Friday, January 15, 2010

Justice Department Intervenes In Gay Rights Suit

This is an interesting story I hear on NPR's All Things Considered today:
For the first time in a decade, Justice Department lawyers have moved to intervene in a lawsuit on behalf of a gay high school student who was beaten up for being effeminate.

The case marks a novel interpretation of the Title IX statute, which prohibits discrimination against students on the basis of gender.

Gay and lesbian groups see it as a bold statement about the Obama administration's priorities.
 http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122620723

5 comments:

  1. No one should have to fear for their physical safety at school, in public, or ideally ANYWHERE! This situation goes beyond gender issues, and into matters of fundamental human rights. It is not right for a young child to be fearful and mistreated, esp. by individuals that are employed by a public school. When teachers allow and condone such discrimination things can get WAY out of control. Teachers are seen as policemen, advisors, moral leaders, educational resources, etc. When they accept unethcial behavior, the students are given much more power and leverage to follow and expound on those behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, bullying is always bullying, and there are no exceptions to the rule. It is not okay to harass someone just because they are different from you. It makes me sad to see the violence done to a high school student. I do not condone homosexual behavior, just as I would not support smoking or immoral behavior, but violence seems the least effective way to express an opinion. No matter the behavior, he is still a person with feelings and deserves respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to lie, when I first heard this I thought "there goes the government trying to increase gay rights." We already know that the government is willing to twist the interpretation of the law to fit its own ends. They are doing the same thing here with Title IX. They took a highly sensitive situation where the offenders were definitely in the wrong and interpreted the law to favor the gay. The situation is such that anyone arguing against the boy looks like a jerk. However, I see this situation as more then just a boy being picked on. I see this as the start of a whole new set laws being passed making the gay and lesbian lifestyle an even more accepted part of our school systems. I found out a couple of days ago that my little sister could end up going to a high school that has a firmly established gay and lesbian club. This makes me nervous. This isn't just about gays and lesbians having rights anymore to me. Its about protecting the innocent from being put into an environment where it is treated as acceptable and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fascinated with the lack of regulation and discipline when it comes to bullying, discrimination, or inappropriate behavior exhibited towards other students, especially in a public environment. In this instance, it was clear to me that the parent (of the child who was bullied), had done all that he could against the entire school. Additionally, the teacher's remarks demonstrated that there lies a lack of respect and personal, moral integrity within society and within our culture. I think there is first an ultimate responsibility within the people to appropriately handle these types of situations and in this case, there was little regulation.

    ReplyDelete