I've often thought about the ridiculous pressures put on women to look or act a certain way simply because that is what's portrayed in the media. It's always been something that I've consciously tried to steer clear of in my own life. I never really thought, though, of the discrepancy there is when compared with what the media portrays as expected of men.This clip I found online does a decent job of making this comparison.
It's clear that from day one, we're bombarded with messages of what girls should enjoy, how men are to react, how each gender should dress, etc. In our society, there's little room for individuality when it comes to exploring various gender roles. How different might our culture be if there weren't any labels or expectations for each gender?
--Mary W
Friday, September 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that the idea of a society without any labels or gender expectations is an interesting notion, but it isn't the society that we live in now. When it comes down to it, I think we all just want the same thing, namely happiness. It is just important that we go to the correct sources and judge ourselves according to proper standards to achieve this happiness. This clip and common sense makes it clear that the media isn't the source to go to, as it skews our perceptions. We are blessed, as members of the church, to have the knowledge of our divine heritage and of our roles and it makes our lives a little less confusing to hold ourselves to the standards of the Lord, rather than those of the world.
ReplyDelete