Friday, March 2, 2012

What would you do? in Utah

In class, we have watched clips from the show What Would You do? There was an episode that aired tonight where all of the filming was done in Utah. It was very interesting to see some of the scenarios that they set up and the reactions that people gave. With all of the recent publicity from Mitt Romney and the Book of Mormon musical on Broadway, I felt that this episode did show some positive things about people who live in Utah. Even thought not all of the people interviewed were Mormon, it shows that there are incredible people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in.

Here are a few of the clips from the show that aired. I would recommend watching the entire episode.

"What would you do?" Tests gay support in Utah

"What would you do" Bride Lies about Virginity: Should Mormon Husband Still Marry Her?

Here is a Link to the Website with the rest of the clips

Posted By: Daniele Vaughan

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I find it fascinating that so many were willing to step in and help out. I know Utah is known for having very strict and somewhat judgmental views towards others, but i think this was a very nice example of people with good hearts who have a genuine care for one another. The views may be strict, but if theres one resounding theme from from the show, its love one another.
    Eliza Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was watching this clip, I just kept thinking what other people who are not members of our church think of our beliefs. Most of the youth today get into drugs and sexual activity by at least high school if not earlier than that. If someone outside of our faith overheard that kind of conversation that was on the clip, I wonder if they would be thinking that the person was overreacting and being too judgmental about their significant other’s past. Granted we do have certain standards that remain important to us, but if you truly loved someone would it their past sins really matter? Also the scriptures do say that once a person had confessed and forsaken the sin, that the Lord would forgive them and that He would remember it no more (D&C 58:42-43). And if God, the Greatest of All says that if we repent He would no longer remember our sins, then who are we to not do the same. I guess just something to think about.

    Rachel Shimizu

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I am glad that Utah residents were portrayed in a positive light(generally), I think that these clips are just another example of selective editing. One of the problems with programs like this is that the editors get to pick and choose which people and reactions that they include in the final cut. In my opinion, these types of programs are fairly entertaining, but really aren't very informative past what the producers want to be portrayed. A real sociological experiment would be ashamed that this type of study was being used to make a point. The generalizability is just awful.

    That being said, I do think that these clips took the high-road in not trying to dig up dirt on the already stereotyped Utah population. I really enjoyed watching people try to do the right thing, and I think that people all over the world are just trying to do the same thing.

    Nate Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the video of the people reacting to the "gay" son quite interesting. I think too often people assume that because a certain group of people don't agree with a certain lifestyle, they must automatically hate everyone involved in it. I think that people in Utah get an especially bad reputation for being homophobic and treating others unfairly simply because many of them see homosexuality as an inappropriate action. I feel that the responses of the people in the video are probably quite standard for what most people in Provo would have said. I think most people have generally good intentions and care more about individual people than what they're given credit for. There will always be those that speak out rudely against those that are different, but I think they are the vocal minority, and not the majority. In our defense of people that are different we shouldn't condemn those who oppose the actions and not the people.

    Landon Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe that this is an accurate representation of the general views on homosexuality in the state of Utah. With such a large Mormon population I think that more people who say things similar to what the elderly couple first stated. The old man's comment that the boy couldn't have been born gay but must be "running around with gays who are telling him that" was said in such derogatory way and made it sound like the kid was trying to score heroin with a buch of druggies. This is the attitude that I've encountered with the majority of Mormons that I have known throughout my life. One woman even taught a lesson in Young Women's where she stated that she would not let "one of those people" anywhere near her children or step inside her home. Just the thought of it made her sick.

    Mallory Moreno

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like was mentioned with all the publicity the Church is getting right now I think it is very important that when we talk to others about the church we convey an appropriate representation of what the church’s stance is and the true doctrine of Christ. Opinions and assumptions are let for a better setting when understanding can be reached of what is being said. Hopefully the “outside” views of the Church can see that while we are not all perfect the doctrine we teach is the principal. Like others have said I’m not sure if what is shown in the videos is a true representation of our Church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was surprised in the video about the son coming out to his father. I really didn’t think so many people would respond that way. It makes me happy to see that they are supportive and share the message of love. I think that this clip was really good. It shows that people in Utah and LDS members are more compassionate and open-minded than we sometimes are portrayed. I think this was good for the image of the church and Utah. The second video about the girl not being a virgin however seemed weird to me. I feel in a way the LDS church was misrepresented as being very harsh especially because of the guy’s reaction to her confession. I also know that there are people out there like that. I guess the LDS church can be portrayed and viewed in both positive and negative ways.
    Camille Cole

    ReplyDelete
  9. "What would you do?" Tests gay support in Utah:
    This story is one that many Mormons should hear. I think we need to push aside the differences like Christ did and learn to just love people no matter what differences we may have with them. I think as a father he acted how every father I think would he seemed baffled and confused and just didn't know how to accept the truth. I think we as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints need to reach out to groups even if we don't agree with what they do and love them anyways. I think from last conference we can all agree that a big focus was put on the family unit, I think that we should focus and that father should focus on what matters most and that would be loving his family, even if it means loving something new or different from yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite these two scenarios being very stereotyped towards Mormon disapproval, I still think that it was good for people to watch because it gets people to think about what they would really do in a similar situation. It was difficult for me to think that some people (of LDS faith especially) could be so judgmental about these topics because the Savior has taught us to love one another and leave Him to be the judge. When the boyfriend states that he doesn't know if he loves his fiance anymore after finding out about her past, it bothered me because that is exactly what the atonement is for. We all make mistakes and need to use the power of the atonement to repent and become clean again. As a Mormon culture stereotyped to be unwilling to accept or forgive issues such as homosexual orientation or premarital sex, I think that we all need to show Christ-like love to these people and help them to want to stay close to the gospel instead of judge them and make them feel alienated from their religion. Repentance and the love of the Savior is for everyone no matter who they are or what they have done.

    Sara Gines

    ReplyDelete