Friday, September 24, 2010

Mothers Who Know?

Today in class, we discussed Sister Beck's talk, "Mothers Who Know" (read it here-- http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-775-27,00.html), and this brought up the question of sexism in the LDS church. I can think of a few responses to this idea, but I'd like to know what others think as well.

In my view, this talk could just be a harsh reminder of the need to have someone watching out for the home and the family, which most people will readily recognize as the basic unit of society. In general, this role is given to women because most (though not all) have the natural talent towards caring for children.

This talk could also be a reminder of the necessity to complete certain tasks. Doing the dishes or cleaning the house isn't a pleasant task, but it is necessary to life. Like most work that we degrade as being "menial," if we stopped doing these tasks, the home (and society) would fall into disarray. Perhaps Beck was suggesting not that women NEED to do these things, but that someone needs to do them. Since women are usually home more than men, it wouldn't be unreasonable to divide the labors and say that the woman should do the greater share of housework while the man does the greater share of "career" work. Perhaps the labor of housework needs to be divided: husband does 8 hours of work at his job and 1 at home while the wife does 9 at home, making an equal share of 9 hours each (whether at home or outside of it).

However, both of the above options are a stretch and work on implications and personal beliefs. What do you think? How do you interpret the talk? What does this imply about the LDS church?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When this clip was shared in class today, I was honestly surprised at the reaction that they were discussing. I had no idea that this single statement had created such a stir among the LDS community. I personally think such a reaction is ridiculous. It's not like this is something we haven't heard before. We know that as women we are divinely appointed the role as nurturer in the home. Much of that responsibility can correspond with homemaking activities. In certain situations, a mother getting a job to help make ends meet is necessary. However our primary responsibility lies within the home, because, as Sister Beck said, that is where we can have the greatest impact. I see such a responsibility as a divine calling, one which makes me feel humbled, trusted, and privileged. The inappropriate reaction to this message is just not necessary.
    --Mary Weidman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they really divinely appointed though? I think as members of the Church we like to think that we're comletely immune to the effects of the Great Apostasy, but I don't think we are. I think that with any doctrine or revelation, we must ask ourselves whether it really comes from God or whether we just think it does because it's "common sense" knowledge we inherited from society.

    And, in this case, I think there may be some very strong arguments that this isn't actually from God but from societal "common sense" knowledge. Now, I'm not saying these arguments are correct, only that they are strong; and I think we owe it to them as honest seekers of truth to give them a fair shake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely disagree. Those roles ARE divinely appointed. Yes, that doesn't mean that it is JUST the role of the mother to be the nurturer or JUST to role of the father to be the provider. In the Proclamation to the Family, which we refer to as modern day revelation, and you're right, we have decide for ourselves if we feel its true, just like everything else in the Church, however the Family Proc does say that "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children" and that these are "sacred responsibilities".

    With all good there will be opposition and I agree with Mary I feel like it was an unnecessary overreaction. We believe in agency, so when its all said and done its your choice what you choose to do, however in my experience I've seen that people are most offended or react to things that they know they can do better. I think that this talk was a good wake up call to everyone that they should put their priorities in order and being a mother (for women) should be at the top of their list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete