Friday, March 2, 2012

"What Would You Do?" in Utah (part 2)

Here is the clip I thought was the most revealing, on the topic of interracial relationships:



video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

And here's one about domestic violence (I was touched by how the people responded to this one:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

20 comments:

  1. I thought that this was fun to watch because it was in Utah. The video on interracial marriage made think about how people are raised. If you are raised to believe there shouldn't be interracial marriage then that is what you will believe until someone proves you wrong.
    Ethan Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comment that if you have been raised to oppose interracial marriage then it is very hard to accept a close family member doing just that. Carlton mentioned in the video to the 'Dad' that it is the new age and young couples think differently. Although what he said is true, there are still many from the older generation who have been through the period when racial prejudice and segregation was prevalent and have been ingrained into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that these videos, especially the second one, go to show the goodness in people. Although many people think that society is corrupt and horrible, there are a lot of good people in the world. The men who stood up for the abused women were chivalrous. I hope that if I am ever in a bad situation, people like them will be there for me.

    Mary Nannette Wright

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pretty shocked to view the scenes about interracial marriage and dating but I too agree with the above comments. I know for some generations, especially those above us who lived during prominent years of racial segregation, interratial relationships and acceptance may be a difficult subject. Even so, it is our job today to break down racial barriers and constructs for all ages to show the commonality people deserve.
    When watching the second clip, I was grateful to see the men who stood up for the abused woman. I have seen many cases of domestic violence and a lot of harm that could have been prevented had someone took the time to step in and make it their problem. Such an example keeps alive the goodness of people and ability that everyone can make a difference in the lives of those around them.

    Shelby Hatch

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the setup for these TV show very interesting. I think people today generally like to avoid unnecessary interaction with each other. Even on BYU campus, I look to give a passerby a friendly smile and they act as if I'm not even there. It is really sad. However, I find comfort in these videos-especially the domestic violence video. There are still good, heroic people in the world who will respond to people's pain. I also found it interesting that when asked if they considered themselves heroes, they claimed that everyone should respond in the same way. I agree, it is nice to see that there is still good in the world.

    Samantha Clyde

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the second video about domestic violence. The fact that people are willing to step up in a situation they are not completely sure about is amazing to me, and is an inspiration for me to help others, even if I don't know all the circumstances. However, despite the goodness that the men in this show exemplified, there were some men in the beginning who were unwilling to help because it was socially awkward. When this ever happens for real, then let's hope that people like those last three men are around to help the victim.
    Eden Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first video was interesting to watch and observe the differences in opinion on the interracial couples with differences in age. Being a multi-ethnic minority I see no difference or problem in being in a relationship with someone you love regardless of their skin color. For me to watch those two ladies get upset and cry over two people in love based on the color of their skin was disheartening.

    The second video had more of a sentimental feeling with men protecting this woman from an abusive husband/boyfriend. This episode reminded me of an earlier episode of “What Would You do” when they had a situation of an abusive couple in the park. One couple was white, another black. In the case of the white couple literally dozens of people stopped by that day to stop the guy from attacking the girl. In the case of the black couple out of 100 people that passed by only 4 people stopped to help. In relation to this video I questioned would people in Utah be more inclined to help this couple out if they were black, or even interracial?
    Nalia Tafua

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the first video hit a strong note with me. The thing that stuck with me though was not of the borderline racist elder lady though, it was the interview with Carlton at the end. Despite knowing full well what the elder lady said he still managed to shake her hand, give her a hug, and calmly explain his stance on the issue. I found this took great strength on his part, and is a prime example on the appropriate way to open the mind of other people. Being aggressive may seem more personally rewarding at the time, but in the long run does not accomplish the desired result.

    Joshua Nair

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first video was extremely interesting to me. I have grown up in the south and so the idea of interracial relationships and marriages are a touchy subject to people in my family. The old lady that said that if you are white you marry and white person and if you are black you stay with blacks is how a lot of people of the older generation that I interacted with felt. It breaks my heart when people act this way and the fact that there are still people today that can not look past the color of someones skin. I was shocked when the old lady shook the black actors hand that she still said that he should stay with his kind. I felt very uneasy while watching this just because I know that this is really a struggle that many people face.

    The second video was hard for me to watch. I have a close friend who has been in an abusive relationship and so this hit far too close to home for me. I could not understand why people waited so long to say anything to the abusive guy. I understand from seeing my friend that girls feel trapped in these relationship so they just sit submissive but the men that were in the restaurant waited far longer than I thought before they said anything. The statistics that were talked about truly amazed me and I wonder like the person above how people would have acted if it would have been a couple that was not white.

    Amanda FOwlkes

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found the first video interesting to watch and observe the differences of opinions when it comes to race and relationships. It was almost hard for me to believe that there are still people who have these views. I grew up in the DC metropolitan area, where the views on race and relationships are very different than the ones portrayed in the video. It's fascinating to see how people's views can be so skewed. I was also impressed with how Carlton showed respect to the woman and accepted her opinion.

    -Kaile Knell

    ReplyDelete
  11. After watching this first video I could tell how deeply confused the two women were. They loved the fact that they could agree and support someone else who didn't believe in interracial marriages but as soon as they found out they were actors they didn't know what to say. Then the older lady started going off about how its okay to marry mexicans, but not "colored people". Then to gain sympathy she starts saying that the only reason she doesn't support it is because of the children. She just keeps running around in circles without any idea what her real opinion is. She even says that Carlton is probably a really nice guy and she still loves him, but she wouldn't want him to marry a white girl. There is just no logic or reasoning behind any of their opinions! The lady who has a daughter realizes that she has probably already gone too far to go bad on what she was saying but you could tell how uncomfortable she felt. This is almost hilarious how foolish the two women look, but the fact that discrimination like this still goes on is horrible and needs to stop.

    John Koelliker
    MWF 2-2:50

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found the first video very revealing about different generations of people. The 40-year old man at the beginning that stood up for the couple obviously felt very strongly that the father's remarks weren't acceptable. Then, when looking at the older women who grew up during a time when racism was even more rampant than it is today. It's interesting that their different upbringings were a key factor in how they reacted to the situation and that they still might have some biases from when they were younger.

    Preston Porter

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I watched the first video I was really upset at the two older women. I just don't see how they could be so close minded. However, I thought about it a little and when the old lady said that "they should stay with their own people" it kind of hit me a little. Some groups and races are so set on keeping their culture pure. I mean, even "non-white" people have these beliefs. My grandma told me about how her parents met, one German and one Italian. It was not acceptable at all by either culture to mix the races. I think I understand the desire to keep culture and race pure even though I don't agree with it.
    The second video was really good. I've always been taught that abuse is silent and that most people are too scared to do anything about it. I'm glad to know that there are people out there who would take such extreme measures to fight the abuse and that they were doing so much to try to keep that woman safe.

    Nicole Quaranta

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dont agree with the old woman becasue people can married anyone they love. It is not about race is a very personal decision.
    They are not going to break a family just because they are involved with another race.
    but culture is not about color, culture is about living with universal values such as love and understanding of others.
    Wendy Pacheco

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watched the first video. Like many of the people who commented before, I was shocked by the older two women. I realized though while I was watching this that racism seemed to be more prevalent among the older generations. This made me think that perhaps racism towards blacks at least is slowly "diluding" down through the generations. Maybe by the time our grandchildren grow up they will be surprised to find out there was ever any racism towards blacks, just like we are shocked by the fact that there was racism towards Irish or Japanese. Hopefully we will continue to evolve into a more tolerant and accepting people!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found the first video fascinating to watch. This is a very salient topic for me--as I'm white and my boyfriend is Indian (he's actually a first generation immigrant from India). It's interesting, because I've found that as a whole, people where we're from (San Francisco area) are very accepting of interracial relationships. I'm assuming a lot of that has to do with the simple fact that the area is much more cosmopolitan (and liberal) than Utah, so interracial couples, while not the norm, per se, aren't an oddity either.

    This is not to say that we haven't raised any eyebrows--but I've found that the most any of my white family and friends will say to us is something along the lines of, "Make sure you know what you're getting into; different cultures can lead to relationship conflict." His family is really supportive as well, however he has gotten surprising comments from family friends. One particular comment that he got was, "Are you sure you want her? Look how pale and white she is--her skin doesn't look good with yours at all." This comment came from a woman who is a close and dear friend of his family, and is by no means someone that I would consider to be unreasonable or blatantly racist. Race is definitely still a huge factor for some people when it comes to relationships, which is disheartening.

    Amy Black

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was pretty upset after watching the video clip of the interracial couple, but not surprised. I recently dated a guy who was black (he was born and raised in Ghana) and I am white. Fortunately, my parents are incredibly open minded and the racial difference was not an issue for them. However, many of my friends were not. I was raised in Orem (arguably one of the most conservative states in the country) and a lot of my close friends and family friends were not okay with it. Several people even made racial slurs towards him, even when I was around!

    While racism exists more in the older generation, it also exists in our generation. This is because our generation was raised by the older generation! Parents often pass on their racist sentiments to their children. I saw it was often to a lesser degree than in their parents, but racist attitudes still existed in my same aged friends. Parents have a huge effect on the attitudes and behaviors of their children, but hopefully in the case of racism, people today can be educated enough to look beyond race.


    Melanie Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  18. The two older women's response in the first video was very disturbing. From my own experience, I have found that the older generation is a lot more close minded towards interracial relationships altogether. It was fascinating to watch one of the women make incredibly racist slurs and then as soon as the camera crew came in she didn't know what to say and became embarrassed. I think she knew that times have changed and that what she had been saying might not be right. Not to say that racism does not exist in the new generation, but I believe that the younger generation is a lot more open-minded and accepting of people.

    The response of the people in the second video was touching. It is nice to know that the majority of people are willing to help. I am glad to know that humankind has a sense of responsibility to help and look out for one another.

    -Kelby Gummersall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not take abuse lightly whether it be physical or verbal. As far as my particular reactions would go it depends on the case, but in every situation I would evaluate the circumstances until the Spirit prompted me to intervene. I grieves me to witness such things and also to know that many cases go unseen and unheard of for years. Especially from a male standpoint, to see the daughters of God treated in such a way cuts me to the core, and makes my blood boil at the same time. There is absolutely no excuse for such behavior and I will do all that I can to prevent what I can. Neither spouse or parent should exercise that kind of dominion over the other spouse or child. It also sorrows me to see that many do not have the courage to act. The more people begin to stand up against such wrongs the better off everyone will be. That is my biggest hope, that we can have the courage to stand up for what we truly believe in.

      -Daniel Souza

      Delete
  19. That second video is awesome! Although there are serious problems with domestic violence, it is still cool to see that there are people out there that will stand up for a complete stranger. However, this type of mental and physical abuse is a scary problem especially when girls get attached to bad guys at a young age. I have watched many girls that I grew up with get attached to these types of guys and they end up feeling worthless. I also think that our generation will slowly shift to less actual violence and more to mental and emotional abuse. This is because punishments for actual violence are severe but it is hard to convict someone of mentally abusing someone. Furthermore, mental abuse is sometimes much worse than physical abuse because the victim loses all hope and creates a worthless view of themselves. With all that being said, it is sweet to see citizens stand up to what they know is wrong. Even with the abuser coming off as a pretty scary guy.

    John Koelliker

    ReplyDelete