In a world where we are constantly bombarded by images of perfection, this commercial gives a glimpse into how non-existent this world of perfect, gorgeous supermodels is. It's completely unrealistic for women to hold themselves to this standard of perfection, because in reality, it doesn't even exist.
This video is meant to be a response to the post below, but since it wouldn't let me post a video as a response, I'm making a new post.
Enjoy! It's barely over a minute, and is very eye opening.
I can't believe how relevant this really is to women and how we are being affected by media. This women looks nothing like the photograph on the billboard and even with knowing that, we want to look more like her. The lady on the billboard doesn't exist! All models weigh more and have more imperfections than we see in the magazines. Who ever decided what was beautiful anyway? I think freckles are beautiful and I wish I had them, but my room mate hates them. We all have some different views on what is beautiful but to what extent? We all think we need to be stick-skinny like these models even though most models are probably not healthy and have no muscle at all!
ReplyDeleteThe media definitely has control over women in our society and how they view themselves. I think what is difficult for people to understand is that this is not real beauty. Beauty does not really look like this, it is fake. Women should not compare themselves to women in magazines. So much editing goes behind those pictures. This is an industry and in order for them to be successful they have to sell beauty like that. People really do not look like this and we shouldn't compare ourselves to these women. Beauty is different for everybody. We all need to embrace what we have and be happy about it.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love this video and I am glad that Dove did their real beauty campaign. I think the thing that strikes me the most every time I see this video is the two girls that look at that billboard as they are walking by. I've done some research with eating disorders and I think that this "ideal image" is one of the contributing factors to the disorder. I think it is unfair that the media gives girls this standard of perfection and that it can be so detrimental to their health and overall well-being.
ReplyDeleteThe first time I saw this video was at a church fireside when I was 14 years old. Before showing the video, the speaker placed two images up on the screen. One was of the girl before the makeup, hair styling, and photo-shopping, and the other image was of the billboard version of the girl. He asked the boys which girl they would rather date and, disappointedly, I watched as only one young man said he’d prefer dating the more natural looking girl. I feel like one of the reasons young women try so desperately to achieve this “ideal image” is because the “model-like” individuals are the ones who are given the most attention. I do not mean to send young men on a guilt trip, but I believe that the self-esteem of many women would increase if the men did a better job at seeing them through the eyes of Heavenly Father. Not all blame should rest upon the shoulders of the media.
ReplyDeleteSix Billion Secrets is a website for people who have a secret they need to share, but who don't feel comfortable sharing without anonymity. There are several happy posts, some inspiring posts, and some depressing posts. I read the following and thought it fit perfectly:
ReplyDelete"I'm beautiful and popular?
4 years of eating disorders.
Hundreds of dollars on hair dye.
Thousands of dollars on brand name clothes.
Many nights drunk and high.
Around 23 sexual partners.
All before I turned 17.
Why is that what is beautiful and popular in today's society?"
(http://www.sixbillionsecrets.com/view/Self-esteem/319350)
Our perception of beauty is unattainable, and hundreds of girls similar to the one above will kill themselves over that fact. Beauty doesn't have to be "yes" or "no." No one is beautiful all over all the time. The trick is to work with the fluidity of the concept, to recognize which parts of you are beautiful instead of focusing on the parts that don't fit the standard.