I came across this blog post today and thought it quite thought provoking. Here's what Bassey Ikpi had to say about a poem she recently wrote, follow the link for the full text.
About ten years ago, a few years before I became a mother, I wrote a poem called Apology To My Unborn about my fears for my then unborn son. My son is now 5 years old and has been asking me about Trayvon Martin. I’ve done the best I can to answer him in ways that make sense to him but I’ve become incredibly saddened by the weight of it. The fact that there are conversations that I’m going to have to have with him as he gets older that go beyond normal parenting upsets me. I hate the fact that there are rules of conduct for boys of color that are meant to keep them from being murdered senselessly. It pains me. The fact that despite these rules, it takes just one person to act out and stop their life, infuriates me. But at the end of the day, my job as a parent, is to make sure that my son doesn’t carry the weight of society. I can’t raise him to fear. I won’t.
I have been unable to write about Trayvon Martin because there is so much more to this than what I have the space to comprehend. I don’t know what to say. Tomorrow will be a month.
This morning, I did a free write on my son and Trayvon and questions and parenting and I revisited my poem Apology To My Unborn and used it as a writing prompt. This is more or less something answering myself as my son is now older and my fears have changed. This is not a work in progress because I don’t think I can stand to go back and edit and shape it into something that makes sense. I can’t let this fear and pain affect how I raise my child. I won’t.
My love and prayers go out to you and yours.
Love someone and mean it. Please.
B.
http://basseyworld.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/free-write-apology-to-my-brown-boy/
-Sarah Overson
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Honestly this post brought me to tears especially because I know that one day I will be a mother and my children will learn about this. I loved how she explained that her job as a parent is to teach her son and she does not want him to carry this weight of society. I do not understand everything about the Trayvon case and no one has the answers but I think that with this mom speaking out about how she feels and what she talks to her children about can bring awareness to everyone of all races and colors.
ReplyDeleteAs we have talked about in our class there is still racism in the world today and there is no one that has an answer on how to fix this problem but the main thing that I have learned that we need to start somewhere. We do not want to have another Trayvon Martin case and then fix something we need to start today.
In our society we all have different opinions but whether you are white, black, hispanic, or any other race you can feel that justice needs to be served for this boy and we need to come together in this time of tragedy. I do not know all the facts but the plea of this mother makes me want to become more aware of how I treat everyone and I will be more conscious now because of this simple poem.
-Amanda Fowlkes
Sarah, thanks for posting this. I felt like this was an intensely moving piece and was glad to come across it. Articles like this is one of the best things about our sociology class- we are becoming aware of controversial issues that can help us become better as we arm ourselves with the tragedies that occur in society. This class makes you think and place issues pertinent to society bluntly in our faces.
ReplyDeleteThis mother does well in speaking for parents fears concerning children growing up in this world. It is difficult to express such emotion and fears and yet find faith in overcoming. It's quotes like these that bring me so much sadness. "How can I teach you to love this world when I’m not convinced this world will love you back. It is a sadness that I would never want my children to experience and yet, it is our call and duty to change it. As the leaders of tomorrow it is our job not only to be educated about all different perspectives and lives of others, but to be able to try and find solutions to ease the problems of the past for a better future.We are called to teach our posterity to overcome the evils we are aware of and keep them untainted from the hatred we experience. Such a noble calling can indefinitely not be done without divine intervention.
Shelby Hatch
It is hard to believe that some people can do such horrible things. That racism is still prevalent. Then, when you bring children into this world it is tough. You want the best for them, you want them to have the very best possible. You want to remove any roadblocks that would be in their way. Raising a family is tough enough without adding other sociological issues. I am so thankful that this life is not it. That there is more after life, where things are just and perfect. Not saying that we shouldn't do all we can to change things in this life for the better. But it is comforting to know that there is more.
ReplyDeleteBrad Bohman
I have to agree with Brad, it is so unbelieveable the things people do and not to mention how easily so many do it. There have been so many instances where people have made comments and I have been shocked that they would say things so cruel or just down-right inappropriate and wrong in my opinion. I applaud those who can be strong in the face of these trials though but I do sympathize greatly for all who have to deal with things such a racism, when they really shouldn't have to. It's a bad institution.
ReplyDelete-Ciera Laws
This post reminded me of the movie and book "The Help." The children in this book are raised loving their black maids but later despise them because of their skin color. I feel like it is hard to teach children about racial equality while living in Utah. I do not remember seeing a black person until I was five; I grew up thinking that blacks were completely differnet from white people. I want my children to experience multiple races and culture; that will not happen in Utah.
ReplyDeleteJess Blockburger
This piece was indeed sad and moving. Like what has already said, I am grateful for the increased perspectives we've gained from this sociology class. I would also like to point out that there is hope. Although the Trayvon Martin case is sad and terrible and unjustified and demonstrates how much work we as a society and the next generation have in front of us, it is encouraging to note the progress that has been made. Sixty years ago, segregation and lack of voting privileges based on race still existed. As a country we have, and can continue to make, substantial progress in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this. I think it is so sad that people with children of color have to worry about this sort of thing. Racism from a few people has negatively effected the whole country. Although we cannot make people stop being racist, we can show them love, and through our example, teach them that everyone is equal. I hope and pray that something like this never happens again, and that we may all show love towards one another.
ReplyDeleteCourtney Heyrend