therefore, to truly love and accept someone, we have to appreciate the totality of their being. Even the parts that make you cringe.
ReplyDeleteAs an active, believing member of the Church who also happens to have a gay brother, I've thought a lot about this. I agree that "love the sinner, hate the sin" is just an excuse to not love the sinner as truly as you could. Well, perhaps not always, but the vast majority of the time. I mean, if I were to follow that advice, what am I to do when he's holding hands with his boyfriend in my presence? I'm caught in a conundrum as I'm supposed to love my brother while at the exact same time hate the fact that he's holding hands with another man; in other words I'm supposed to be feeling two opposite emotions at once. I have enough problems that I don't need to try to be doing that as well.
ReplyDeleteI recently read something very interesting on homosexuality, which explained how it could kind of be a choice. (Although saying it's a choice is misleading, as the guy himself explains.) Anyway, here's the link: http://www.theguardrail.com/transcript.htm. I'm not sure that I completely agree with him, but his is the best explanation on the topic I've heard so far in my life.
Back to the original question, though. In my opinion, looking at this issue in terms of tolerance and acceptance is the wrong way to look at things. Both involve looking at the other person as different. Think about it, if you say to a person, "I accept you," you're really saying, "I don't care that you're different." If we really didn't care, though, we wouldn't even notice it or think about it or feel the need to bring it up.
There's a difference between seeing someone as being from a different race/culture/whatever and seeing them as different. We need to see and treat people for who they are instead of who they're not (e.g. treating someone as black/female/etc. instead of not white/not male/etc.).
I don't have anyone close to me who is homosexual (not that I know of at least.) I don't understand the frustration or trial of watching a brother or sister create a serious relationship with someone of the same gender. However, I have been around strangers who are publicly homosexual. I have never talked with any of them, I think my curiosity and distaste for homosexuality would show too much on my face if I were to have a conversation with them. I would consider it rude for me to ask the questions that I want to ask (like "Why are you homosexual?"), as well as far too complicated to answer. That is a very touchy subject and personal. I am also afraid of the answers and response I would get. So, instead of being curious or friendly, I just watch them and try to figure it out on my own, which doesn't work. I only grow more and more curious, appalled and frustrated.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Pete that Dr. Robinson's lecture on homosexuality is the best explanation I've ever had. I think I can understand a great deal more through his perspective because Dr. Robinson wants to understand what is going on, he is in a position to ask questions and present them in a thought out manner, and he does this out of concern, not curious ridicule.
Interestingly enough, the lecture helped me understand the Atonement and Gospel of Jesus Christ better. I myself am a perfectionist and very obedient, but I'm learning that I can't earn my way to heaven, I need the Atonement to heal my wounds now. The Atonement isn't an end of production clean up. The Atonement is what heals now. Dr. Robinson connects this in with homosexuality in a fascinating way. Go ahead and read what he has to say.
I too have confused thoughts on same-gender attraction. It's hard for me justify the denial of marriage or the possibility of a family when they don't have the gospel to help them understand why it's wrong.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I just watched one of the "30 days" episodes about a straight man who lives in a gay community. Although I felt sympathy for the individuals who believed they had no choice but to be homosexual, I couldn't deny the deep feeling of the sinfulness that seemed to accompany their justifying arguments.
As I have had many good friends who choose to live homosexual lifestyles, it is easy to see that they are good people. I think having close friends with these beliefs makes it that much harder to stand up and fight against something that is so much a part of who they are and believe in.