Thursday, March 1, 2012

Asking To Be Different?

As my best friend and I were doing sociology homework together for the chapter on race in You May Ask Yourself, we came across a really interesting point. She's in the other class, so she has slightly different assignments, and she had to answer all the questions at the end of the chapter. One of them said:

"Ask three white people you know the following: "How would you describe yourself over the phone to someone who has never seen you before?" Ask three people who are not white the same question."

I helped her ask people, and at first, I figured it would all be the same-- everyone would just say "I'm tall, brown haired, green eyed, etc.". In fact, I was very wrong. Every single white person said their descriptions as I excepted and even included some personality traits, such as loud, fun-loving, smart, so on.

It became interesting when all three people who weren't white gave their descriptions. First of all, they all seemed a little phased by the question, as if it was meant to be offensive. Secondly, race was the first thing that they said. The friend I asked - who's black - said, "Let's start with the obvious. I'm black. I have big lips, curly, black hair, black eyes..."

To me, I never think of being white as being something that makes me who I am. Yes, it has played a part in my life, partly because the "invisible knapsack of privileges", but I don't use it as an identifier. I started thinking about this "mini-experiment" and wondered why this was. While they could be mentioning their race as pride (which they may have; I'm just not sure), I feel like they use it as an identifier instead of describing the individual person they they are. I sometimes feel as though other races use their race to separate themselves. This friend who I asked always takes every little thing, twists it, and says, "that's racist!!". That has ALWAYS bothered me. I feel like he's always looking for racism even when it isn't there. One time, he posted on Facebook "I love being black!! Black people are the best!" I was happy that he had so much pride in his race, but I could only imagine the horror and crap I'd get for posting "I love being white!! White people are the best!!" I know it'd be taken as racism even if I was just proud of my race.

I'm curious to know what other people think of these experiences and their opinions on individuals' own views on their races.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I had never really considered race as an identifier in that way before. In describing myself, my race would be one of the last things that would come to my mind. While I see both sides, I think each side, both white and black could benefit from a little change of attitude. As a white person, I need to recognize the privileges I have and be more careful about what I say (as to avoid unintentionally coming across as racist). And on the other side, just as Dr. Benjamin Carson said at the forum this past week, people shouldn't walk around with their feelings on their shoulders because they will get offended.

    Rachel England

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the insightful post! I had never thought about identifying myself as white other than when I am asked for my race on a document. I think it is interesting that this would be one of the first things each person would do to identify themselves:state their race.
    I completely agree with your comment about posting, "I'm so happy to be white, white people are the best!" There would be an uproar, yet when an asian or african american posts something of the sort no one gives a second thought about it.
    On the flip side, if you were setting a friend up on a date, and the person was a race other than white, would you tell your friend before hand? Just a thought in describing OTHERS as opposed to yourself...
    Brooke Irvin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote this, but I forgot to put my name!! Whoops!

    Andrea Larimer

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting. I guess being part of the majority, sometimes one can forget that their race can be used as an identifying factor. I know what you mean about the "Black people are the best!" comment. It seems that taking pride in your race is something everyone does except white people, because we are afraid of appearing racist. I think that fear comes from the whites history of bad behavior towards other races and that fear is not going away anytime soon.
    Camille Holley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to comment specifically on what you said about your friend gets offended and how it would be offensive if you were to post something like that on Facebook. I attended the BYU forum with Dr. Benjamin Carson. He made an interesting point about being politically correct. He used a couple of his own examples of when he was speaking to a group and someone got offended by something he said about a different race. Basically, his thoughts were that it was ridiculous that we have created a situation where we cannot speak freely about certain things, specifically race, because we'll offend someone. I totally agree! People get offended way too easily when the topic of race or ethnicity is brought up. We all have to be so careful about what we say. I think it's important for people to realize that it isn't necessary to get offended by what others say, as long as we all show respect for each others differences.

    Liz Ammons

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would just like to provide my perspective on some of this. For whatever it is worth, I grew up in a part of Los Angeles County where whites were not the majority at my school. And I feel like I have used race to describe myself and other white people before. I imagine, however, that people just about everywhere often use distinguishing characteristics to describe themselves. And so things that are different about somebody are usually what we use to describe them (or ourselves). I do not see anything wrong with this practice, as long as we understand that we are all of equal worth no matter what our differences and that “different” does not equate to “inferior.” To me, it seems that the main purpose of the exercise was perhaps to help us realize that for many people here in the United States, their race is seen as something “different” and unfortunately, all too often as “inferior.”
    But that is not really the point I wanted to address. I wanted to offer another view of “political correctness.” Often we hear about having to give extra effort to be politically correct, and we witness what happens to popular figures who do not put in that “effort.” (Take the recent instance with Rush Limbaugh for instance. Fortunately, he has apologized. http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-03-05/rush-limbaugh-apology/53375858/1?csp=34news )
    To me at least, I see the effort at political correctness as being a Christlike effort to speak well of others and to not say things that will offend them. I agree that all should be free to speak their mind, but that it is vital that in speaking our mind, we do it in ways that follow the Golden Rule of doing to others as we would have done to us. Indeed in the New Testament, James says “…if any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.” (James 3:2) To me, I believe that honoring a others by referring to them by the name they or their group as a whole would like to be addressed by is a small courtesy that shows our goodwill to them. Much as our Church strongly prefers to be known as “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” instead of “The Mormon Church,” I feel like it would be a similar show of respect to refer to ethnic or racial or religious groups by the name they prefer, even if it may be longer or not “what everyone I know says.”
    Now with this being said, I do believe it applies equally to all people. And, I also believe that the Golden Rule should apply to how we say what we say and should guide our thinking, but that people should feel free to discuss what they want to discuss, as long as they keep other’s feelings in mind and try to be charitable. It is also important to point out that God can be offended and that in situations where offending either God or other people is inevitable, it is much better to offend other people than to offend God. As well, the scriptures abound with admonitions to not be offended, (Mathew 11:6, 24:10; Luke 7:23, Psalms 119:165) as well as not to offend others (Luke 17:1-4, John 16:1, 1 Corinthians 8:13, Romans 14:21).
    In short, being charitable in what we say can require extra effort, but it is something that is appreciated.
    Kenneth Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this whole post and comments. When I first read it it really took me by surprise like the author of the post said. As I read other people's responses I thought about what I would say if asked that question. After hearing this question I would probably say I am a total white girl because growing up my sister would always tease me about not being as tan as her(she has amazing olive skin). I don't really know what I would say. I agree with Kenneth about using terms respectfully. I think we can use good judgment in what we say remembering how others can take it. The good ol' Golden Rule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a super interesting post, along with the comments. I am half black and half white, and if I was asked this question, my race would be the first thing I mention. One thing Liz brought up that I wanted to respond to specifically was the idea that people are too easily offended, and that people don't need to get offended as long as we show respect for differences. The problem with this is that people do not always show respect for others differences. Many times at BYU I have found that if I let people make small jokes about my ethnicity, it just escalates from there. I honestly try my very hardest to brush these things off, but it makes me sad sometimes. I understand that being offended by every little thing is completely unnecessary, but when those little things become more constant and not so little, it's much more difficult to ignore. Obviously this does not happen in every case, but it definitely does happen. A lot of times I just get tired of hearing the same not-super-offensive-but-still-kind-of-offensive black jokes from different people on a relatively regular basis.

    -Camille McAlmont

    ReplyDelete