Thursday, March 1, 2012

LDS Church condems past racism

Recently the article in the Washington Post has stirred up quite a controversy on race and the LDS Church.  I thought it might be helpful to post some information for those who are interested in learning more about the issue:

Washington Post article

Deseret News article (summarizing the latest information)

Church response to the Washington post article

Another statement about race by the Church

An interview with Elder Holland where he talks about this issue (scroll down to the following question: "Where were you when you heard that the ban was lifted on blacks in the priesthood?"

An article that uses the scriptures to debunk the myth of the "curse of Cain"

Finally an article that talks about three myths about blacks on the priesthood

8 comments:

  1. There are many things I could say about this issue, but I think I will just stick to a simple statement that I vehemently disagree with the assumptions Bott makes about some kind of inheritable inferior quality that makes blacks unworthy or unprepared for the priesthood. This goes against everything we believe about human agency. He assumes that they have some kind of restriction on their ability to make good choices. This is inexcusable.
    That being said, I also believe that Bott is a well intentioned, good man that has made a flagrant error. But we all make mistakes and overconfidently state our opinions as fact. I am in no way trying to excuse his behavior. I just think we should hate the sin, but love the sinner.

    Steve Jennings

    ReplyDelete
  2. To go along with what Steve commented, along with the essential doctrine of agency we need to also remember that all people are children of God. Getting caught up in what we may think or how someone else tries to explain a situation isn't going to get revealed truth. It is even worse to be angry at someone because of what they believe. I don't think Brother Bott said what he said as a matter of fact, simply a way of explaining situation. Though we need to be careful in any situation when someone speaks and people may think it represents the truth.

    Taber Gibbons

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to listen to everything going on around us dealing with the issue of race. I feel for Brother Bott, because I too feel that he never intended to mislead anyone, but sadly when something is posted in the Washington Post people take note. I know that I too have the fear of misrepresenting the church, as Taber Gibbons mentioned in his comment. I feel that this is one important reason in which BYU requires their students to take religion classes, but I too think that these teachers need to be careful to CLEARLY state when they are giving doctrine, and when they are giving their opinion, because often one may get the two confused.
    I felt that the church's response to the article was well put, and did not degrade Brother Bott in any way. I feel for him. My hope is that we can all pray for Brother Bott. As well as pray for ourselves to represent the church correctly, and that altogether the church might be represented correctly in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Sorry :) This post was by Brooke Irvin

      Delete
  4. I think that it is unfortunate that the LDS church gets so much attention for not allowing blacks to have the priesthood when many other religions restricted blacks in similar ways.
    The bottom line is we do not know exactly why blacks could not hold the priesthood for a time. It is obvious Brother Bott feels bad about how the interview came across. I think that is important to remember that members in the LDS church are not perfect. But the gospel is. We need to hold true to the official Church statement "We believe all people are God's children and are equal in His eyes and in the church. We do not tolerate racism in any form."

    -Natalie Boswell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it interesting that people who don't know much about the church and our policies always seem to be the ones who cause the biggest stir in the media. I remember running into a lot of people on my mission who judged us for things like this. The best part is though that when you get down to it and go into the doctrine, our church is definitely the least racist church in the world. I know there was the uproar caused by Brother Bott's comments, but I have read a similar commentary by him where if you actually read what he is saying rather than picking pieces out and making it sound "bad," you can tell it is just his opinion and nothing doctrinal. Unfortunately we as members are not perfect and we just need to do our best to defend what we believe and try not to say anything that could be taken the wrong way by those not of our faith.

    -Erik Porter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt that the church's response to the article was well put, and did not lash out at Brother Bott in any way. I just hope that we can be more careful next time we are speaking "for" the church or in regards to the church.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really is a sensitive topic and something that people of the LDS faith must be very careful talking about. After discussing this issue in class I have come to the conclusion that there really is no solid evidence suggesting that this was wrong or right. I feel that it is important to remember that we follow the words of the living prophets. The ban has been lifted and we need to focus on that instead of on what it used to be.

    Liz Ammons

    ReplyDelete