Friday, March 16, 2012

This I Believe in The Student Review

The latest issue of The Student Review featured an interesting article written by a homosexual student who attended BYU.  The article outlines his struggle to become secure and confident in his sexual orientation in an LDS setting.  Although we've moved on from this topic in class, I think the article is definitely worth one's time and a moment's thought.

Here's the link: http://thestudentreview.org/2012/03/13/this-i-believe-4/

-Sarah Overson

10 comments:

  1. Hmm, this is interesting.

    One thing he mentions is the feeling of unworthiness in front of God because he's homosexual. "How could I be gay and still have a relationship with God?" he said. I think Satan eats at us with this idea, that if we have something that is holding us back, or that is a challenge, it makes us less qualified to talk to him. And that's when we need it the most.

    And while I don't know what it feels like to struggle with homosexuality, I know that feeling he mentions of being afraid to hear God's answer. I think that while we face different issues and we feel like sometimes people can't understand what we're going through (and it's true, Christ is the only one who can completely understand) I think we should try to remember that there ARE people who share parts of your experiences, and who understand the things we have in common. Feelings of unworthiness, abandonment, fear...

    And while I may not agree with everything I hear from homosexuals who have shared their stories like this one, I do agree with what I think is the ultimate statement:
    "I know that as long as I am close and listening God will lead me where I need to be."

    Sometimes we get caught up in particulars. We think, "Well, HIS challenges are different from mine and he does this differently," when we're all trying to get to the same place, and we're all trying to follow God's individual plans for us as well as his Great Plan for all of us.

    I don't understand everything God does, but I know that He knows what he's doing when he gives us challenges. -Katria Hale

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I applaud Nick's courage. Although I cannot empathize with him, I can imagine that writing this and having it printed for many to read could possibly be terrifying at times. With that, I am reminded of something that I have thought about many times, and that is not having a fear of the world, but having a fear of God. Not the afraid kind of fear, but the respect fear, or worrying who to please. I believe Nick cares more about what God thinks, that what the world thinks, which is wonderful.

    I am not sure where the church's official stances will lead in the coming years, but I do believe, as Katria does, that as long as he remains close to God and listens to him, as Nick says, I'm sure he will be heading in the right direction. God bless you, Nick.

    --Bryce Cook--

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the bravery that Nick has established in order to open up about his struggle. There are many in the church and out of the church that are struggling with same-sex attraction and feel that they are somehow a sinner for the feelings that they have. This Student Review can give hope and reassurance to those also struggling with coming to means with their feelings of same-sex attraction.

    We in the church need to support, love, and accept our gay brothers and sisters for who they are, especially those who choose to leave. We have no idea what it must be like to grow up Mormon and gay. Their relationship with God and the church is their business and we are in no position to judge them, their righteousness, or their choices.

    -Merrili Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that Nick is demonstrating a great act of bravery. He wants to be in a good relationship but has to deny himself that because it wouldn't work for him. However, I don't think that he should write off the idea of ever having a "normal" relationship. Perhaps he will always deal with same-sex attraction. We can't really say whether he will or not. But, we do know that it is possible for change to occur.
    My hope after reading this is that he will find what he is looking for, and that it will be natural for him. If that doesn't happen, I believe that he is doing a wonderful job of being an example to others in his same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it is hard to have the courage first to face you have a different sexual attraction that the rest opf the society is expectin you to have.
    Now we all are weak in some sense, so he should not feel guilty,he should be a really brave guy as he is . He is willing to face his problem and still respectful from others.
    I am not sating he is right by felling that sexual attraction but I believe he never should give up trying to understand better hid divine nature as a man, I believe that people who always work hard to do what God ask them to do in a sincere way, at the end they would understand their divine nature as men or women.
    Wendy Pacheco

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought of homosexuality as a topic I should never touch. It has always seemed foreign to me and I've never understood it until this class. I still don't understand it, but I feel like I've been able to grasp the concept better and I now realize just how difficult it is for people with this tendency, and how same gender attraction isn't something you can just go through therapy to get rid of, it's a part of these people. I think more people need to understand that, especially on the BYU campus. I think it's amazing that Charlie and others have made a conscious effort to make more students aware of the predicament gay Mormons are in and that we need to be more sensitive when casually speaking about gays and our views on their circumstances.
    -Spencer Myler

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I read this article, it was interesting to me to see a different perspective that I hadn't really considered before. Although I have never experienced the same gender attraction that caused Nick's struggles, I have experienced temptations of my own. While homosexuality can seem like a moral issue of wrong and right to those who have never struggled with it, we all must admit that we have our own natural tendencies... those temptations that constantly plague us. I really appreciated Nick's story because he demonstrated what we all must do in this life. We must learn to live with those temptations while staying true and faithful to our beliefs. Having faith that Heavenly Father will guide us, we can learn, as Nick has, to deal with our challenges.
    -Rachel England

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have noticed over the last week or so an increase in talk about same-gender attraction. Before the guest speakers came into class I never really had thought much about this subject. I feel like I have a better understanding now and find myself being less judgmental of others. I was talking to a friend last night and he said some things that showed how ignorant a lot of people are on this subject. I find it amazing that people like Nick and others are willing to share their stories and educate people more on same-gender attraction. I definitely would say that I am mostly pro gay rights, other than the right to marriage.

    -Erik Porter

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading this article by Nick. I think he is a brave young man. I think that there are many members of the church that don't understand much about same gender attraction and how the church feels about it. I thought his discussion about living the law of chastity is right on. We shouldn't ever judge a person based on the way that Satan tempts them. Simply having those feelings is vastly different than acting on them. I'm glad that he explained that he felt that God still loved him, even when he was going through these struggles. All that being said, I'm not quite sure what he meant when he said "I do not believe that I will pass through this life companion-less" while maintaining that "to enter into a relationship with a young woman, when I could never truly care for her as she needed, would be deceptive and wrong". His use of the word never makes it sound like he thinks God would be okay with him being in a relationship with another male, but he did say he would keep the law of chastity. I think that he was trying to say he believed that it is possible for God to help him change his desires. I applaud his faith in Christ, and his courage to tell his story to help others understand this difficult issue.

    Landon Morgan

    ReplyDelete